Is This a Plastic Injection Machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This a Plastic Injection Machine?

In some recent travels I came across this little doohickey and it followed me home. My guess is it's a plastic injection machine, a very little one.

Can anyone (Liger Zero) tell me anything about what I've found here? Plasticor's web site doesn't seem to mention machine sales, just services and whatnot...

Aside from firing hot molten plastics at myself, what can I do with this thing?

What other equipment do I need to make having this thing in my shop worth while?

Is it worth even keeping it, or should I find a way to turn it into a bench top milling machine?

You pour the plastic pellets into the tray, they fall into the pot. You clamp a wee mold using the lever, and by whatever means you fire the air cylinder to shoot the plastic-melt into the wee mold.

Then you take the mold out, open it up and figure out how to get the %%$$!ing part out without damaging it.

I will GLADLY take it off your hands... contact me via the private message function.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

hmmm - How much did you pay for it?

Some guy on Ebay is selling one for $2100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150372482811

Comment

That's a bit steep for this model.
        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

Ok given the lack of reply from Mr. Knobbie I can only assume that he plugged it in turned it on and promptly injectioned himself into a mold. He is now trapped until someone comes by and opens the mold and lets him out.

...he will be missed.

*rummages through RK's tool collection* Oooh! Endmills!

Comment

$2100? Yikes.

I'm not looking to get rid of it just yet. I need a chance to singe my eyebrows off with it first, then I'll be putting it out by the curb and I'll let you guys know at least half an hour before they come pick it up.

What kind of plastic pellets do I stick in there? ground up coke bottles, shreded tires, chewed toe nails, or what?

Can anyone direct me to a good write up about what goes into a good plastic mold (besides plastic)?

Thanks!

Comment

No, I haven't injected myself into a mold yet, and I'd appreciate your descretion in NOT handling my end mills, sir.

Comment

You can also use it to mold wax as the first step in lost wax casting.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieKnobbie
                  $2100? Yikes.

I'm not looking to get rid of it just yet. I need a chance to singe my eyebrows off with it first, then I'll be putting it out by the curb and I'll let you guys know at least half an hour before they come pick it up.

In all seriousness, let me know if you want to part with it. I have cash I have shipping resources.

What kind of plastic pellets do I stick in there? ground up coke bottles, shreded tires, chewed toe nails, or what?
                  Tire rubber is thermoset, it won't melt again. Coke bottles are PET, you won't get the same clarity on remelt but if your machine gets hot enough they might work.

I would contact a company like IASCO and get some HDPE or styrene pellets to try. In the end it comes down to the pressure it can generate and the capacity of the heat chamber to melt. Plastics can range from 290 to 600 degrees, styrene is a good place to start as is HDPE. HDPE can also be scrounged from milk bottles.

Can anyone direct me to a good write up about what goes into a good plastic mold (besides plastic)?

Thanks!
                  I PM'd you some advice. I will also put up some information on my forum shortly since I've gotten several questions of this nature recently.

In fact, could you post these pictures over there as well?

EDIT:

GENERAL ADVICE ON BENCHTOP MOLDING MACHINES:

http://plecostomus.11.forumer.com/vi....php?p=137#137
                  Last edited by Liger Zero; 09-12-2010, 09:30 PM. Reason: http://plecostomus.11.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?p=137#137

Comment

Looked at your site LZ. Great stuff! I've always wanted to mess with injection molding but for now your site will keep me going......

Thanks,
                    Pete
                    1973 SB 10K .
                    BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Many of the high schools had that exact injection molder back in the day when they actually taught something useful in school. I still have a few of the coasters, bottle caps, and checkers that were made using them.

Pellets of polystyrene and polyethelyn were the two main plastics we used in those style machines.

As Liger mentioned, getting the parts out was always the interesting part. If you want to sell it, I would be interested as well.

Robert

Comment

So those of you who own these machines, what do you actually use them for?

As others have mentioned they are worth some money and the demand is high for them, so someone is using them.

TMT

Comment

Well if you can master the epoxy mold technique you can take an existing one-off item and duplicate it dozens of times in plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by 10KPete
                            Looked at your site LZ. Great stuff! I've always wanted to mess with injection molding but for now your site will keep me going......

Thanks,
                            Pete
                            Feel free to join up. As I get more "internet cred" I will be purchasing some new benchtop machines to review at length, an I will eventually will do a "how to" for epoxy molds.

Comment

Anyone have an idea of what these small molding machines are worth? I have a small lever-operated one that seems to be in a never get round to using it state.

Comment

Working...
                              X