14" delta bandsaw setup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14" delta bandsaw setup question

I've used this bandsaw a lot but I'm curious if I have it setup correctly.

the instructions say to keep the bearing ~ 1/16" from the blade. if this is true, what is the bearing for?

Rob

When you feed the material into the blade it deflects back and the
    bearing then suports from deflecting further.
    ...lew...

Comment

No rubbing the bearing, when work is not pushing. AND keeps folks from adjusting the thing so the blade runs with great force on the bearing.

Comment

so the blade is supposed to make contact with the bearing when I'm cutting? but not when there isn't any force being applied.
        Rob

Comment

That's how I run mine, except I have a hair's width between the blade and bearing when I'm not cutting anything.

Comment

Originally posted by rmuell01
            so the blade is supposed to make contact with the bearing when I'm cutting? but not when there isn't any force being applied.

That's right. I have a 1971 Rockwell-Delta 14" woodcutting saw (one speed) that I bought new. I run the blade about 1/32" away from the upper and lower bearings.

That's a great bandsaw by the way. I have the 6" riser kit on mine.

Comment

By the way, what is the taper angle of the pin that is supposed to bridge the blade slot in the table of the ubiquitous Rockwell/Delt 14" saws? The pin on my saw is missing, but the hole is too chewed up to reliably measure. Given the chewing, maybe it's not even supposed to be tapered? I can't tell.

Comment

The tappered part of the pin is 1" long and is .327 at the end and .3415 at the head. If my math is correct that works out to about 1 degree tapper.

Comment

A common method of setting the clearance on all the blade guides is to use the width of a dollar bill.

Comment

Are you sure bout that width of a dollar bill thing? Seems that would be about 5" or so..... Just kidding I know u meant thickness.

That pin is probably a #4 taper pin, I checked one I have here and the numbers come up pretty close yours.

al
                    Last edited by The Fixer; 10-04-2010, 05:44 PM.
                    I spent most of my money on women and booze, the rest I just wasted.

Comment

I guess you could use a dollar bill if you had one handy. I just eyeball the guides so that they are just free of touching on each side on both upper and lower guide sets.

Comment

Originally posted by portlandRon
                        The tappered part of the pin is 1" long and is .327 at the end and .3415 at the head. If my math is correct that works out to about 1 degree tapper.
                        Thanks, portlandRon. I wonder if it's supposed to correspond to a 1/4" per foot standard taper pin? RKlopp

Comment

Originally posted by rklopp
                          Thanks, portlandRon. I wonder if it's supposed to correspond to a 1/4" per foot standard taper pin? RKlopp
                          I always wondered about that little pin. If you look at it, you can hardly detect that it's tapered. It's got to be 1 degree or less. I have no idea whether that's a standard taper. Apparently it just keeps that slot in the table from moving. I use it to hang my dust collector hose on the saw if I'm doing a lot of cutting at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by The Fixer
                            Are you sure bout that width of a dollar bill thing? Seems that would be about 5" or so..... Just kidding I know u meant thickness.

That pin is probably a #4 taper pin, I checked one I have here and the numbers come up pretty close yours.

al
                            I notice you're Canadian, thus can be forgiven, but a US bill is *exactly* 6" long. Very handy as a pocket ruler sometimes, in a pinch.

metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
                            X