OT: Crooked EBay Buyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Crooked EBay Buyer

I don't know who this person is, but I would look out for mightypoo0 or '[email protected]'. The guy bought a steady rest from me on EBay. He then told me that it got broken in shipment. (Somehow I neglected to get insurance with the Post Office.) He then contacted me and EBay to make a complaint and cancel the sale. He had pictures of a damaged box and one of a similar steady with a tab broken off. I told him I would refund his money if he would return the damaged steady rest. He agreed. EBay has no way to deal with this type of a situation of holding payment until the item is returned. So I foolishly in good faith, returned his money and canceled the sale. Of course, after numerous emails to the SOB, he never returned the part.

Randy
    Last edited by randyjaco; 10-24-2010, 07:10 PM.
    Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

That is not right. Sorry for your misfortune.

Some bright light needs to get EscrowPal® up and running.

Comment

My favorite was from a woman who bought an item from me and left a glowing positive feed back for me. Only problem is she never paid me ! After waiting for over a month for my money I posted a comment under her feed back to me that she never paid and I posted positive feed back for her stating she was wonderful to deal with if you didn't expect her to pay. She called me every name in the book. She also contacted ebay and said her positive feed back was proof she paid (no pay pal record and that is the only form of payment I accepted ). Ebay sided with her, pulled my feed back to her but left her comments calling me a thief and a liar. That was one of my last eBay sales. 75% of my sales after that went unpaid for, what a pain.

Comment

Randy sorry to hear about this .Perhaps your act of kindness, is taken by him as an act of foolishness to exploit.
        It's the good people like you and others who get stuck like this sorry Buddy. He's just another rogue you should have asked for the parts to be returned before parting with money and in any case you did not break it , so if he forgot insurance tough,then it's his fault in a way too ..Alistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

These type of deals gone bad are becomming more frequent since ebay no longer allows sellers to leave negative feedback for a buyer.

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr
            Some bright light needs to get EscrowPal® up and running.
            I'm pretty sure eBay would not allow anything competitive with PayPal to last for long, if ever.

I'm working on a project right now that I'm thinking of turning into a kit (an Arduino-based CNC pendant) and the frequency of stories like this makes me really wary of accepting PayPal. I have a CC merchant account in my day job, and while they make you jump through hoops when customers complain, they at least seem to evaluate both sides of the story. PayPal seems to deal with fraud by making merchants swallow all the costs, on top of the fees they charge.

Comment

There is a way to handle it,an Ebay auction page is a contract,you simply stipulate your refund terms in the contract.If the buyer doesn't abide by those terms they can go pound sand.If the buyer doesn't like the terms they can buy elsewhere.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                There is a way to handle it,an Ebay auction page is a contract,you simply stipulate your refund terms in the contract.
                You can't do that Darin. Ebay specifically states that you're not allowed to set your own terms in the Ebay auction.

For awhile, some sellers would stipulate "Will refund purchase price only", and Ebay will now NARU you for that.

The Uniform Commercial Code (and therefore, Ebay and Paypal) requires you to return non-conforming goods (not as described in the auction). The UCC also requires the seller to refund the purchase price and the cost of shipping, but not the cost for the buyer to return the item.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                  You can't do that Darin. Ebay specifically states that you're not allowed to set your own terms in the Ebay auction.

For awhile, some sellers would stipulate "Will refund purchase price only", and Ebay will now NARU you for that.

The Uniform Commercial Code (and therefore, Ebay and Paypal) requires you to return non-conforming goods (not as described in the auction). The UCC also requires the seller to refund the purchase price and the cost of shipping, but not the cost for the buyer to return the item.
                  You said that the last time and your still wrong.

Also Non-conforing goods means items other than what is discribed in the auction-you shipped the wrong stuff.That does not apply to damaged goods,or claims of damaged goods.

Further from Ebay we have-

Terms and conditions
                  It's important that you clearly specify the terms and conditions of the sale in your listing, so buyers know what to expect.

What to do
                  You're required to include the following details in your listing:

Forms of payment you accept

Return policy

Restocking fee, if applicable

Shipping and handling method, costs, and other information

Taxes and any applicable government imposed fees (such as electronic waste disposal fees)

Tell buyers about the terms of the transaction in your listing.

You're required to meet the expectations you've set in your listing.

Now,just why would they ask you to include the details of YOUR return policy if you couldn't?

Edit: another page that makes it even more clear-

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/return-policy.html

Also-

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-returns.html
                  Last edited by wierdscience; 10-24-2010, 06:08 PM.

