Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 3rd prototype water cooled Ruger 10/22 rifle

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My 3rd prototype water cooled Ruger 10/22 rifle

    Here's the latest photos of my 3rd prototype machine gun dress up kit stock for the Ruger 10/22.

    No modifications of any kind are done to the Ruger 10/22 receiver. It is still factory stock.

    3rd prototype, (2nd water cooled prototype) that also quick changes to an air cooled model in just a few seconds. All that's left to do is to fabricate the sights like I did on the last 2nd prototype and fabricate the tripod mount attachment piece for fitting to a standard camera tripod, drill, tap and install the drain plug and hose, get all the aluminum anodized and attach a crank fire trigger attachment to the trigger guard so it can be crank fired like a Gatling. And then get my production line set up. I got several quotes from machine shops for quantities on the parts, and it was just too much. There are actually quite a few parts. And I don't want the hassle of having these made over seas, with shipping and not being able to be there to see and fix any production mistakes. So I have decided to set up my own production line to make these myself in small production lots. I do wish I was able to find a machine shop that could make all the parts for a reasonable price so I don't have to make ALL the parts myself, but with the average cost being between $60. to $90. per shop hour on the quotes we got, that doesn't seem possible. Still will be a little while before they are in production, but getting there little by little. All the end user will have to do is get their factory standard stainless steel tapered barrel end threaded to 1/2 x 28 tpi at a local machine shop. I can make the kit easily work with an .092 bull barrel too, by machining the faux receiver front plate a little differently for the bull barrel.

    With 50 rd MWG mag in gun.


    With 25 rd Tactical Innovations mag in gun


    Quick changed to an air cooled model. Pic taken before I drilled & tapped & added hex button screws to the top cover also before I rounded ejection port ends.

    Last edited by Bill Akins; 10-02-2010, 05:13 AM.

  • #2
    Clever idea. Looks like you got some time into it. Machine shops might be busy now because with the economy the way it is business is deciding to repair existing machinery rather then order new. Until things pick up, you might have a hard time finding prices you can afford. Good luck, thanks for the pics!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

    It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice job Bill.

      Do you make your own crank for rapid fire?

      I have one that I picked up probably 25 years ago. Made of plastic and it clamps to the trigger guard.

      Four shots per revolution of the crank.

      It came with a letter from BATF that said it is legal as long as it is not run by a motor or spring, etc. It must be hand cranked.

      Good way to burn through a lot of 22's in my 10-22 Ruger.

      Do you have any videos of it being fired?

      Brian
      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

      THINK HARDER

      BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

      MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

      Comment


      • #4
        It came with a letter from BATF that said it is legal as long as it is not run by a motor or spring, etc. It must be hand cranked.
        Better check the state law on that. It's illegal in Ca and in Minnesota.

        From the Minnesota statutes:

        (d) "Trigger activator" means a removable manual or power driven trigger activating device constructed and designed so that, when attached to a firearm, the rate at which the trigger may be pulled increases and the rate of fire of the firearm increases to that of a machine gun.

        https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.67
        That covers ANY type of actuator, hand cranked or otherwise. The penalty is $10,000 and up to five years in prison.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

        Comment


        • #5
          There has been a lot of law suits related to hand cranks on guns.

          There was a company that connected 2 ruger 10-22 rifles together with 1 crank and tripod. As you turn the crank each gun would fire 90 degrees apart on the crank. There is no safety, if someone accident bumps the crank someone might get shot and killed.

          There was a company that made crank activators that attached to the trigger of just about any gun. You turn the crank it makes the gun shoot 4 times on one complete turn of the crank. There was no safety, again you accidently bump the crank someone might get shot and killed.

          I use to sell the crank activators at gun shows 25 years ago. I had 34 of them left over, I got afraid to sell anymore of them so I trashed them all about 5 years ago.

          Last thing I heard was both companies are now out of business.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bborr01
            Nice job Bill.

            Do you make your own crank for rapid fire?

            I have one that I picked up probably 25 years ago. Made of plastic and it clamps to the trigger guard.

            Four shots per revolution of the crank.

            It came with a letter from BATF that said it is legal as long as it is not run by a motor or spring, etc. It must be hand cranked.

            Good way to burn through a lot of 22's in my 10-22 Ruger.

            Do you have any videos of it being fired?

            Brian
            Thanks Brian. No I don't make my own crankfired trigger attachment. I use the BMF activator crankfire trigger activator and another brand also called the Gat trigger, BOTH OF WHICH ARE STILL MANUFACTURED AND SOLD. I think the BMF activator is the same one you described. I don't have any videos of this 3rd prototype being fired because I haven't made the mount attachment yet to mount it to a standard camera tripod. But you can see my 1st and 2nd prototypes firing on You Tube if on You Tube you type in "Worlds first water cooled Ruger 10/22"

            .

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Evan
              Better check the state law on that. It's illegal in Ca and in Minnesota.

