Biggest shafting in history. OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest shafting in history. OT

I'm not afraid of working on cars, I'm currently mid way through a complete resto and convertible chop of a 67 Morris, a 1275 Midget engine is in pieces on my bench as we speak. So......
    Anyway, my wifes 99 Mountaineer started misfiring and the "check engine" light cam on. Oh oh, thought I, O2 sensor or some electronics somewhere, better let the dealer take care of it. She took it to the dealer.
    Turns out it was a simple plug wire gone bad. Know what they charged to replace the plug wires?
    $297.00 labour and $197.70 for the wires!!!! Total of $494.70 plus tax!
    F%^&*ng outrageous! Is this typical for a Ford dealer? How long could it take?
    Grrrrrrr.......
    Ken

It's time to call your lawyer. Your wife is a victim of sexual discrimination as I guarantee they would not have charged a man that kind of a price for repairs, especially since only one plug wire was bad. They did not have to replace them all. She has been ripped off. Furthermore, I would post a letter to Ford's CEO via Registered Mail making a formal complaint. Rattle their cages--call the local TV station that likes to dig up dirt on businesses that operate in this fashion.

Comment

kenc,
      If it will make you feel any better to know that you are not alone I have had the same shaft (was yours knurled?) shoved up my arse twice in the last year. Two different shops, same results.
      To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

While I'm not familiar with that kind of vehicle, I almost had an experience like that with one of my past vehicles. It was a 96 Impala, to do plugs and wires was something like 6 hours labor. I managed to do it in just under 4 myself. Sure it wasn't easy, but god, 6 hours X way too much for shop rates ='s more $$ than I cared to spend.

I would definately go have a friendly talk with the service manager and see what he has to say.

Comment

What does the repair order say? There may be a "Diagnostic" charge in there too. What's the Shop-rate? Going rate around here is $60/hr. Some as high as $140/hr up in the big city.

Dealer markup on parts range FROM 150 to 800%. Being in the bodyshop business, I often need special clips or retainers. If I have to buy them from the dealer, the cost is outragess. A simple plastic clip that goes for $0.40 in bulk will cost $2.75 at the dealer. A SQSFF fender I pay $37 for will sell for $290 at the dealer.

Here's some things you may be paying for and not seeing itemized on the RO.
          Diagnostic Service - $49-89 (1-10 min.)
          Reset ECM error codes - $49 (1 min. job)
          Clean Servicing area - $40
          Tool usage fee - $25-50
          Shop Surcharge - $25 (High Risk, etc.)
          Shop Materials - 2-5% of labor charge
          Hazardous Waste Fee - $2-10
          Old Parts Disposal Fee - $2-5

All these aimed at reducing the $18,000+ per day it takes to keep a dealership open.

Buy American!

Comment

In florida, you should ask for a written estimate (the offer must be printed on every job order. If you do not check the box (and thats all you have to do) they can charge as they please. Check the box and they should do no work until you approve. But that all water under the dam now for you.

But I had friend- with 280Z. Dealer replaced all injectors 800 dollars back in the 70's. Friend took them to small claims court. Dealer had lawyer and factory rep present. We asked if six injectors could go bad at once. Factory rep said no. Judge said refund the money AND labor for the five that must have been good. Maybe you too can divide your bill by six. Six wires probably do not fail at once. Dealer may argue they failed on at at time and the car still ran. Just be sure you agree before hand that you will not bill for lawyer fees. My idiot friend wanted lawyer fees and witness fee. HAd we lost HE (friend) would have paid their lawyer, the factory rep, the service manager,plus probably more. My fee (just make it legal) was 1 dollar. His lawyer was considerably more. Lawyer did nothing except read the questions we had prepared. I would do it myself were I involved. Course man who represents himself has a fool for a rep.

Its a rotten deal any way you look at it.

Comment

Guys,
              I checked the part number for teh wires on the internet, first place I found was $93.99. So the dealer is charging an extra $104 over the "street" price for teh parts.
              The repair order states:
              Customer states check engine light on,
              Verified customer concern. Hooked up NGS-EEC and retrieved code P)#)*, cylinder misfire. Remove spark plug and install test plug, still runs rough. Replaced all spark plug wires, cleared codes, run engine and reset OK road tested retest again OK at this time.

Comment

I had to have the plug wires replaced on my PT Cruiser recently. A freekin chipmunk chewed them. Cost 92 dollars for the wires and $90 for the labor. In US$ that's about $130. I thought that was steep. I argued the shop materials charged and Glen took them off. He'd better, or I'll start charging the same way to fix their computers.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 12-03-2003).]
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

My wife was charged $565.00 for brake work on her 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. They replaced front rotors and pads. thats all. Rotors were warped so did need replacing. But why do rotors warp after only 40 g's. That car will never see the inside of that dealership again. My Toyota pick up had 140,000 when front rotors needed turning, Not replacing.

------------------
                  Paul G.
                  Paul G.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

Comment

Paul, I'm no expert mechanic (neither expert nor mechanic), but I've always heard (and believed) that brake rotors can easily warp if you happen to go thru a puddle of water soon after real hard braking. And I've suspected that in some of my own experiences.
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul Gauthier:
                        My wife was charged $565.00 for brake work on her 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. They replaced front rotors and pads. thats all. Rotors were warped so did need replacing. But why do rotors warp after only 40 g's. That car will never see the inside of that dealership again. My Toyota pick up had 140,000 when front rotors needed turning, Not replacing.

</font>

Paul. Put in a call to the Chrysler warranty number. The rotors on both cherokees and grand cherokees have been having that problem for a number of years. I had it on my 97 grand cherokee and they replaced them for just a labor charge. Chrysler admits its a metalurgy problem with the disks and not a cutomer caused problem. If not taken care of it can effect the life of your CV joints. Which is why I got rid of my GC. CV joints= $1200 per axel at the dealer.
                        I highly recomend getting a Hayes manual or a chilton manual for your car. They don't cover everything,but you can at least find out how to access the codes and what they mean.

Comment

The biggest shafting in history was the space based X-ray laser.

Comment

Rusty,

On a lot of the newer cars its a piece of cake to access the trouble codes. On my PT Cruiser all you do is hold down the trip meter reset knob while turning on the ignition. It then runs through a complete diagnostic including all lights on the panel, guage calibrations and displays any trouble codes. I keep a copy of the codes in the glove box so if anything goes wrong I can tell if it means a tow or a careful drive to the dealer. On many cars the codes can be accessed by turning the ignition on, off, on, off, on, within two seconds. Note: not to start but to run only. On the PT the codes are displayed on the electronic odometer which has an alphanumeric display.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

ALWAYS,ask them to save the old parts upfront. saves alot of hassel.

Comment

Working...
                              X