X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enco 328-1310 Lathe-Mill-Drill 3 in 1 Multi-Machine

Hey Guy's,

Has anyone here purchased, worked with or on a:

(Enco 328-1310 Lathe-Mill-Drill 3 in 1 Multi-Machine)

I would like your comments and if you have a manual,
    is it possible for me to get a copy of it so I can research
    it to see if I want to purchase one.
    Thanks.
    Ken.

I'm sure that someone here can comment. I've not owned one of the multipurpose machines but others here do.

Just for fun, I looked at the Enco site. They don't have a manual posted for the 328-1310 but they do offer that machine for sale for $1979.00.

It's very similar to the multi-purpose machine sold under the Central Machinery label by our friends over at Harbor Freight. It's probably built in the same plant......It sells for $1,599.99 at H.F., although both Enco and H.F. often have deals on discounts and sometimes on shippping. Hope this helps.

Here's the manual for the H.F. machine....sure looks similar, doesn't it?

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...4999/44142.pdf

Comment

Grizzly and Smithy have similar machines, as does Harbor Freight.
      You can download manuals from Griz and HF usually, Griz manuals
      are much better (better printing and more readable, usually identical
      to the HF though). That said, the machine is very limited. Threading
      is extremely difficult because of the minimum lathe speed of 160 rpm
      and lack of a thread dial. The milling table is smallish and the machine
      envelope is limited. To judge, imagine a 3/8" drill bit in the drill chuck,
      remove the lathe parts and you have ~6" working space between
      the end of the chuck and the milling table into which the workpiece
      you are drilling must fit. Even a short
      drill bit is going to need 1-2" of that space. End mills ditto, though
      if you use 3MT collets instead of collet holders you get a bit more space.
      Last edited by sch; 09-23-2010, 04:11 PM.
      Steve

Comment

I would strongly suggest doing a search here on the 3-in-1 machines before buying that thing. While it may seem like a space saving and economical idea to have one machine do everything those things are so compromised by the attempt to get everything into one unit that nothing works very well, in fact hardly anything works right at all! On most of them the tail stock and tool posts are way to tall above the bed which leads to flex, a LOT of flex, and because of the lack of rigidity the mill on most of these machines is only good for Aluminum and plastics. You certainly can mill steel on them but you will do so with very light cuts, the lathe portion is not much better. They perform poorly and changing from one function to the other is a hassle, basically they may seem like a good idea but for me they are a real PITA! Do yourself a favor and check these things out thoroughly and make sure it will do what you need before spending the money on one, there is a reason that most people think they are nothing but junk!

Comment

Originally posted by gnm109
          Just for fun, I looked at the Enco site. They don't have a manual posted for the 328-1310 but they do offer that machine for sale for $1979.00.

It's very similar to the multi-purpose machine sold under the Central Machinery label by our friends over at Harbor Freight. It's probably built in the same plant......It sells for $1,599.99 at H.F., although both Enco and H.F. often have deals on discounts and sometimes on shippping. Hope this helps.

Here's the manual for the H.F. machine....sure looks similar, doesn't it?

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...4999/44142.pdf
          I don't know this for sure but I have a feeling that Enco get preferred shipments over Harbor Freight. I have bought a lot of stuff from both and in every instance the Enco stuff was better made. Can't say the same for much of the stuff I've purchased from HF. JMHO...
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
            I don't know this for sure but I have a feeling that Enco get preferred shipments over Harbor Freight. I have bought a lot of stuff from both and in every instance the Enco stuff was better made. Can't say the same for much of the stuff I've purchased from HF. JMHO...

Well, that's probably the case. I was only trying to make the point that the machines are all rather smilar and are probably all made in the same place.

The items from Enco seem to be on a good level of quality. I have a 13 X 40 Enco lathe that has served me well since 1994. I've looked at the HF models and, while similar, they do seem a little odd here and there, especially in the fit up and the look of the castings. Might just be my eyesight though. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog

