My new model diesels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new model diesels

Went ahead and made two. One was the learning engine, other was the good one. Easier to make two with the set ups are already in place. I think the learning engine maybe close enough to run.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I posted this question over at Chaskis site two weeks ago and never got a reply. The fuel seems to made with kerosine,ether,castor oil and 3% of amyl nitrate. Is this stuff avialible in the US? Can the fuel be bought premixed?
    Thanks,
    Ted

Neat looking engines. I see the blocks are made from alloy, but what about the cylinders?

Being engines for model aircraft, do you think there is any scope for weight reduction?
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Pistons are cast iron, and sleeves are steel. They are the Boll aero engines from the plans Chris Boll kindly supplied on the web.

Comment

when i worked at a hobby shop a few years ago i think there was bottles of model "diesel". I cant remember exactly, and im not sure if its still available, or if its what you are looking for.

Comment

Do the propellers rotate in different directions so that you don't end up with unbalanced torque when you are flying that workbench around.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Hi Ted:

If those are glow plug 2 strokes they aren't really diesels. The only similarity is that they require no spark for ignition.
            If I'm correct and they are like the Cox .049cc we use "Model airplane fuel" in Canada which I understand is a mix of Methanol and castor oil and can be found in any R/C hobby store.

They look pretty nice.
            Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

In the US, all the model engines are glow plug style that use nitro methane fuel. Thought it would be cool to have one that did not require a battery to start it. I have done a little research now and found out that the amyl nitrate is, or was a inhalant drug (locker room, rush.etc) that you can not buy in the US any more. Stupid me, should of checked into fuel before I started on them.I thought I could find fuel after I made the engines. It's only a 3% component of the fuel. (used as a combustion enhancer) Maybe I could leave it out and use a drill motor to start them? Both of them make a really sweet "pooping" sound when turned over.

Comment

I think you are mistaking the compression adjusters for glow plugs Mike.
                Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by MotorradMike
                  Hi Ted:

If those are glow plug 2 strokes they aren't really diesels. The only similarity is that they require no spark for ignition.
                  If I'm correct and they are like the Cox .049cc we use "Model airplane fuel" in Canada which I understand is a mix of Methanol and castor oil and can be found in any R/C hobby store.

They look pretty nice.
                  Those aren't glow engines, they are compression ignition engines.

Many pundits will argue ad nauseum that they aren't diesels because they don't have fuel injection but they do start and run well using compression ignition alone. Granted, the fuel is a big part of it but they do not use external batteries to start.

Ted, here's a link to Eric Clutton, "Dr. Diesel" who is one of the good guys and will tell you all you'd ever want to know about model diesels and will sell you good fuel ready to go. Just click on "Fuel." It's a very good site for a model diesel education as well.

http://www.cafes.net/doctordiesel/
                  Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

OK, I'm out.

Just listening.
                    Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Originally posted by mototed
                      Went ahead and made two. One was the learning engine, other was the good one. Easier to make two with the set ups are already in place. I think the learning engine maybe close enough to run.

Ted
                      If my tenth attempt looked as good as your learning engine, I'd be pretty smug. Nice looking engines.
                      Dan from Raleigh, NC

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.
                      "What is your host's purpose for the party? Surely not for you to enjoy yourself; if that were their sole purpose, they'd have sent champagne and women over to your place by taxi." P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Thanks Dickybird,
                        That looks like the link I was looking for

Comment

MrDan,
                          Thank you for the compliment. I wish some machinist guys would drop by and look over my shoulders. Books don't cut it! Those last .001"-.005" always screw me up.
                          Ted

Comment

IIRC, the diesel fuel for those has often got ether as a combustion initiator, not "enhancer".... But that may be only in Russia.

I have a Russian diesel that I have no fuel for (nor aircraft at the moment) but I am not good at reading the Russian instructions. it's an "MAP3", about 2.5 CC. The notes I had with it mentioned a considerable proportion of ether.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Motoed, I did some digging as I thought I had found a recipe on the internet for model diesel fuel. I found it but I have never tried it. There was a guy on another forum by the name of Joe Webster that designed a simple diesel airplane engine called the NGEZ. He listed this recipe with the notes for his engine. I googled his name and engine but the plans don't seem to be available any longer. Anyway, here is what his notes said.

"As a side note, model diesel fuel is not the same as automotive diesel. It is usually an equal part blend of three ingredients - kerosene, castor oil, and ether (1:1:1). Sometimes a small amount of amyl nitrate (2-3%) is added as an ignition improver - which is especially helpful in smaller engines. If you wish to make your own fuel, check the following internet resources for more info."
                              Jonathan P.

Comment

Working...
                              X