Roller stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller stands

I'm looking to buy a couple of folding roller stands for my shop. I intend to use them for supporting long materials on one side of my radial arm saw, as well as for my thickness planer, and my metal cutting bandsaw, and perhaps other machines. The stands will have to be of adjustable height, up to 41 inches . There are plenty of roller stands available, but I fear many of them are too flimsy to be useful. I suppose I could build some , but right now time is short . Has anyone bought some fairly good ones in the $30 price range ?

Mine is the home depot option. Make sure you measure your bandsaw height. I had to cut mine down.

Comment

I bought some roller conveyors off Craig's List and added folding table legs. Paid more than $30 for each of them, but they make cutting 4 X 8 sheets of plywood much easier and safer on my table saw.

Comment

I have six of these, two commercial ones and four I made with some SHS and second-hand conveyor rollers. They are very handy indeed.
        But I really wish I had a couple of the type that has a row of balls rather than just a roller. These allow the material to move in more than just one direction, so it would be much easier to move long/heavy stuff sideways on the stand to keep it aligned with the machine without having to drag it along the axis of the roller.

Comment

Has anyone built a set using scrap steel piping and steel angle? I think it might be sturdier than what you could get at Home Depot. Theirs looks like it will fall over under a load.

Best,

Nelson

Comment

The roller stands at the school were made from old pipe. Their major shortcoming is that they have three legs with the roller axis parallel to one side of the triangle. That makes the stand very prone to tipping when you move something the "wrong" way.
            Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

On a roll

Originally posted by Mike Burch
              I have six of these, two commercial ones and four I made with some SHS and second-hand conveyor rollers. They are very handy indeed.
              But I really wish I had a couple of the type that has a row of balls rather than just a roller. These allow the material to move in more than just one direction, so it would be much easier to move long/heavy stuff sideways on the stand to keep it aligned with the machine without having to drag it along the axis of the roller.
              Mike.

That slewing off to the side is caused by either or both the rollers not being horizontal (they move to the low side as if they were on one side of a cambered road) and if the roller centres are not square to the direction you want your material to go (the material tends to move in a direction square to the roller axis).

It helps if there is an adjustable side fence on the roller frame. I have seen rollers in the vertical face of the fence too as it reduces friction and makes it easier to move and "fine adjust" the work for cutting.

Comment

I use a roller (ball) stand from Menards. This one should satisfy your price criteria, yet it's a decent stand for common stuff like lumber of various sizes, etc.

Comment

Another vote for the ball type, for the reasons previously mentioned. I've got a pair of the roller type on adjustable stands and they suck, just too finickity.

Comment

I got a couple of the ball type from Sears, and IIRC they were well under the $30.00 range. They fold, having a scissor-leg assembly. The height adjustment is a clamp-type. They handle plywood, lumber and long steel, but I would not try I-beams.
                    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Working...
                    X