Retirement theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement theory

If a fellow that has been used to working on full-sized machines, and he finds that he is going to have to give up independent living and move into a retirement community, BUT, he wants to continue his hobby and to make things, should he consider a 3 in 1 machine, or the Micro_Lux or similar sized equiptment to take with him? These would probably have to be small enough to occupy part of the bedroom area.

I would ask the retirement community, if they would rent a garage space, and you would teach others to do basic machining. Plus that you would be ready to make parts for them at only cost of the garage space and the basic materials.

My mother sort of went thru the same thing, except she was a skeet and trap shooter years ago. She wanted to keep her trusty and getting rusty Remington Pump Gun handy. Well, the centers security officer has it in his office. I have the firing pin.

Jerry

Comment

There are some retirement communities that have shop areas including machine shops. One of my friends just moved to one in Pensecola, Florida. He said that he was surprised to see a shop of that size and so well equipped. Also said that if he had known that places like that existed he would have mover there sooner.

Some of the military retirement homes also have very extensive shop facilities. The one in Gulfport, MS is very good.

Joe

Comment

I've thought about this a bit, as my dad is in an assisted living facility. He's not particularly inerested in shop work so it's not an issue for him, but I've wondered what I would do if I lived there.

I think the first thing to do is, as others suggest, ask the particular retirement community what arrangements could be made. In the case of the place my dad is, I expect any machinery would have to fit into the apartment, somewhere. The community garage is a single cavernous space, and I don't think there is any spare basement space.

Even if there were spare basement space, however, I might be inclined to downsize considerably, anyway. When I'm at that stage of life I don't imagine I will be wanting to fling my 80-pound rotary table around with the same reckless abandon I do now, for instance. Even a 20-pound lathe chuck may start to feel pretty heavy.

Exactly what machinery to buy is an interesting question. Maybe something in the 5" lathe size, with comparable milling machine, would be appropriate. Some of the things people have created on small machines is flat out amazing, so I think one could have a perfectly good time with a smaller setup.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Of course if you can find a place with shop facilities already, that's the way to go. However, if you are indeed limited to one part of a bedroom, consider the Sherline machines. Both lathe and mill are small and easily portable (unlike a 3 in 1), and are nice machines. You will be limited to fairly small work, but that's all I do and I have a lot of fun.

Comment

Hopefully I will never have to move from my humble home, but should that happen I believe I would get a table top CNC lathe and miller and resign myself to small progects.

------------------
            Paul G.
            Paul G.

Comment

If "this person" needs assisted living, I would think twice about putting him near machinery. Special needs require special attention. Make sure the facility can provide the care as well as the attention.

Comment

Hi,

I find this thread interesting.

My thoughts are that if we are lucky, we all will be pursuing our hobbies till the day we quit breathing.

I am in my late 30's and after assisting my grandfather tool up a retirement shop in a retirement community (one side of a small garage), I decided that now is the time to squirrel away some tools for my own retirement which is decades away. Considering that smaller quality bench type machines are getting harder and harder to find, it may take me a few years to find what I want.

If you were going to tool up a retirement shop, what would you put in it?

TMT

Comment

TMT, I would want a 4 inch bench vise, a small portable bandsaw for cutting stock, a 6 inch grinder, a Micro-Mark 7 x 14 lathe (with all the goodies), and a Micro-Lux Miniature Milling Machine (with all the goodies), plus a handfull of good files.

Comment

Al....You doing good buddy !
                    Thats an excellent post.
                    We all face that decision.
                    My father-in-law was a heck of a Die Maker, and lived with us for 15 years, so he had my stuff, and his for a great retirement shop.
                    So size was not an issue.

Sun City West in Arizona has a full size machine shop that my cousin uses, but most places like that have a wood shop, not metal.
                    I was hoping one of my kids would follow my hobby and it would eliminate the decision...but that is not the situation...SO ??

Comment

Al

That is sort of the route I went, looking seriously for a Maximat 7 for many years before finding one. Always thought they were the Cat's Ass. Now I would rather have a 48"x60" slant bed CNC, 5 axis CNC loaded to the nuts, 4 axis Okuma lathe, and a milkshake machine. And an automatic cat pooper scooper.

Comment

I remember a few years ago there was an article or ad in Live Steam Magazine about plans for a retirement community in Fla. to cater to the retired live steamers. It was supposed to have a community running track, large community shop and individual storage for locomotives at each dwelling. I think the whole plan fell through.
                        Frank

Comment

Frank, That would be a whale of a good idea in my opinion. Hope that maybe the planners can make a go of it.

Comment

I think Al has got it pretty close. At 70 I've thought about this some (panic maybe?).
                            Bought Sherline mill and lathe several years ago to cancel the panic. Competent machines for what will always be a compromise. However, isn't it always? I still have not acquired a Hardinge HLV-H and time is flying.
                            Check the original Shop Wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt book for an interesting solution.
                            He put it all in a rolling wooden cabinet and made it disappear when not in use. Should fit about anywhere. Worth some thought.

------------------

Comment

Disguise it as an entertainment center or an amoir? Hummmm!! I like that idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X