Microphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microphone

I would like to have a small microphone that could be attached to a super precision lathe at the tool post with a magnet. The ideal device would have earphones, a volume control and battery or 110 volt power and not cost a fortune. If anyone knows where I might find something like this, please let me know.

Cass, computer mic. $5.00 any computer shop, cheap headphones(couple bucks) and an old cassette recorder in record mode will work with headphones plugged in. Cut the mic down + epoxy to magnet. Done.

Bernie

Comment

Cass,

I'm not sure what you mean to do. I often machine with my eyes closed and machine by sound alone. It is amazing how much you can tell from the sound.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

If I understand you correctly, you could use a microphone made for hooking a telephone to a little amp. The mic attaches directly to the handset with a suction cup. Radio Shack sells, (or sold) them complete with a mic and battery powered amp, for a few dollars to use as a speakerphone. Actually, I think I have a brand new one rattling around I would be happy to donate. Haven't looked to see if there is an earphone jack, but that would be an easy addition. Let me know.

Comment

Evan, when I was cutting that internal Whitworth thread in a blind hole last week, I did a LOT of listening, believe me!

Comment

Evan: You gotta stop bragging so much!.

YOU say "I'm not sure what you mean to do. I often machine with my eyes closed and machine by sound alone. It is amazing how much you can tell from the sound."

Your pictures of some of your stuff have been impressive enough. Now you tell me (and the rest of the group) that you do better work with your eyes closed than I do with them open.

I would rant more, but a little voice keeps saying that it ain't bragging if he really does it

Sound is important in machining, electric welding, and the sound of a Oxy/Act torch. Man needs to learn to listen to all the tools speaking. Wife ain't no tool

Comment

A lot of people don't know this but a small speaker makes an excellent microphone if you have an old set of small speakers say a broken headset take one and wire it up to be used as a microphone it will work great good luck Alistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
              X