OT - Name This Military Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Name This Military Base

Today I had to talk to some folks in the military concerning some photos and information that is important to my family. I am putting together the last 50 years of my family.

Where is the Chapel of the Centurion ?

Jerry

Fort Monroe, Virginia.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan, did you Google that? Even thou the bulk of the papers say Fort Monroe, the historical name is Fortress Monroe.

Jerry

Comment

Yes I did Google it. They call themselves Fort Monroe. All major Army camps are called "Forts". I've been stationed at Fort Lewis, Fort Eustis, Fort Huachuca and Fort Baker.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Army installations are usually called forts. But there are also
          camps - Camp Picket, VA comes to mind. Monroe seems an exception to both as it is often referred to as Fortress Monroe but I am not certain that is still its proper name.
          Craig

Comment

Camp denotes a temporary installation.
            Fort is a permanent one.
            In 1963, I was lodged in barracks at Ft. Gordon, Ga. that were "temporary" for WWII.
            I was also a tennant at Ft. Eustis, far, far better than Gordon.

Comment

Jerry,

I live about 15 miles from Fort Monroe. All of the locals, and the enlisted people that I have run into, call it Fort Monroe.

Mike
              Finding creative ways to turn material into scrap for decades.

Current Machines:
              South Bend 13” Lathe (being rebuilt)
              Bridgeport Mill (step pully J)
              Garvin 2A horizontal mill
              Ohio 20” shaper
              Harbor Freight 4x6 band saw

Comment

I spent too much time listening to parade ground speeches while stationed in the area. "Fortress" Monroe was a favorite way for many generals to refer to the intallation. I thought they might have known what they were talking of. Of course it was called Fort Monroe in more normal converstions.
                Craig

Comment

I think the 'Fortress' thing is a Civil War leftover. My brother was born at Fort Monroe, and that's what I always heard it called.

In the case of Ft. Monroe, though, the term Fortress might be used to distinguish the fortifications themselves from the rest of the base for tourist reasons...

Comment

I entered service (AF) in 1966, and had dealings with all major mil installations. It was always called 'Fort' Monroe at that time.
                    Never heard it referenced as 'Fortress'.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 12-10-2003).]
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I was there as a child, I was baptized in the Chapel of the Centurions. My father was instrumental in getting the stained glass window for the cenntinial of the chapel.

Fort Monroe, is both a historical landmark, as well as an active military base. The historical people still call it fortress. During the American Bicenntinial, you could get a bottle of "issue" scotch whickey at Ft. Monroe. GI label, but modern price.

Camps for temporay bases, I spend a time at Camp Drum and a couple of other camps that were only temporary, who are now forts.

I know live near Fort Hayes, which belongs to the local school board, it a vocational and arts school and a bus barn. But it is still called Fort Hayes.

Jerry

Comment

O.K. without Google, with out a trip to the area, who was impreisoned at Monroe and what is the name of the Chapel window for the centennial?

Jerry

Comment

Was it Dr. Mudd, The doctor that treated John Wilks Boothe's broken leg after he broke it jumping onto the stage at Ford's Theater after Lincoln's assination?

Comment

No it wasn't Dr. Mudd. Not even close. Much higher up in the food chain of life.

Jerry

Comment

Jefferson Davis was imprisoned at Ft. Monroe,

The stained glas windowed installed in the chapel was :
                              Power for Peace.

Comment

Working...
                              X