• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new South Bend 10k

Have you guys seen this yet?-

More pics and info-
    http://southbendlathe.com/lathes/10K-Lathe.aspx

Steve

It certainly is a fine looking piece of equipment, but I shudder to think what one costs.

Comment

I think it will be priced around $5K. That price puts it in the 14x40 class of the typical Asian made lathe.

I think they will sell a lot of them at first. Long term I am not so sure.

Sure does look nice though.

Steve

Comment

Over on the PM's South Bend site PapaGrizzley quoted $4,999.00 .
        The AMERICAN made base is extra. They are the same Co. that made the original bases for South bend.
        He also posted another picture of the belt drive system and a few specs of the machine.

Hal

Comment

You can see the full specs and pictures in the new South Bend pdf catalog on their website.

http://images.southbendlathe.com/cat...endCatalog.pdf

Comment

If it works as well as it looks that will be a winner. I would say that is a very fine job of maintaining the eye appeal of the originals. Now all I need is a spare 5K to spend...

I see that the swing over the carriage is actually 11.2 inches. Nice.
            Last edited by Evan; 09-13-2010, 02:09 PM.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I wish they the best.

What improvements have they made over the old design?

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by Hal
                Over on the PM's South Bend site PapaGrizzley quoted $4,999.00 .
                The AMERICAN made base is extra. They are the same Co. that made the original bases for South bend.
                He also posted another picture of the belt drive system and a few specs of the machine.

Hal
                Is the entire machine of American origin or just the parts they want to tell u about that are?

TMT

Comment

Well, it will be interesting to see how it goes for the big green bear. I hope they do well.

I did look through the pdf of the South Bend catalog

Two thoughts,

They are making (page 36) South Bend collets. I am curious of the overall performance. I would guess that they are better than the bottom of the bucket import stuff. And will ebay users now state "the original" or something similar on the South Bend Collets of the past?

Also, I cant imagine what the cast workbench legs will cost (page 41) but it would be nice to have a set of them. I would bet that they can make a table solid.

rock~
                  Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                    I see that the swing over the carriage is actually 11.2 inches. Nice.
                    Where do you get that? I'm seeing "swing over bed" as 10.37", over the carriage it'd be considerably less. (ref: link by Waterlogged)

(added)
                    Oh, I think you were looking at the 13 X 40" tool room lathe, Model SB1051. The specs for it do show 11.02 swing over saddle.
                    Last edited by lynnl; 09-13-2010, 02:30 PM.
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
                      Is the entire machine of American origin or just the parts they want to tell u about that are?

TMT
                      The stand is American made the rest of the machine is made in Taiwan by the same people that made the South Bend Turnado's. If the machien was totally American made I would say the machine would be roughly twice the price. He was adament about keeping the price down to where hobbiest could actually afford it.
                      As far as improvements, the machine has oilers everywhere as apposed to the original having virtually none. A D1-3 camlock spindle is standard, no threaded chucks. Tapered spindle bearings instead of sleeve bearings. The bed is hardened and ground, the drive sysytem is a 1hp versus 1/2hp original. The tailstock quill is hardened and ground also with 3.375" travel versus the original soft one with only 2 .062" travel. No back gear but a double serpentine drive system that gives 8 speeds from 65rpm-1200rpm. It also has a metric and imperial gear box standard. It also has stiffer more robust bed than the original 10K and weighs more. All in all it should be a decent lathe!! I am waiting to see what the new Heavy 10 will look like then I might buy one of the machines to replace my old South Bend 9" machine.
                      Last edited by Mcruff; 09-13-2010, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                        I would say that is a very fine job of maintaining the eye appeal of the originals.
                        This is one thing chinese learned to do well.
                        Mike
                        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

I find the picture of the new Southbend quite nostalgic. I had a Smart and Brown , Sabel over 40 years ago which if I remember rightly were made under licence here in th UK from Southbend. It's hardly changed in all these years the carriage and tailstock look identical, don't know about the headstock looks very similar mine ran in cast iron bearings with a hardened steel mandrel. I had this lathe for years never once had to adjust the bearings.
                          Happy days, hope the new ones are as good ???? David

Comment

This is one thing chinese learned to do well
                            I doubt they had anything to say about it. They were told to make it like the print.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

5 grand for a small lathe should get you a QCTP instead of the four-way, I should think, or at least the chance to choose.
                              Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                              Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                              Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Working...
                              X