Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if you don't have an abrasive chop saw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if you don't have an abrasive chop saw?

How would you cut anything from hardened bolts to drill bits?
    Last edited by beanbag; 11-07-2010, 07:51 PM.

Whats the question? I use a harbor freight 4x6 chopsaw for tons of things. For hardened items I pull out my die grinder or angle grinder with abrasive wheels and then clean them up with a belt sander.

Comment

Make one then. Converting a circular saw is about the easiest way, although most that would be likely donors are probably already worn out. I can buy a new saw here for $50. I don't know how good it is, but probably the only thing it needs is to have the brushes seated properly before it's loaded down a lot. Mount it under a table and work out some adjustment mechanicals- not much to it, just materials and fabrication.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Buy a cheap mitre saw and put a small abrasive blade on it.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Additional constraint:

My machining is done in a communal shop, so I can't go around buying new large pieces of equipment, or modifying their equipment by adding new blades.

Comment

TechShop has a plasma cutter....

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
              Buy a cheap mitre saw and put a small abrasive blade on it.
              That's my vote as well. If you have an angle grinder, then a cut off wheel mounted as mentioned above works very nicely. I have a 14" chop saw, a compound miter saw with a 10" abrasive disc, a 7.25" circular saw with abrasive disc, a 4.5" electric grinder with cut-off disc and a small 3" air cut off disc. Each one has it's benefits over the others depending on what type of job you're doing. If you have plenty of air from a large compressor, harbor freight sells the 3" cut-off tools dirt cheap (many times less then $10). I think I caught the last one I bought on sale for $2.99 or something crazy like that. For the type of stuff you're talking about, that's the cheapest route, and tends to work well. The catch is you need a decent sized compressor to run the tool, or you'll be waiting for the air to catch up way too often.

Comment

A Dremel or similar high speed hand grinder with a small cutoff wheel works well for cutting off small drills and hardened pins. It is also handy for general grinding of hardened parts. It takes a little practice to keep the tool cutting straight and to keep from overloading it. You will break some discs and fine grit blows all over so be sure to have adequate eye and lung protection.

Most hardened parts only need a groove cut in them and then they will break pretty easily.
                Don Young

Comment

Lots of good low cost alternatives to an abrasive chop saw above.

Also for the small sized stock that you mentioned there is always the old arm-strong hacksaw with carbide grit coated blades.
                  These are ideal for steel braided line or ceramic tile as well as hardened steel.
                  Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Sounds like it would benefit everybody in your comunityshop if everyone would pitch in a few bucks and buy a chop saw.Otherwise just go to horror freight and get a cheap 4.5 anglegrinder and some cutoff blades.Light weight and portable if you need to lock it up or just take it home at the end of the day.

Comment

At the portland TS I wouldnt let anyone run one of those things in the building. Noise, Abrasive dust, smell, and fire hazard. If they want to use one they had to take it outside on the loading dock.

Comment

4 1/2 or 5" hand grinder with "ZIP" wheel will cut through just about anything really fast

IE: I cut off a section of 12" sch 40 pipe in a couple of minutes, I haven't used an A/O torch since, a bolt or drill rod or even a 2" round bar would be a snap. It's also a cheap solution.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

$5 circular saw from yard sale, with abrasive blade. No tears when it finally dies. I've had them last years.
                          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

I believe ENCO has a deal in their recent flyer where two Dewalt 4 1/2" grinder can be had for $99. Not a bad deal...keep one with a cut off wheel and the other with a flap disk/ grinding wheel.
                            I bury my work

Comment

14" abrasive discs when worn below 10" diameter goes well in a 10" power saw.

Wear a glove on your front hand, the blade shield gets f'in hot f'in quick with all those sparks whizzing around inside it.

Comment

Working...
                              X