Comment

I bought a $700 ham radio from a guy and he said it was fine with no problems. A friend was visiting so I asked him to run my home movie camera for me. I turned on my older radio connected to my ham antenna and I demonstrated 100 watts of power out. I then opened his shipping box, took out the radio and hooked it up to my antenna and it only showed half power? All of this was done on one continous run of video from my camera. I told him I wanted my money back and he objected. I then filed a paypal complaint and told them of the video I had. They didn't even ask to see the video but only wanted to know that I had it. I offered to send them a copy but they didn't want it. I got my money back. Nowadays if I do any ebay business it's all U.S. Postal Money Orders and US Post Office shipping. Screw with them and it's postal fraud and they do in fact investigate.
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Help might be on the way,I like the idea of a buyer reporting hub.

http://announcements.ebay.com/2010/0...-help-sellers/

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                        You said that the last time and your still wrong.
                        What to do if you don't receive an item or it doesn't match the seller's description

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/item-not-received.html
                        More about refunds

If you're given a refund, you'll usually receive it through the same payment method that you used to pay for the item. If you bought an item with a payment method other than PayPal, we'll ask you to confirm receipt of the refund.

A full refund is one that covers the cost of the item and original shipping. If you've received an item and want a full refund, you'll usually need to send the item back to the seller. Buyers are responsible for paying return shipping unless the buyer and seller have reached a different agreement. In unusual circumstances, eBay may pay return shipping.

It's not theoretical, I've had to resort to filing an Item Not Received claim several times, and Ebay instantly pulls the full amount, including shipping, out of the seller's Paypal account. That's why sellers are required to have a bank account associated with their Paypal account.
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Thanks guys for the information and kind words. Over the years I have sold over 100 items on EBay and never had a single problem. My return policy has always been, all sales are final, ask questions before you bid.

I have had a couple sellers that were cheats but never a buyer. I guess that I was lucky. My lesson learned will be to double the amount of the insurance and collect from the shipper on the cheats that are out there.

So if you come across mightypoo0 Beware

Randy
                          Last edited by randyjaco; 10-24-2010, 07:09 PM.
                          Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

Originally posted by randyjaco
                            My return policy has always been, all sales are final, ask questions before you bid.
                            Unfortunately, that's against Ebay's selling policies.

Ebay, as a proxy retailer, is bound by the Uniform Commercial Code. As many sellers here have found, it's a simple matter for the buyer to file an Item Not Received claim and get their entire purchase amount, including shipping, refunded. The Uniform Commerical Code extends to any online retailer -- you can do a credit card chargeback on an Amazon, or Enco, or Borders transaction if the item they shipped is not what was described, or lost or damaged in transit.
                            http://answercenter.ebay.com/thread....2761&tstart=30

ALL SALES FINAL
                            Posted: Apr-10-10 18:29 PDT
                            gambit622 (77 ) View Listings | Posts: 4 | Report

I just recently sold a used motorola modem. In auction it states No returns. Customer recieved modem and now wants a refund. He says it doesnt work in his sysytem. Also that im at fault because the modem came from comcast. But he clearly had time to ask me any questions before buying. If i see an item that says no returns, I would ask questions. So am i at fault because he failed to ask questions?

ALL SALES FINAL
                            Posted: Apr-10-10 18:32 PDT
                            mrsmtn (818 ) View Listings | Posts: 3,421 | Report

Sorry, but Ebay policy takes precedence over your no return policy every time. If the buyer files a SNAD [an Item Not Received Claim] they will be told to return the item for a refund. No refunds is only good for obvious cases of buyer's remorse and very few buyers will be that honest when filing a dispute.
                            Might as well refund now, as soon as the modem is returned.
                            Last edited by lazlo; 10-24-2010, 06:47 PM.

Comment

If you accept PayPal, you MUST accept returns, period.

http://reviews.ebay.com/If-you-accep...00000006999881

Something critically important that all sellers should know, but most do not: If a buyer pays with PayPal, you MUST accept the item back in return, no questions asked. It does not matter how many times you state in your auction that you do not accept returns, or all sales final, or items as-is or whatever. If the buyers uses PayPal and decides they want to return the item, you have no choice in the matter. They will file a claim and PayPal will instruct them to return the item, getting tracking as proof. As soon as PayPal sees (via the tracking number) that you have received the item, they remove the payment amount from your account. They do not ask you if the item was returned in its original condition, or even if the same item was returned at all. You have no recourse.

This just happened to a very good friend of mine. She sold a tiny Barbie spoon and the buyer wrote to say that the item had rust. My friend had lots of pictures of the spoon on the auction and there clearly was no rust or corrosion of any kind. But the buyer got to return the item, no questions asked, and got a full refund. My friend is now stuck with a damaged item and there is nothing she can do about it except file a police report. PayPal will ALWAYS find in favor of the buyer in these cases. And here is the worst part: Because my friend did not have a balance in her PayPal account, PayPal WENT INTO HER PERSONAL CHECKING ACCOUNT AT HER BANK AND TOOK BACK THE MONEY!!! This is slightly terrifying to me. When I called PayPal to ask how in the world I could protect myself, as a seller, from this happening to me, I was told that I could appeal and file a police report.

So sellers beware. You can state NO RETURNS, ALL SALES FINAL, ALL SALES AS-IS, or whatever you want to say in your ebay listing. None of it matters if the buyer uses PayPal. If they file a claim, they will win. Period. End of story.

Comment

Working...
                              X