Thrust Bearing on Drawbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrust Bearing on Drawbar

I had a brain storm or what ever. I have had trouble with using the drawbar on my SB9. It was a bit hard to tighten properly and even harder to loosen after turning the piece.

Then I remembered a left over thrust bearing I had on the shelf. I checked the OD of the drawbar and luckly it did match the thrust bearing. I also had two raceways (good washers) that matched it so all three went on and the difference was like night and day. Now I can tighten to the torque that feels right very easily and releasing it is so much easier. The thrust washer fits so well that it's hard to believe it was not original equipment.

Has anyone else done this? Are there any cautions or hidden drawbacks? I know I shouldn't overtighten, but any others?

I'm thinking of adding a bearing to the mill/drill's drawbar also but that is likely metric so I will have to order one.

Paul A.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Seem like it would be easy enough to find out how much to tighten it. Like snug plus 1/4 turn, something like that. Would you need something to keep it from loosening on its own?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

It's great when a plan comes together, right.?

------------------
      Paul G.
      Paul G.

Comment

Yea, tightening is very easy both in terms of applying the force and of judging when to stop. It does seem to stay put just fine for the machining operations.

I'm going to the auto supply today at lunch to see if I can get one for the Mill/Drill. I imagine a bronze washer would work almost as well as the roller bearings. Perhaps I will try that.

Paul A.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darryl:
        Seem like it would be easy enough to find out how much to tighten it. Like snug plus 1/4 turn, something like that. Would you need something to keep it from loosening on its own?</font>

[This message has been edited by Paul Alciatore (edited 12-02-2003).]
        Paul A.

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
        X