My experience has been that there is no difference at all other than color and price and I base this on several examples not just hear-say. As I have explained in several previous posts this is an especially touchy subject for me because when I dumped my 3-in-1 and decided to buy a separate small mill and lathe (buying small was another huge mistake) I listened when people told me to buy the Jet machines because even though HF had mills and lathes that looked the same they were just "rejects" and were inferior to the more costly Jet which was "much better built". Well I spent nearly twice the price to buy the Jet 9x20 lathe and was not impressed with the quality and some months later, through a trade, I acquired a HF version 9x20 of the same machine and discovered they were actually the same thing except for the color (and of course the price)! When I say the same that is exactly what I mean the Jet was in no way any better than the HF machine and parts were interchangeable, that is why I traded some other stuff I had for the HF lathe. Later on when I decided to upgrade to my Harbor Freight 14x40, which was the best move I have made to date, I remembered being talked into spending an extra $575 on a name and I was not about to fall for that one again! When shopping for the larger machine I found that the Enco 14x40 I had been considering and the Birmingham YCL14x40 looked identical to the HF 14x40 as did a couple of other brands. A friend of mine has the Enco version which is what had sold me on that particular 14x40 anyway and since he is close by I have been able to compare them almost side by side and it is the same as with the Jet vs HF 9x20-they are the same thing! Just as with the Jet there is exactly zero difference in quality and the Enco is no better for the extra $1000 it cost (the HF version has gone up and price difference is not as great now) and he agrees that the only difference is color and price. Same thing with the tool grinder, over $200 at Enco and I bought mine on sale at HF for $99 and it is also the same as his Enco version, again except for the price. If you go to the Yahoo group on the 12x36 HF lathe you will find my story being repeated by others who have had almost the same experience and these guys will tell you that if you are going to buy Chinese anyway don't waste money on the exact same thing with a different name. That story about HF selling rejects that other companies turned away is common but it always seems to come from someone who has never owned a HF machine, no offense meant to anyone and I can certainly understand the thinking behind what got this started and I can also understand why someone would repeat it but I have found it to be untrue. The bottom line is that if you intend to buy a Chinese machine and HF has one that looks exactly like another brand they are, IMHO, indeed the same. Obviously HF has a lot of junk tools but their metal working machinery is the same as other outfits sell, the big stuff from 12x36 lathes on up is decent while the little machines are mostly junk but no more so than the same model from Enco or where-ever. My 14x40 HF lathe has been running almost everyday now for nearly two years without a whimper, is every bit as accurate as the Enco it is compared to and it so far shows no sighs of failing, if I were to buy again I would not hesitate to go to Harbor Freight for a lathe or mill.

Comment

Well, that's probably the case. I was only trying to make the point that the machines are all rather smilar and are probably all made in the same place.
                All the machines from China are made in the same place.!!!!!!!

Just because it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck doesn't mean it had the same mother duck.

Comment

Avoid it if you can

Convention would dictate buying a dedicated machine rather than one that would do three things UNLESS you were so cramped for space that you had no other alternative. I started with a lathe, then bought a mill, the first of three mills. You can mill on a lathe with some limits the same as you can turn on a mill (horizontal & vertical) with limitations also. Figure out in your mind what you want/need first.
                  One of the few three in one machines that does shine(although it is a welder, not a mill/lathe) is Miller's XMT series like the 304.
                  I bury my work

Comment

Originally posted by rancherbill
                    Just because it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck doesn't mean it had the same mother duck.

While that may be true it is also very likely that if a machine looks the same, holds up the same, has equal accuracy and interchangeable parts then it probably is the same so why pay more for a name? I would truly like to see those who believe the "HF reject" theory spend a little time with both a Jet and a HF 9x20 lathe and both the Enco and HF 14x40 Lathes and see if they still think the same thing after a few days. After having both of the small ones at the same time and comparing my 14x40 to the Enco 14x40 for almost two years now I can not see any difference at all. It is very likely that HF orders "X" number of machines just as Enco does and both companies get whatever comes off the line as the orders are filled. I would think it unlikely that there is an inspector going over each machine and saying "this one goes to Enco and this one to HF! I am seeing no evidence of that at all with the different brands that I have had the opportunity to compare.
                    Last edited by radkins; 09-24-2010, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by radkins
                      While that may be true it is also very likely that if a machine looks the same, holds up the same, has equal accuracy and interchangeable parts then it probably is the same so why pay more for a name? I would truly like to see those who believe the "HF reject" theory spend a little time with both a Jet and a HF 9x20 lathe and both the Enco and HF 14x40 Lathes and see if they still think the same thing after a few days. After having both of the small ones at the same time and comparing my 14x40 to the Enco 14x40 for almost two years now I can not see any difference at all. It is very likely that HF orders "X" number of machines just as Enco does and both companies get whatever comes off the line as the orders are filled. I would think it unlikely that there is an inspector going over each machine and saying "this one goes to Enco and this one to HF! I am seeing no evidence of that at all with the different brands that I have had the opportunity to compare.

You have now assured us (several times) that Harbor Freight items are identical in quality, measurement and operation as Jet, Enco, Grizzly and all others. At this point, I must request something more than your mere assurances. Perhaps some more detailed comparisons of the original test sheets from each new machine in your comparison.

I suggest as a minimum:

1. Spindle runout.
                      2. Weight
                      3. Casting quality comparisons (pictures please)
                      4. Power consumption
                      5. Measurement of lathe Z-slide straightness and parallelism.
                      6. Relative bed way hardness in Rockwell Numbers.
                      7. Variation in cut on a 1" test dowel for 12" length.
                      8. Control lash on Cross slide, Compound and Saddle.
                      9. Others I can't think of.

You have assured us that all of those specifications will be identical. Since you obviously can't have made all of those tests, there would seem to be no way for you to know for sure that all of the Chinese lathes are identical regardless of label.

I certainly don't know the answers to the questions I've posed but then I'm not the one proclaiming that the machines are all identical.

But I mean this in a nice way.

