Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Choosing my first tattoo?

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-19-2004).]

Well dan , I have lived without a tat for 45 years, no harm done yet.

And i served in the navy.

Just my humble opinion.

JAY

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

Comment

[This message has been edited by BFHAMR (edited 12-05-2003).]

Comment

Off topic, but I'd like to say>>>>>>>>>

Before having something Pierced into "YOUR flesh" a little education from a artist of many years.

(1) Shop must not only have a autoclave at shop, but must use it, bagging seperate setup sterile tubes and needles for each customer. The old "I just set this machine up" Lie is used by many artist who have trouble tuning the machine. (must be tuned each time a different needle and tube is used) New needles are not clean till they have been autoclaved, someone made them, used silver solder on them too with flux.

(2) No animals at all in shop, clean, chair wiped each time. Use your nose to smell a nice hospital smell.

(3) Artist must appear clean, sober. (piercings and tattoos normal thou)

(4) of course gloves and other customer protection.

(5) Ink caps are disposable, ink bottles should appear clean also with no previous residue from handling.(transferred ink from previous tattoos) I prefer the Dynamic brand inks, they seem to be a polyester powder and heal up real fast. I recently purchased the "SHOW Quality Mario Barth" line of inks, they are brighter, win more shows, but heal slower. The old inks in the 70's some had mercury in them. Some were paint pigments. Anodized aluminum and titanium flakes.

Money is not a object, a good artist and shop may charge a little more but what you desire is "JUST a Quality tattoo" not any "extras" that might show up years to come. NO bargain shopping please or you might get one. Normal I charge $100 a hour, A hour will get you about 3-4 square inches of ink coverage.

Request Super-tight 3 needle liners, the lines seem to be aging pretty well. (10+ years) Your skin grows up and out.

David.

Comment

I have lived for a few decades without a tat, but my girl friend has a cute butterfly, you guys can guess were.

Jerry

Comment

A clean, dept. of health approved shop is where you start....then look over the artists portfolio to see the quality of her/his work.

Most of us are artists to begin with so if you have an unformed idea, a little discussion can yield a personally unique design that you won't see coming and going all around town...and will have more meaning to you.

Give enough thought to what you want on YOUR body and be open to guidance from your tattooer.....don't be strongarmed, but knowing what goes with what and where, is our job.

And with all due respect to Dave, if someone told me what kind of inks or needles to use, they would be crossing a line.....if you go to a professional shop, and select an artist whos work looks clean and solid, you can be fairly confident that the artist knows what tools to use for a particular task.....like I said, with all due respect to a senior tattooer.

Good luck, let us know how you make out!

John

p.s. if you want to email me for reputable shops in your area, I may be able to help.

Comment

Comment

Post pictures please Jerry.
                  Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I do not have a tattoo and have not studied the matter thoroughly, so I can not speak with authority. However, just some food for thought, when I was a kid (fourteen to be exact), I thought I would be really cool to have a big tattoo of a table saw with wings in the middle of my chest. Sometimes, I still think it would be cool.

------------------
                    NRA Life Member, and loving every minute of it!
                    NRA Life Member, and loving every minute of it!

Comment

If you have to collect consensus maybe you're not ready for a tattoo.

Just remember tatoos are a lot easier to get than remove. Changing you mind is not an option.

Look at the people in the tattoo art magazines. Most of them are ugly and their tatoos made no improvement.

Listen to the Gypsie about cleanliness. Tattoo parlors are a great shopping place for nasty diseases. 8 or 10 cases of hepatitus were traced to a local shop.

Tatoos do blur and fade over time even with modern inks.

Sooner or later your tatto will be seen by someone having power to change your life; employer, constituency if you ever run for office (candidate ...has a tattoo of a skull and snake on his...), judge at a court proceeding, etc. Make sure it's a good one.

A fine handsome exuberant kid I knew went on around the world a few times as a hand on blue water raceing yechts. He came back from his last cruise with some startling Polynesian style tattooing on his cheekbones and around his eyes, a product of too much New Zealand beer, bad friends, and an unspent bonus in his pocket. His mother was furious which is how I heard about it.

