Baldor Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baldor Grinder

Just picked up a Baldor grinder at a local sale, its in good condition with a white wheel on one side and a fine grit light gray wheel on the other. Its the tool grinding type with the adjustable tables on each wheel. The device that goes on top to provide water cooling is missing, but otherwise in good condition. One issue, the motor is 3ph. What would be a method to use this thing on my shops 1ph electric? A small convertor work ok with a grinder? I knew it was a 3ph, but figured I could make it work. Looks to be made in the 70's I would guess. Any comments appreciated.

BigMo

use a vfd. Probably a better buy than any "pseudo" static phase converter @ aproximate price of $200.00 or less.
    gvasale

Comment

Originally posted by gvasale
      use a vfd. Probably a better buy than any "pseudo" static phase converter @ aproximate price of $200.00 or less.
      I totally agree on this. I've used driveswarehouse.com / hitachi drives with success before.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Brewster
        I totally agree on this. I've used driveswarehouse.com / hitachi drives with success before.

Ok, appreciate it.....actually I forgot about the VFD route. I will look into it...

Comment

That grinder is probably a Model 500. As others have said, buy a VFD that takes 110V single phase input. It's only about a 3/4hp motor. I like the TECO VFDs from dealersautomation.com myself.

Comment

A 110 in - 240 x 3ph out FVD can run you as little as $100. Dealers Electric had some GE/Fuji's on sale a while back (they still may be, I haven't looked).

I bought one and it's a real nice basic drive. WAY more than enough for running a grinder and unbeatable at the price.

Comment

replace the motor with a single phase one, cheapest option.

Comment

I've got a 3/4 horse (I think if your interested I'll check) static phase converter that's never been out of the box. You can have it for the postage if you want. Either PM me or reply here or email me at:

[email protected]

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by rdr
                  -Don't know if this is tongue-in-cheek or not, but if not...

The M500's motor is part and parcel of the grinder. To "replace" the motor, you'd basically just take the endbells and bolt them to a different machine. That presumes you either have access to a parts single-phase M500 (including functional rotor, stator, wiring, capacitor and housing) or would be buying them new from Baldor. (Which would cost more than buying the complete grinder.)

And don't suggest selling the Baldor and buying an import clone- the real thing is ten times the machine the import crap is.

On the other hand, a VFD on a 500 opens the possibility of using diamond wheels on steel tools, by slowing the wheel to reduce heating of the workpiece.

Doc.
                  Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by rdr
                    Huh huh u huh huh?

Comment

I've got a single phase reversible version of what you have, but with 2 different grit diamond wheels. First off, you're not missing anything by not having the drip pots. Basically useless for anything but being in the way and making a mess. IMO, go flood or run dry. Second, get an inexpensive VFD and forget the rest. Also gives you speed control, so you could slow it down and even use it for moderate lapping on steel (here the drip might work ok?) without damage to the diamond. But don't run it too long too low or it will over heat. Or at least put an external fan on it.

And I held out for a real Baldor, though severely tempted to get a HF at one of the many sales, and using one of the 20% coupons. In the end, I found the Baldor, looking near like new (except for mess of sludge from using the drip pots) with the near new diamond wheels for only a tiny bit more than the HF "kit" that comes with concrete wheels painted green. Nice tools are a pleasure to use. And, I'm so cheap that I often "touch up" or change the point radius on inserts. Wouldn't be without it.
                      Russ
                      Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Russ, can I ask where you were lucky enough to find the Baldor? I looked at Fleabay, and the Baldors there are not going cheap (all $200 or so)... I would like to buy a used Baldor rather than that "heavy duty" Grizzly.

Thanks...

Nelson

Comment

My Baldor

Ok Doc, LOL, ur killin me here, haha....now thats a nice unit there. Mine is not as pretty. I appreciate all the suggestions here on this grinder. I think the motor will cost more new than the whole unit probably. They list this model for $1100 or something on the home page for Baldor. This is a Model 510. You know I looked at the motor plate again yesterday, and it shows both 1ph and 3ph on the plate, but there is a mark or something on the 3ph stamping. It has a junction box of some type on the back with no wiring, I will pull that off today and see if there are two wires or three wires coming off it.....maybe the damn thing is 1ph after all. It has a weird rotary style switch on it that seems to be messed up going to the reverse side, I need to get some pics and show you men for a better idea. It doenst have the toggle like on Docs pic. It spins smooth and free with no roughness so the bearings should be ok. It has a serial no. of 7/54 or something, need to reverify that. Dont tell me that this thing is a 1954 model.

How much you want for that one Doc, and I will send this to you for some compenation towards that one, hehe.....

BigMo

Comment

Originally posted by rdr
                            It's posts like that, that have me to point I hardly ever bother posting
                            on forums like this. :-)
                            ...lew...

Comment

It would be a simple matter to come up with a 3 phase converter. For your Baldor grinder, you would need a 1 hp, 3 phase motor for an idler, a potential relay, some capacitors and a switch. There's nothing wrong with a 3 phase unit at all.

Here's a schematic for you.

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/a...-converter.png
                              Last edited by gnm109; 10-02-2010, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X