Look at what my wife bought for me...Gloat, Gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look at what my wife bought for me...Gloat, Gloat

My wife is much more thorough and meticulous than I when it comes to scouring the Craigslist ads. She found an ad for a Bridgeport mill, mis-spelled and lost within the "General" category. She said it sounded like something I had been wanting, and to write to the seller and go and see it. And she said if it looks good, to drag it home.

So I did.

And here it is in my shop:

It's a 1972, in great condition. The flaking is still visible on the saddle/knee ways, it has just a few accident marks on the table, sounds like it should, and I couldn't measure any runout at all. Included in the deal is the KURT 6" swivel vise (so new it doesn't even have any scratches or marks on the paint, and only one little divot on one of the soft jaws) and a set of "In Motion Quick Change" tool holders from Diamond Tool & Die, Oakland, CA. (for R-8 spindles) and a set of work hold-downs from Enco.

Only drawback is the Erickson Quick Change spindle and the future expense of tooling it up. This is the mill I was asking about late last week in another thread.

So now I have to get off my lazy butt and get my phase converter wired up, and move this thing across the shop to it's appointed corner.

The "In Motion Quick Change" system doesn't fit this mill, so I'll probably sell it eventually.

Lucky S-%- 8 my wife doesn't even know how to cook. Much-less listen to what I might be looking for. Great deals are still out there you just have to get creative on the spelling. Nice score.

Comment

uickchange

John,

My 1964 Bport has a Erickson Quick Change spindle. I also did not want to spend a fortune on tool holders or wait around to get them slowly on Ebay. What I was able to do was to remove the Erickson collar from the spindle nose (just the locking collar) and use NMTB-30 tool holders. My mill had the hollow spindle so a draw-bar was no problem. I have been told that not all QC spindles are hollow so you might be stuck with no options. I just thought I would share my solution.

Robin

PS: Your wife sounds like a neat and understanding lady, buy her something she wants
      Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Geez,having a wife that spots machine tools for you,lucky dog!
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

yes.. buy that woman something nice.

My wife can cook, and takes no interest in whatever I drag home So long as her car can park in the garage, she tolerates me and my mess. Next week I drag home a cnc BP... wonder if she'll notice that beside the other BP (backup plan - that one is going to be sold)
          Last edited by lakeside53; 09-15-2010, 12:31 AM.

Comment

ok, I thought i was a good cave man, but you've got the little woman bird dogging machine tools? "We're not worthy, we're not worthy"

congrats on seems like a very nice machine

Comment

Lakeside,

You are welcome to store the CNC in my shop if the wife objects. I'm only 3 hours east
              I promise to keep it lubed and run weekly to maintain it for you

R.
              Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

might need a bed also

Comment

You have a nice wife John! Mine dosen't mind what I buy as long as I don't mind what she buys! I just can't work out how she can wear so many pairs of shoes! I just picked up the grinder I bought on Ebay today, actually an Elliott 8-20 surface grinder, no us boring the wife with details is there?
                  Will

Comment

I'd either buy or make that woman sumthin,she went above and beyond.

Wife and I could seemingly(to me at least)be having a serious,capital investment discussion regarding general tool infrastructure here at the estate and then............riiiiiiing.........riiiiiing.Oh well,there went that discussion.She does pretty good at appearing to be interested.Sounds like your wife is alittle more than interested.BW

Comment

My wife works out in the shop with us. She drives the forklift, mixes materials and cleans the molds. Recently spotted her feeding blanks to a CNC mill as well.

It helps that I've taken an interest in her hobbies. The flower garden attracts interesting bugs and the vegetable garden produces pickles. Well it produces cucumbers... which turn into pickles if you apply some Chemistry to them.

Can't seem to get into painting, I'm far too heavy-handed. My masterpiece "Colorful splotches and dark streaks on a white canvas" currently is hanging in my office. Someday it might be worth the original material costs.
                      This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                      Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                      Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Gee, my Levi's and new t-shirts and socks pale by comparison
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

That's a great find. I wish I could have found something like that when I was looking a while back.
                          Last edited by gnm109; 09-15-2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I wish I had that nice looking vise I see on your mill. I am still using an old fosil vise. I have been saying for years some day I will buy a good vise. I saw a nice bridgeport mill on craigslist for $800 last summer if I had a larger shop I would now own 2 mills with 1 antique vise. LOL.

Comment

Only really counts as a gloat if you also include the price.

Yea I'm jealous.

Comment

Working...
                              X