Bandsaw tires quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw tires quality

I've replaces original black rubber tires on my 14" Delta wood/metal bandsaw. My new tires are orange urethane from SGTool store on eBay. Each tire has a weld bump that is not helping the blade to stay put.

I've filed down that weld bump a little but it is still there. I also suspect that the tires are too soft for metal cutting.
    I want to get a new set of good quality tires with no bumps.
    Do you know where I can get some quality tires?

PS. My cheap Harbor Freight band saw( it does not have any tires) so far performing much better than Delta. I can dial in high tension easily with the original spring(for my Delta I had to buy a new one). The blade also has no drift unlike Delta.

I put urthane tires on my beaver wood bandsaw I restored, works fine once I got tracking right, has the weld bumps but they don't seem to cause any problems. Only 'problem' I noticed is now the tires are about 1/8" smaller diamiter, causing the blade to naturaly track a little more to the inside of the saw, making the zero clearance insert have to be removed to get the blade out as it doesnt line up with the slot in the table anymore..
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Dispense with the tires altogether and build up a thickness of masking tape.

At the suggestion of someone else here on this board a few years ago, I did that and found that it works better than the the tires.
      And surprisingly, the tape shows almost no wear or deterioration over time.

A darn sight cheaper too!
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

That is a lot of masking tape.
        I'll try it.
        It seems that urethane tires are too soft for metal cutting and are not suitable when you dial in a lot of tension compared to wood cutting.
        AlexK
        Last edited by AlexK; 10-15-2010, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Ureathane tires, in my opion are junk, they did not work on our saw. We removed the wheels and turned them down because the old rubber was hard to remove. Now it runs metal to metal without any problems.

Comment

Have you crowned the wheels or left them flat?

Comment

Flat, and now they run tru to the axle.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl
                Dispense with the tires altogether and build up a thickness of masking tape.

At the suggestion of someone else here on this board a few years ago, I did that and found that it works better than the the tires.
                And surprisingly, the tape shows almost no wear or deterioration over time.

A darn sight cheaper too!
                Never heard of that. Is this tip from the wood working world, or metal? I have a Delta Metal/Wood as well. Will give it a try. Any idea how thick a buildup is ideal?

Comment

My Craftsman wood saw shed it's tires several times. Perhaps the heat down here gets to them. In a fit of rage, I scoured my shop for alternatives. Finding some vegetable tanned leather of ~ 1/8" thickness, I cut the pieces to the correct width with a razor blade. Glued them in place with Gorilla Snot (super weatherstrip adhesive). They've been on the saw for about 2 years, and I've had no problem. Granted, I'm using this saw for only wood.

Comment

I got that tip on using Masking tape from someone else,been using it on three bandsaws for 20years or more.I don't use it on my horizontal metal bandsaw though.Guess it would work though! Cut a lot of metal on my Delta and it doesn't complain at all. I put enough tape on till it's about the same thickness as a tire would be.Pull it tight as you install it,wrap it the same direction the wheel turns,trim off any that laps over the rim of the wheel.I've used several colors of tape,might as well use good stuff!
                    George

Comment

Innertube

I have made the tires for my old Craftsman wood cutting bandsaw out of an old motorcycle innertube. A pevious set were made from a bicycle innertube. worked for 6 - 8 years. Truck or tractor innertube might be a bit thicker.

Comment

Working...
                      X