X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lever Collet Closers?

Has anyone got any pics of a lever collet closer any close ups will help,
    anything on how they work also would be grateful

Holy grail would be a picture of one exploded or diagrams?

I have a project on the horizon for the cnc lathe and the lever closer concept will be involved if i can work out a design, so any help is greatly appreciated

Photos of factory originals.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]

The real thing

Comment

squirrel: Epic reply. Loved the final closeup.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Geeeeez squirrel I stretched those pics across 2 monitors and still had to scroll a couple of inches!!!!!!!

Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Originally posted by sconisbee
            Has anyone got any pics of a lever collet closer
            You've had one example above, in 1:1 scale. Note that this uses a drawtube through the spindle to close the collet (i.e. the lever is at the back of the lathe) and hence restricts the spindle bore. Let's call this 'rear-closing'. Retro-fitting this type may be a challenge if there's a lot of flimsy sheet metal in this area of your machine.

The other common type is 'front-closing' and has the lever in front of the headstock, with the reaction point either attached to the headstock or on a bracket that bolts to the ways. I suspect these are more common in the UK. They don't restrict the spindle bore and can be easier to fit.

Search for 'burnerd lever collet' for some examples.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3802713.pdf
            http://www.ecolletchucks.com/USED%20...HUCK-INDEX.htm
            http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=40144
            http://www.nobilla.co.uk/ColheadS1s.JPG

What lathe is it for and what size are you looking to turn? Are you wanting to turn from a long bar or from pre-cut blanks? Do you need any kind of length control when the collet closes?

Comment

Originally posted by djc
              What lathe is it for and what size are you looking to turn? Are you wanting to turn from a long bar or from pre-cut blanks? Do you need any kind of length control when the collet closes?
              Its for a Boxford CNC lathe (not one of the baby training lathes) its got a 1 3/8" spindle bore and most of my work will be sub 1" for this project.

Long bar and precut blanks will be used, and yes ideally length control would be a big plus.

Squirrel, thats awesome thanks a ton, plently of food for thought there!

Comment

Originally posted by sconisbee
                Its for a Boxford CNC lathe...

Long bar and precut blanks will be used, and yes ideally length control would be a big plus.
                Hence, D1-3 or D1-4 spindle? If so, there's plenty of the Burnerd ones around.

Length control is easier with precut blanks as you can put a backstop in the spindle and any collet system will work.

It's a bit harder with bars as they can pull back into the spindle when the collet is tightened. It's here you are better with a dead length collet system.

Roughly speaking, the way length control is done is by keeping the collet fixed in relation to the spindle nose and moving the closing taper over it. Contrast this with, for example, ER collets, where the taper is fixed and the collet (and nut) move.

Comment

Yea its D1-3, I had thought of the ones that go infront of the spindle, however it will be run by air eventually so on the back out the way would be a plus, I've been playing with a design for a deadlength closer a little but nothing im happy with yet, I have an old turret lathe that has dead length setup but that uses propriatary collets. I ideally want to use 5c for interchangability between other fixtures.

Comment

Originally posted by dockrat
                    Geeeeez squirrel I stretched those pics across 2 monitors and still had to scroll a couple of inches!!!!!!!

Sorry, I did not realize they would be that large!!!

Comment

The SBL design is rather expensive and complicated to duplicate. Royal has a nice unit, it will more than likely cost less to buy the Royal closer than to make one your self. I had to make a Handwheel style closer for our Cylindrical grinder and WOW!... the materials alone were around $150 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                        Sorry, I did not realize they would be that large!!!
                        How about resizing them so I can see them. ? :-)
                        ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
                          How about resizing them so I can see them. ? :-)
                          ...lew...
                          Okay, just reload your page, the resized photos have been sent to the server.

Comment

Hey GREAT! Those are good. Could olmost build a closer from those
                            ideas.
                            Thanks.
                            ...lew...

Comment

Well, I know I'm reviving an old thread, but you never know when someone searching for what the OP was asking about will find this thread and make use of these photos.

I am rebuilding my first lathe - a Logan 11" model 1922 and I assembled the collet closer today. I don't necessarily think it's a Logan-made collet closer, although I have no idea.

I also have no idea how to use a collet closer. For example, why does one need the spindle nose protector piece? Can't the collet just cinch up inside the spindle nose and hold a workpiece steady without that?

Comment

Working...
                              X