The kid went off to school and came back with an MBA and scholastic honors, many job offers (1996 or so), but no job. He never made the first cut on any of his offers. Apparently there's no room in business for a bright, talented, well educated young man with tattos on his cheekbones. He's presently managing a motorcycle shop in California someplace working and earning about 1/5 of his potential.

So after much gloomy comment I finish by saying, if you have to have a tattoo, you're going about it right making a long and careful consideration of just what kind of tattoo and where.

One to avoid: My uncle Kieth had a tattoo he got in San Diego in WW II. Above his belt was a sailor pulling on a rope. The rope extended down past his belt. I was dying of curiosity but I could never get my Uncle Kieth to tell me what was at the other end of the rope. When I was old enough to know about such things my dad told me. The other end of the rope was tied to the foot of a Marine being dragged from the crack of Uncle Kieth's butt.

Uncle Kieth was a SeaBee diver in WW II. He got a Bronze Star and several other Navy decorations including two purple hearts. When he was dressed up in his blues he had only two rows of ribbons of the dozens he was entitled to but they were such that Korean War era officers almost saluted him. A guy like that can have any tattoo he likes as far as I'm concerned but Kieth was profoundly ashamed of his.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 12-05-2003).]

Comment

How about a 3 jaw chuck tattooed on your butt?
                        This way after a good curry or something you could have a tattoo with a working range of 0" - 2"

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Whatever it is, make sure that it is something that will never change in your mind's eye. I have two, and they both have a symbolic meaning to me. I said I would never get a girl's name tatooed, but I did it anyway. On my upper right arm, I have a double loop band of barbed wire which loos like it is coming right out of my skin at two places. To me, it is a part of me with the wire encircling the names of my two daughters. No matter what happens in life, my girls are always with me. The other is an eagle on a stars and stripes background. It is my personal tribute to the lives lost on 9/11/01. They are something that I can say I will never be ashamed of. They are also in a place that can be covered easily with a short sleeve shirt, if I don't want others to see them. The cheek thing is a little too far out for me. I have had them for over a year now, and my father still doesn't know I got them. He is quite adamant about his dislike for tatoos, so I just keep them out of sight when he is around. It keeps the peace in the family. Good luck with your decision. I hope that you make it wisely.
                          Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

Comment

Comment

On tattoo's. Remember,customs do change. SO do tattoo (but not for the better).

A lot of the work I did overseas required willingness to leave the country in a hurry- Probably with second passport. I would not have been hired had I had a tattoo.

For those who worry about Gov't tracking you, a tattoo is purty solid evidence that you are the person. Unblemished skin is common and of no ID use.

I'd say anyone who is under 30 should avoid tattoos. Use the paste on stuff. Half the "Bikers" at motorcycle week at Daytona can wash them off.

According to one school I was sent to, tattoos fall into classes, some are "good" some are "bad". ALL indicate SOMETHING about your basic values of good and bad. Even hiding the tattoo has a meaning to the people who know where your tattoo is. Any person,including yours truly, can wind up in jail over night while not having done anything wrong. Tattoos mean different things to the inmates. At a minimum, they are topics of conversation.

Lack of a tattoo seldom hurts anyone, having one often does. As you age, your tastes change the tattoo don't (not for the better).

Commitment to a tattoo is worse than getting married- make a mistake with the tattoo and there is no REAL divorce- there are always remnants even if hard to detect.

The old "china hands" used to have some beautiful art work (tattoos), we kids admired them and their tattoos. Those men are now about 80 or older, still bearing the names and pictures selected in youth. the name and pictures have probably faded in importance but the tattoo is still that of a young man proclaiming "death before dishonor" or mother Think long and hard about the worst things a tattoo could bring on as the years pass.

I have a son in law, a tattooer and piercer who is a fine fellow, but his collection of tattoos has caused him much trouble- certain jobs (even in retail) are not available to him now.

"Paste them on and wash them off"

Comment

Working...
                              X