Emcomat7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emcomat7

Does anyone know where I can find a used Emcomat7 for sale?
    Gus
    [email protected]

Gus:
    I have one but it is not for sale. They are very hard to come by - I had to wait for someone to die to get mine (no, really). You might have better luck finding a Maximat 11 - these have quick changed gear boxes and are bigger machines and hence more useful.

Comment

The book I have on building my Pennsy a3 locomotive, shows him using his emcomat 7.
      He describes, "Ok, feed the bit in .02, we take a light cut here, blah blah blah..
      And IM left wondering, is this guy crazy? Light cut? On the same machining step, mine chatters with a .01 cut. Either he is using leaded steel, or his emco is just that much better than my chinese lathe.

Comment

Chattering with a .010 cut? What size is your lathe? Have you looked at all of the usual suspects like tight gibs, etc?

Comment

This isn't completely applicable, but I just now tried a cut using my milling attachment on my SB9. I cut a profile cut .5" by .25" in mild steel and had no problem. Cutting .010 should be a piece of cake. Something is wrong with the setup or adjustments. As said by Joel, check the gibs. Tighten them for the cut but don't leave them that tight when you have to move the cross slide or compound except for the cut. It will greatly increase the wear. I get lazy a lot of the time and force the carriage/cross slide/compound against the tight jibs and this little voice tells me "you really want to learn how to scrape the ways?" Tighten when needed and loosen after.

With a roughing cut I can take around .05 as long as the drive belt is tight. Belt slip becomes the problem, not chatter. How far is the work protruding from the chuck?
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Not exactly what you are looking for but have a look.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...category=42282
            To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Hi Gus,

I have to say that Thrud is probably right on this one.

I have been personally involved in three sales of hobby sized Emcos. The first one (Maximat V7) was sold because the owner who had it went to a nursing home. The second one (Maximat V10P) was sold because of the death of the owner (who had received it earlier from his dying friend). The third sale (another Maximat V7) I was involved in was once again because the owner was forced into a nursing home.

It was interesting to note that all the owners of these machines were accomplished mechanical engineers (with machine shop experience) who knew exactly what to look for when buying a machine tool and the lathes/mills were self-purchased as retirement gifts for themselves. When I spoke with their families, all of them mentioned that the buyers had brought the BEST available when the purchase was made.

Some would disagree but I consider that an Emco lathe/mill in good shape warrants a higher price than what they do sell for currently...which is usually a great big pile of money. I also note that the Chinese will tend to attempt to copy a well thought of product so they can coast on its reputation. Being that they chose the Emco lathe as the design to mimic for their poorly executed 9x20 knockoff says alot.

What you do have going for you is that the Emco machines can turn up anywhere since they are portable and sold all over the country. Unlike chasing iron in the industrial areas in the USA, the Emco that you are searching for could easily be in the house next door as in the next state. The problem is finding that needle in the haystack. Have you done any SERIOUS searching in your own neck of the woods? I would suggest running some WANTED adds and letting the various metalworking clubs in your area know that you want $seriously$ one. I would not place much faith in finding one on an auction. This caliber of machine usually never makes the auction setting since a well connected acquaintance will scoop it up first.

As for finding one Gus, I can only recommend that you do as I did...which is look, look, look and let EVERYONE know that you are looking for one. You will eventually come across one and I will then say, pay whatever the seller wants. If you do not, someone else definitely will (like me ;< ) ).

Good luck with the Hunt!

TMT

Comment

I've been told how to fix it, I still havent gotten around to doing it.

It is a chinese 7x14 lathe. It only chatters on a .010 cut when I am facing, like my train wheels, facing a 3.25" disk.

I've decided to fix the problem, I am preparing to buy a used 9" South Bend.

I never got it to chatter when turning. I must admit, I am over extending this lathe for the job I am doing with it.
                I'm not going to put any more money into this lathe to make it more rigid.

Comment

Bill

I take heavy cuts in stainless with carbide inserts on my Maximat 7 all the time - the chips come off white hot and turn blue on the ground...eventually. Hell, I can peel Titainium off like butter as well (the lower grade alloys anyway). I use a 3-1/2" and 6-1/4" chuck most of the time.

The machine is not a toy, It has huge spindle bearings and is built like a tank. The bed is cross braced and extremely stiff. It has one failing - no quick change gear box. But even that can be argued by the purest as interfering with good precision.

Comment

Gus: I have one too and it may be for sale early next year (see my Super 11 horror story post). The Maximat 7 blows away other small machines such as the Prazi and others. The sales price of a used machine will probably start to reflect this. The downside of the Maximat 7 is that support and parts are almost gone but as Thrud says, the thing is built like a tank and you can make just about anything that breaks.

If you find one with Emco specifics like the steady and follower rests, grab it. Be sure to run it and check out all gears (a good idea on any gearhead).

Thrud: I think one would have to be crazy to sell a good condition Maximat 7 for less than several $k for the lathe alone. You just can't replace it (ok, Schaublin, Levin, Big $$). Wadda you think ?

Den

Comment

can a southbend do the same thing?

Comment

Thrud: What kind of horsepower motor are you running on that thing ? I seem to recall you running 6,000 rpm on some stuff (must have been the stainless ).
                        Den

Comment

A South Bend can do any thing you want.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Comment

Uhmmm...sounds like this could get interesting. Gentlemen...start your lathes...let the South Bend vs. Emco competition begin! ;< )

For my contribution, I will say that I have had several South Bend and Emco lathes of similar sizes. Both brands were tested under challenging conditions similar to those that Thrud is discussing.

Wanna guess which brand of lathe was finally sold because it was found to be lacking compared to the other? Hint: It was made in South Bend, IN.

Let the chips fly where they will! ;< )

Comment

Working...
                              X