What machines have Jarno No. 7 Taper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What machines have Jarno No. 7 Taper?

I picked up a 12 inch test bar in a lot of tools I purchased. On the box it says No 7 Jarno Taper. I did some research and found that the Jarno taper stems from Oscar J Beale at B&S that came up with it and has a taper of 0.050" per inch or .600" per foot. My question is to find out what machines have a Jarno taper?

the 10EE has a Jarno taper, no idea what size though...
    Precision takes time.

Comment

I have always read and heard about the Jarno Taper ,but never in all my years ran across a machine that uses it. So that is an interesting question.
      Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
      http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
      http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

The Monarch 10EE's have a #12 JARNO taper.

Hal

Comment

10EEs have a Jarno 12. Tool grinders have Jarno. All jarno tapers have the same pitch, not variable like morse. The number signifies in 1/8ths the major gauge diameter.

Comment

American lathes have it in the head stock. Some grinders use it too. Jarno taper centers are NOT cheap!

mark61

Comment

I was told at one time that Ford Motor had settled on the Jarno as their standard, which would have meant at that time that machine tools supplied to them would have been built that way I presume.

Later: Okay, I found the reference in the Henry Ford Trade School Shop Theory book, 1934, 1941

In their shop catechism questions it says drills are usually made with Morse tapers, milling machines with Brown & Sharpe tapers, and that Ford uses the Jarno standard taper for lathes.

Question 4, on which taper system is the simplest and why, naturally describest the Jarno because you don't need to go look up tables for the dimensions of any Jarno. Large dia is Taper No/8, small dia is Taper No/10, and length is Taper No/2 since you know they're all .600/ft.
              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Some interesting and good information. Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll just have to go out and find a machine with a Jarno #7 taper so I can use my new test bar

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Lusby
                  Some interesting and good information. Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll just have to go out and find a machine with a Jarno #7 taper so I can use my new test bar

Always good to have an excuse to buy new machines!
                  This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                  Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                  Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero
                    Always good to have an excuse to buy new machines!
                    Especially a Monarch 10EE!!
                    Don Young

Comment

A tool like this could be used to set the head stock/tailstock alignment as it has a .050 per inch taper. There are other tools, but it has a use.
                      CCBW, MAH

Comment

Originally posted by Don Young
                        Especially a Monarch 10EE!!
                        Like you REALLY need an excuse to buy a 10EE.
                        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                        Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero
                          Like you REALLY need an excuse to buy a 10EE.
                          Goodie goodie. All the more reason to get one. It's on my short list of tools to acquire in the next few years.

Comment

Working...
                          X