Restoring the Old Gas Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring the Old Gas Cap

Here is a little project I finished up on Sunday. I got tired of not being able to see how much gas was left in the tank of my lawn tractor. As you can see by the first picture how after a while the gas attacks the plastic lens. I carefully turned out the remains of the original lens, hole sawed out a blank...... I used Lexan instead of plexi, I believe Lexan will not be affected as much by gas. After I cut the blank lens out I faced off an aluminum round and affixed the lens to it with double sided tape so I could turn down the edge of to fit the gage. Worked out just fine. It's a perfect press fit in. I may use some RTV ot something to permantly secure it in place, I also may have to drill a small .020 hole for air.

JL.............

Foops................... Forgot the finished picture. Dam site only lets you post 4 pics.

JL................

Comment

Gas Gauge

Nice job...I have the same problem on my JD 212 will I restored a few years ago. Never got this issue..Looks like a winter project once the snow comes.

Comment

Nice job! If you're like me you'll feel stupid every time you get on your lawn mower and appreciate damn gas cap I suffered with cement block sidewalk into the house for years. One summer I replaced it with concrete sidewalk. I lived in that house for about 8 years and I have to tell you, every time my damn feet hit that concrete it felt special to me. I never ever took it for granted The darn thing was only about 12 feet long
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

You did a good job on a common problem that is not often solved except by buying a new cap. I like that kind of resourcefulness.
          Don Young

Comment

Good job, amazing how long we put up with stuff just like that and then amazed how improved it is when it is repaired.

Comment

Working...
            X