Standard Modern Series 4000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Modern Series 4000

I have an opportunity to aquire a Standard Modern Series 4000 lathe wrapped up in this really cool 1975 military mobile machine shop.

I am having a hard time finding information about this lathe. It has "SM 26" as a label on it as well.

Anyone familiar with the ups and downs of this lathe? From what I understand the machine shop only has 500 hrs clocked .

I have been told (seen pic only) that the ways are about 48" and there is about 28" between the chuck and the tail stock. It has 4 different chucks and the taper attachment. All of the original badging appear to be there in the pics.

I have to drive 6 hours one way to look at this and then figure out the logistics to move a semi trailer home if I think it is worth the trouble.

I will post a couple pics tomorrow when I can get to a scanner at work.

Standard Modern are some of the best lathes ever built and are still made in Canada. If you do not buy this tell me where it is!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan
      Standard Modern are some of the best lathes ever built and are still made in Canada. If you do not buy this tell me where it is!
      Sounds like I ought to make time to go take a look. Wrapped up in the big box housing the lathe is also a Powermatic Drill Pess, Hobart Arc Welder, Baldur grinder, 3 hydraulic presses, and a 3-phsae generator to run it all....so I am told.

Sucks that I live in a neighborhood with an HOA

Comment

Originally posted by toyjeep73
        Sounds like I ought to make time to go take a look. Wrapped up in the big box housing the lathe is also a Powermatic Drill Pess, Hobart Arc Welder, Baldur grinder, 3 hydraulic presses, and a 3-phsae generator to run it all....so I am told.

Sucks that I live in a neighborhood with an HOA
        All top of the line equipment as the military always buys the best.

HOA's - the very reason I refused to buy a new house. Even though I'm in the process of repairing old termite damage on our house, I'm very glad I'm not in a gated community.

Comment

As you haven't let us know roughly where you live it's a bit tough to answer about how to move the trailer the equipment is located in but as I drove a truck for a living a few years ago I'll try and give you a few pointers.

Has that trailer been inspected recently? How long has it been sitting, Tires, brakes and maybe lights are going to be a issue if it's been sitting a fairly long time. You may be required to have the trailer inspected before it can be even insured.

If your buying the trailer along with the equipment you'll have to deal with a title transfer to insure the trailer.

If you live in a fairly large city it's fairly easy to rent a commercial rated tractor to haul the trailer but if you don't have a current class one licence in Canada or the equivelent in the U.S. you will have to hire a driver with that type of licence to rent the tractor for you or the better way would be to hire a owner/operator that has his own insured tractor. In Canada a rough price on a hourly basis would be around $100 per hr.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Comment

Standard Modern are some of the best lathes ever built
            Now that is a hell of a starting point.... I disagree but anyway..
            Precision takes time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringer
              We had some on the USS Samuel Gompers that after 10 ten years of service mounted on the very flexible steel deck of a ship could still hold +/- .0005" on the diameter. To me that's impressive.

The only other machine that came close was the American Pacemaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringer
                I disagree, too. We have a SM lathe at work and the shop that it's in doesn't do any kind of production work....It cuts a .003" taper over about 6"...Total piece of crap. The controls don't have the right "feel" like a good lathe should.

We are replacing it with a rebuilt Monarch Model 60.

Andy Pullen
                Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

Thanks for the tips Pete. I think the trailer is roadworthy, I know it has brand new tires atleast.

Here are a couple pics of the lathe:

Comment

That's a solid looking machine with minimal surface rust. Judging from the condition of the paint it has had very little use. I'd Google "standard modern lathe" and go to their web site. Contact them for info on the machine.

BTW, it is an older model judging from the taper mount on the spindle nose.

Comment

That's a solid looking machine with minimal surface rust. Judging from the condition of the paint it has had very little use. I'd Google "standard modern lathe" and go to their web site. Contact them for info on the machine.

BTW, it is an older model judging from the taper mount on the spindle nose.
                      It was made in '75 and supposedly the shop only has 500 hrs on the generator.

Comment

Happened to notice a more recent Standard Modern (16x60) on CL in Rhode Island:

http://providence.craigslist.org/tls/2019501683.html

Comment

Standard Modern are a well made engine lathe with many others occupying the ranks above |(and at high price points) its a well made solid mid range engine lathe.....very good for what it is, but far from top of the line....it just doesn't have the bells and whistles the best lathes have

if you're cutting a .003" taper in 6" that is a poorly set up lathe or a very worn one, not a hallmark of SM
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

QUOTE=Mcgyver]Standard Modern are a well made engine lathe with many others occupying the ranks above |(and at high price points) its a well made solid mid range engine lathe.....very good for what it is, but far from top of the line....it just doesn't have the bells and whistles the best lathes have

if you're cutting a .003" taper in 6" that is a poorly set up lathe or a very worn one, not a hallmark of SM[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear some more positive. I will be looking at it (and the entire mobile shop) next Friday. The price is RIGHT on this one, so all I needed to figure out is if it is worth the effort to move and store.

FWIW I have conviced someone to let me park this on their property untill i sort out how to remove the good stuff, or untill I move somewhere I can park it in my yard .... :grumble about HOA:

I can't wait to move ... :grumble more:

Comment

My Series 2000 1120 was made in 1968 and one can see the family lineage. I gather from the Tony Griffith site that these are 17" swing lathes. So that must be a reallllly short bed. 1720 perhaps?

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                              X