step 1: place laptop in garbage can

step 2: buy a mac

step 3: turn it on and it works, it just works

gotta love mac

Leave a comment:

• rkepler
    replied
    Originally posted by lazlo
    I've walked several relatives through connecting WiFi over the phone, and I'd rather have a root canal.
    Last night I tried to talk my brother (a Windows guy) through getting into a wireless router on my parent's system (Mac to some router) so he could get his Windows laptop to see the network. I work more with Linux systems than anything.

We didn't get too far.

Leave a comment:

• Tony Ennis
    replied
    I have a switch. Instead of troublesome words, they have "orange" and "not orange" lolz.

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• terry_g
    replied
    Where does your wireless signal come from? Can you take your laptop to another location with wireless and see f it works there.
    There could be a problem with your wireless router/modem or what ever your using. Try restarting the router and modem.
    Sometimes I loose my internet connection and restarting the router and modem solves the problem.
    I had a wireless router that failed and would not let me connect to the internet. The laptop could see the signal from the failed router and
    connect to it but not to the internet yet all the internal settings were correct.
    Like someone said earlier check for a wireless switch on the laptop and make sure it is on, I fell for that once.

What are you using for wireless hardware?

Terry
    Last edited by terry_g; 10-02-2010, 11:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AD5MB
    replied
    http://www.wirelessforums.org/how-to...ing-96070.html

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Do you have access to a building with two or more stories? If so I'd like to recommend the "drop test".

The other option is to upgrade to XP.

Leave a comment:

• MotorradMike
    replied
    Originally posted by lazlo
    I've walked several relatives through connecting WiFi over the phone, and I'd rather have a root canal.
    HaHa

Exactly. One of you guys is going to have to go over there and stay for a week. Mine is working pretty well now but it's been about 18 months of lots of different people helping.
    I still have to do some strange things that make no sense about once a week but I'm happy, for now.
    Don't have Vista, happy about that too.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by Tony Ennis
    It won't let me connect to anything else because I'm connected to it.

And it won't discover the same wireless network I'm using right now.
    The XP/Vista/Win 7 wireless discovery works even when you're connected to another network. If you can't click on the active network in the try tab, you're not connected.

I've walked several relatives through connecting WiFi over the phone, and I'd rather have a root canal. To make things simpler, start with all authentication (WEP, WPA,..) disabled, the router disabled, the firewall turned off. Once you get that connecting, then systematically start turning your security back on. Make sure you enable WPA (wireless authentication).

If it makes you feel any better, it's far worse to set it up on Linux.

Leave a comment:

• Tony Ennis
    replied
    Garagemark, try looking at your firewall settings, or disabling your firewall on the Vista machine. You're behind a hardware router already, yes?

Leave a comment:

• Tony Ennis
    replied
    It won't let me connect to anything else because I'm connected to it.

And it won't discover the same wireless network I'm using right now.

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    When I click that icon, I get a little popup that says, "Unidentified Network / no internet access." There is no option to disconnect.
    That means you're not connected.

Leave a comment:

• Tony Ennis
    replied
    When I click that icon, I get a little popup that says, "Unidentified Network / no internet access." There is no option to disconnect. I have a link for "open network and sharing center" but I can't see how to proceed once I get there.

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Right now I'm fighting with a Win7 laptop, trying to get it to disconnect from a non-functional network from work, so I cna connect it to my home network.
    Click on the little in the tray bar, click on the connection you want to disconnect, and click "Disconnect"

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    I had a internet problem with my laptop with vista as well. I found a switch on the front bottom of the laptop that turns wireless on and off. lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X