Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ot- #*!$*@!! Vista

Let's just say I hate Vista. But....

Since that is what's on the war wagon's laptop, I (we) cannot figure out how to connect to the internet with it wirelessly. It finds my network just fine, and it can talk my other machines, but it WILL NOT connect to the Internet. Vista has a "map" that shows active paths. The map to the Internet is X'ed. I've tried private settings, public settings, and, well, just about everything else I can think of. But I haven't hit the combo right yet.

Any of you sharpsters out there know how to fix this POS? Yeah, I know, delete it and get Win7, Linux, or whatever. NOT AN OPTION.

Cummon guys- help me out. Maybe it'll get her off my back for a minute or two.

Amusing. Right now I'm fighting with a Win7 laptop, trying to get it to disconnect from a non-functional network from work, so I cna connect it to my home network. I've been working on it for 2 hours. So far, I haven't seen anything like a "disconnect from network" option.

Nor, so far, does it see my home network.

Comment

I had a internet problem with my laptop with vista as well. I found a switch on the front bottom of the laptop that turns wireless on and off. lol
      Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis
        Right now I'm fighting with a Win7 laptop, trying to get it to disconnect from a non-functional network from work, so I cna connect it to my home network.
        Click on the little in the tray bar, click on the connection you want to disconnect, and click "Disconnect"
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

When I click that icon, I get a little popup that says, "Unidentified Network / no internet access." There is no option to disconnect. I have a link for "open network and sharing center" but I can't see how to proceed once I get there.

Comment

When I click that icon, I get a little popup that says, "Unidentified Network / no internet access." There is no option to disconnect.
            That means you're not connected.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

It won't let me connect to anything else because I'm connected to it.

And it won't discover the same wireless network I'm using right now.

Comment

Garagemark, try looking at your firewall settings, or disabling your firewall on the Vista machine. You're behind a hardware router already, yes?

Comment

It won't let me connect to anything else because I'm connected to it.

And it won't discover the same wireless network I'm using right now.
                  The XP/Vista/Win 7 wireless discovery works even when you're connected to another network. If you can't click on the active network in the try tab, you're not connected.

I've walked several relatives through connecting WiFi over the phone, and I'd rather have a root canal. To make things simpler, start with all authentication (WEP, WPA,..) disabled, the router disabled, the firewall turned off. Once you get that connecting, then systematically start turning your security back on. Make sure you enable WPA (wireless authentication).

If it makes you feel any better, it's far worse to set it up on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                    I've walked several relatives through connecting WiFi over the phone, and I'd rather have a root canal.
                    HaHa

Exactly. One of you guys is going to have to go over there and stay for a week. Mine is working pretty well now but it's been about 18 months of lots of different people helping.
                    I still have to do some strange things that make no sense about once a week but I'm happy, for now.
                    Don't have Vista, happy about that too.

Good luck.
                    Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Do you have access to a building with two or more stories? If so I'd like to recommend the "drop test".

The other option is to upgrade to XP.

Comment

http://www.wirelessforums.org/how-to...ing-96070.html

Comment

Where does your wireless signal come from? Can you take your laptop to another location with wireless and see f it works there.
                          There could be a problem with your wireless router/modem or what ever your using. Try restarting the router and modem.
                          Sometimes I loose my internet connection and restarting the router and modem solves the problem.
                          I had a wireless router that failed and would not let me connect to the internet. The laptop could see the signal from the failed router and
                          connect to it but not to the internet yet all the internal settings were correct.
                          Like someone said earlier check for a wireless switch on the laptop and make sure it is on, I fell for that once.

What are you using for wireless hardware?

Terry
                          Last edited by terry_g; 10-02-2010, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Andy

Comment

I have a switch. Instead of troublesome words, they have "orange" and "not orange" lolz.

Comment

Working...
                              X