OMG Live video on Chilean mine rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG Live video on Chilean mine rescue

They're attaching the cable to the rescue capsule. The U-bolt that holds the cable in one of the fittings doesn't fit, so they're spreading it with a tapered drift and a sledge hammer. Then the U-bolt won't go in the fitting. More hammering. Then the fitting won't go through the opening in the side of the capsule. They finally get it inside. I sure hope the rest of the rescue goes more smoothly than the cable attachment appeared to be going.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ Click on: Watch live: Workers prepare for rescue
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

They raised the capsule vertical, then lowered it back to the ground. It looks like they're not happy with the way the cable end fitting is arranged inside the capsule. The preffered tool apears to be a BFH, with a piece of 1" rebar running a close second.

Comment

They were going to log on here for help, but they saw the oil-well thread.
      This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
      Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
      Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Why are they having a problem? They have already run the capsule to the bottom and back up again.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

It's my understanding they were doing a dry run first, then all going well will send down a rescue worker to asses and assist the removal of the miners. They do seem to be spending a lot of time trying to keep the cable off the edge of the casing. Is there any reason for not having the wheel over the shaft directly verses off to the side as it is?
          If it wasn't done the hard way, I didn't do it.

Lillooet
          British Columbia
          Canada.

Comment

With so much metal fatigue the dry run may be the only one they get.
            "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

"Workers prepare for rescue" looks like a bunch of pinhead politicians posing for pictures to me.

"Wait, don't pull them up yet. Just 3 more good photos for the media and then feel free to free them."

Pfffft. Bring 'em home already!

Comment

subtitles would be nice or maybe an anouncer explaining what they are doing . . . .

Comment

commentary ..youll have to tune into the BBC for that .

all the best.markj

Comment

This long to get the first guy up,I think we're gonna be here awhile
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Anyone start a pool as to what point just below the surface they will "conveniently" get stuck, in order to afford the politicians another speaking/photo opportunity?

Comment

Oooops too late, first guy just popped out....

Comment

This is nutso. They're sending down more rescuers. I see they're even planning to send down two commandos. The guys have managed to stay alive for this long, why do they need more people down in the hole.

Seeing all the trouble they seem to have with the door, who's going to close the door when the last guy gets in the capsule???

Comment

By then they will have figured out how to close the door....I too, was wondering why another guy went down. Unless he is a Dr. or something going to treat some of the sick or injured.

I need to get the GF up here, so she can translate. At least she paid attention in Spanish class.

Comment

After reading this about six weeks ago....

At least five wives have been forced to come face to face with mistresses whose existence was kept from them by their husbands, who have been trapped more than 700 metres below since a cave-in on Aug 5. One miner has four women fighting over him in an effort to claim compensation.

I wonder if the reunion of some of the rescued miners and their wives will resemble a casting call for the Springer show.
                              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                              X