              From the Minnesota statutes:



              That covers ANY type of actuator, hand cranked or otherwise. The penalty is $10,000 and up to five years in prison.
              Yes that is true. But that is only two states out of the whole country and since I live in Florida I don't have very much to worry about that. And when I finally get around to selling these dress up kits I can still sell them in Ca and Minnesota because I am not selling the crankfire trigger attachment which is made by another manufacturer. People in Ca and Minn can simply use normal style double triggers on each handle of my spade grips. That IS legal in those two states. A trigger for the left hand and a trigger for the right hand. You can get a pretty fast rate of fire going using right and left handed triggers together and those are not illegal in Ca and Minn because they are simply a separate trigger for the right hand and a separate trigger for the left hand. That is not an "actuator" trigger attachment, that is just an ambidextrious trigger for left and right hand shooting. The shooter still has to pull each trigger just as he normally would. It's just he has one for each hand so his left and right hand can share the load and stress of rapidly functioning a trigger for each hand. Neither Ca nor Minn have any laws precluding an ambidextrious left and right hand set of double triggers that are functioned as normal triggers.
              Last edited by Bill Akins; 10-02-2010, 05:27 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by gary350
                There has been a lot of law suits related to hand cranks on guns.

                There was a company that connected 2 ruger 10-22 rifles together with 1 crank and tripod. As you turn the crank each gun would fire 90 degrees apart on the crank. There is no safety, if someone accident bumps the crank someone might get shot and killed.

                There was a company that made crank activators that attached to the trigger of just about any gun. You turn the crank it makes the gun shoot 4 times on one complete turn of the crank. There was no safety, again you accidently bump the crank someone might get shot and killed.

                I use to sell the crank activators at gun shows 25 years ago. I had 34 of them left over, I got afraid to sell anymore of them so I trashed them all about 5 years ago.

                Last thing I heard was both companies are now out of business.
                I hate to say this, but you don't know what you are talking about and you obviously have no understanding of firearms or you would understand that the crankfire trigger attachments do not have to have a safety, BECAUSE THE FIREARM ITSELF HAS A SAFETY THAT YOU USE. IF YOU ENGAGE THE FIREARM'S SAFETY, IF YOU "BUMP" THE CRANK, IT STILL WILL NOT FIRE. SHEEEZ! For Pete's sake, please think. If you have a loaded firearm and you "bump" the trigger with your finger it will fire too won't it? But if you engage the safety built into the firearm if you "bump" the trigger it won't fire will it? Same is true with the crankfire activator. Attaching a crankfire activator onto your trigger guard does not disable the safety on your firearm.

                There are at least three crankfire trigger activator manufacturers still manufacturing them. BMF activator, The all metal Gat trigger and another one that makes it from plastic also called just "The Gat trigger". So crankfire trigger attachments are very much still in business and still very legal in all but two states.


                .
                Last edited by Bill Akins; 10-02-2010, 05:00 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bill Akins
                  There are at least three crankfire trigger activator manufacturers still manufacturing them. BMF activator
                  Cabela's sells the BMF Activator for $19.99 Someone call the BATF!


                  http://www.cabelas.com/product/BMF-A...=bmf+activator



                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJPDoSSM18A
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Appreciate the youtube link, lazlo.

                    I wondered how there could be any accuracy when that device was
                    operated. The video clears up the question.

                    .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The 10-22 is a very nice little rifle. I have one and have always been surprised that it wasn't banned here on the grounds that it can be turned into a pistol with about 15 minutes work. The exposed action is clean as a whistle and the stock comes off with just one screw. Chop the barrel and add a grip and bingo! 11 shots with the standard flush magazine and up to 50 or more with the extended versions.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by EddyCurr
                        Appreciate the youtube link, lazlo.

                        I wondered how there could be any accuracy when that device was
                        operated. The video clears up the question.

                        .
                        The guy in the video wasn't firing accurately at all. But if he had a bipod he would have been much more accurate. My first two prototypes are attached to tripods and they are very accurate. The tripod gives you a degree of accuracy using the BMF activator you just can't get firing it offhand like the guy in the video was doing. Look at me firing my first water cooled prototype in this video link and you will see it doesn't move the gun at all when I crankfire it because it is very secure in the tripod......

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFkGUC7Bo5U

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Evan
                          The 10-22 is a very nice little rifle. I have one and have always been surprised that it wasn't banned here on the grounds that it can be turned into a pistol with about 15 minutes work. The exposed action is clean as a whistle and the stock comes off with just one screw. Chop the barrel and add a grip and bingo! 11 shots with the standard flush magazine and up to 50 or more with the extended versions.
                          There are probably about 50,000 other firearms that you can do the same thing to. Should all of them be banned?

                          BTW, Ruger does make a pistol version of the 10-22.

                          http://www.ruger.com/products/22Charger/models.html
                          Jim H.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            There are probably about 50,000 other firearms that you can do the same thing to. Should all of them be banned?
                            I didn't say that, did I?
                            Last edited by Evan; 10-03-2010, 08:10 AM.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Evan
                              I didn't say that, did I?
                              No, you just said you were surprised the 10-22 had not been banned because of the apparent ease with which it can be turned into a handgun. By extension, are you surprised any rifle that can be easily converted into a handgun is not banned?

                              That statement can apply to almost any rifle or shotgun made, many can be cut down without even dismantling them. It is against the law to convert any long gun into a handgun.
                              Jim H.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X