Champion B&F Drill Tool Gloat w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion B&F Drill Tool Gloat w/pics

I picked this up a few weeks ago on CL for $150. Champion Blower & Forge 20" with 1 1/2 hp that I wired 110v. It's in pretty decent shape, except for the power feed gears. I also got a spare flat belt with it. In back gear on the lowest speed she does 19rpm, I haven't checked all the other speeds yet. As a test I drilled a 1 1/4" hole in mild steel with a 1/4" pilot, no sweat. This is quite a step up from my old drill press that I was borrowing from my dad, so he finally got his back.

Before

[IMG][/IMG]

After a quick cleanup

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Tatered gears

[IMG][/IMG]

ME

I'm green with envy! I've been looking on CL for a drill press for a family friend. I've found that most people want 70-80% of new for a used press, no matter what the condition is...

Awesome find. Probably one of the best 150 bucks you can spend. I like tools like that - they are useable as they are but they also have some room for improvement. It makes for a fun project.

Comment

Nice find.

Boston gear, Martin gear, Stock Drive Products among others might give starting points for the gears. Or maybe you could convince Sir John to make you a couple while he's Beta testing the 4 axis miter/bevel gear features of that new gear software he's playing with lately. Shipping might be a bit of an issue though.
      Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Originally posted by camdigger
        Nice find.

Boston gear, Martin gear, Stock Drive Products among others might give starting points for the gears.
        If they are not easily obtainable, then I should be set with this.

[IMG][/IMG]

Of coarse, that's a whole nuther project.

ME

Comment

:drool:

Stop teasing us!

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
            :drool:

Stop teasing us!

OK

[IMG][/IMG]

ME

Comment

Good case of OIS.

Comment

Another gear source

I have used the gears from a differential from the auto scrap yard and just modified the mounting for slow speed it is easier and cheaper than most other options. Just a thought. Those old tools work great. Thanks for posting.
                Byron Boucher
                Burnet, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Boucher
                  I have used the gears from a differential from the auto scrap yard and just modified the mounting for slow speed it is easier and cheaper than most other options. Just a thought. Those old tools work great. Thanks for posting.
                  That's embarrassing! Especially when I'm constantly on the lookout for gears to salvage as for years, I had no way to cut even the simplest gear, and most projects I had in mind seemed to need a gear set.
                  Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan
                    Good case of OIS.

Ya and I'm pretty sure that it's terminal.

ME

Comment

1921 Champion ad

Comment

I hope that truck has extra heavy duty springs!
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Cool! Looks like the big one can make new gears for the small one.

Osha eat your hearts out.

Best regards, Jack

Comment

Working...
                          X