Forming Acetal gears.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forming Acetal gears.

Some weeks ago I showed how I had heat formed some lightweight ABS gears and Evan tried the same with Acetal. If I recall correctly, Evan tried heating the blank but the forming failed.

Now that I have some black plastic which is probably not Acetal but I tried it anyway. It is much harder than the ABS was and there was no sign of it forming without added head.

This time I put the blank on an arbor in the chuck and mounted the steel gear on the tool post, I pressed the gear against the rotating blank which started the familiar rumbling sound then I put my heat gun to the edge of the gear and when the rumbling eased I advanced the feed and repeated until the teeth were formed at full depth. Success!

Well formed teeth that appear to be full strength but I can not get rid of the hairy edges!

Load the 'hairy' gear with grease and proclaim victory.

Comment

So, would that be hobbing or forming?

Comment

Yea, Call the hairs 'Oil wicking surface' or something

Nice job.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Yes, obviously the technique needs a bit more development!

Comment

Originally posted by dp
            So, would that be hobbing or forming?
            fobbing, or horming

Comment

Would the hairy gears and unusual technique make this guerilla or gorilla machining then?
              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
              X