"The (Gentleman) doth protest too much, methinks." - William Shakespeare (Hamlet) Hamlet, Act 3, scene 2, line 254.

Comment

You have now assured us (several times) that Harbor Freight items are identical in quality, measurement and operation as Jet, Enco, Grizzly and all others.

Not quite, again I said different brands of the SAME MODELS I never EVER said all Enco , Grizzly, etc and ALL others are the same. I said the HF 9x20 and the Jet 9x20 are the same and they are but I said several other brands of the same machine appear to be identical, I know for sure about the HF vs Jet. On the Enco vs HF I have repeatedly said I have compared hands on operation but again I repeatedly said the Birmingham APPEARED to be the same and I have said more than once that I only looked at it I never ran it and that IMO it was also the same. No I have not done any in-depth testing but I have been around, and spent quite a bit of time running, both the HF and Enco versions of both 14x40s and I owned both the HF and Jet 9x20s for several years. I am not a highly experienced machinist and have pointed this out before but the fellow that has the Enco 14x40 has been a full time machinist from the middle 60's until he retired only a couple of years ago and he too agrees that his Enco and my HF lathe are indeed the same. People come here and say that HF sells only rejects that places like Enco turns away and they do so without a shred of real evidence and hardly anyone says a thing about it. On the other hand I have several years with the HF and Jet machines and two years almost daily with the HF and Enco 14x40s but I am asked to provide hard evidence of what I have stated as my opinion.

I do this for a reason, I got my arse burned because I listened to that BS line about the Jet being so much better than the HF 9x20 and I just wanted to make sure that those who ask about these machines get both sides of the story and don't make the same mistake I did, they can choose who to listen to. I have experience with the machines I am talking about and not just repeating some story that was told by someone else who has never owned either an Enco or Harbor Freight machine.
                        Last edited by radkins; 09-24-2010, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I read a thread several yrs. ago by someone who had spent time in the factories in China, don't remember what forum or specific brands, but he claimed they had inspectors on the floor that accepted or rejected castings for their line. The ones that they rejected were not junked, just set aside and used for some other brand. If that is true, and I see no reason to doubt it, then there could be a lot of quality difference in look alike machine tools.
                          James

Comment

Originally posted by J. Randall
                            I read a thread several yrs. ago by someone who had spent time in the factories in China, don't remember what forum or specific brands, but he claimed they had inspectors on the floor that accepted or rejected castings for their line. The ones that they rejected were not junked, just set aside and used for some other brand. If that is true, and I see no reason to doubt it, then there could be a lot of quality difference in look alike machine tools.
                            James

That seems to be the way the story usually goes and no offense meant but it always seems to be someone heard about someone who was an inspector. I certainly do not know that it is not true it may very well be but that is still just one side of the story and unsubstantiated at that, again my experience and that of a lot of other HF owners seem to be just the opposite. One thing I do know for certain is that I got shafted when I bought the Jet instead of the HF 9x20 and I saved over a $1000 by going to HF for my14x40 (using a 20% off coupon ) and after two years I could have done exactly nothing more with the Enco and I could not have gotten better service with it since the one I have has been trouble free so far. Is my case just a fluke? I doubt it as the guys at the yahoo group on the HF machines will attest to and my situation with the machine I have is the norm instead of being a fluke.

One more time I am NOT trying to say the Chinese machines are really good quality, the fact is that compared to real American and European iron they very likely do fall into the junk category and I am not saying they don't. What I am saying is that based on what I have SEEN, not just heard, that Chinese machines of the SAME MODELS seem to be the same regardless who's name is on them. I fell for that "HF may look the same but is actually a reject" nonsense once and it cost me but the second time I knew better and I could not be happier with my choice. Besides, of the people who actually own Chinese imports there are no more complaints about the HF machines than the one's from anywhere else, if there were where are they? Indeed most of the posts by people who own them are positive and just like the machines themselves the posts about the HF outfits seem to be exactly the same as from anywhere else IF it is the same model. It seems that by far most of the negative posts about the HF machines and the stories about them being rejects are from people who have never owned one and most likely have never owned any Chinese machine.

BTW, HF actually used a Birmingham owners/parts manual for their 14x40
                            Last edited by radkins; 09-25-2010, 12:34 AM.

Comment

My consensus (as is with many others here and on other forums) has been that unless you are wanting a machine shop in your closet to not consider a 3-in-1 machine.

I wanted a smithy Granite something aweful for a while and even joined the smithy discussion group. What I got out of it is that the milling head is a compromise in alot of ways. The biggest turn off for me is that, unlike a regular milling machine you can't easily raise and lower your mill head to go from milling to drilling since raising the mill head will loose your "zero" point. For most milling operations you are going from drills to mills to countersinks all the time, often in the same setup.

I found some guys were even doing extreme things like grinding down drill bits so they could use collets instead of the drill chuck, all to save from raising the mill.

I will say the Smithy granite is the best of all 3-in-1 machines, it has a Camlock spindle instead of the bolt on chuck crap you see on the other brands.

KEJR

Comment

Working...
                              X