Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on runout

Hi all
    I purchased an old Seneca Falls Lathe and there is runout of about .009 on the chuck. I pulled the caps on the bronze bushings and on the chuck end it had 2 .006 shims when I removed them I ended up with .001 runout.if I tighten it too tight it locks up. I am giong to put some thinner shim stock in. Boy this thing really wobbles even with the cap just snugged down. Do you think this thing will smooth out once I am shimmed. I am trying to learn something with this . Thanks Steve

Steve, how and where are you measuring the error? Are you measuring on a pin chucked in the jaws or on the chuck body? Give us a little more info to go on.

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan
      I am running a dial on the outside of the chuck. Should I run it on a piece of drill rod in the chuck. I am new at this and trying. Thanks Steve

Comment

Steve, your first test should be with a nice round pin in your best chuck. A piece of drill rod should be adequate. Let us know what you come up with.

Edit: Make sure that the register on the lathe and chuck are squeaky clean.

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 12-11-2003).]

Comment

We need to narrow our search for the source of the runout. I'm guessing that nearly all of your runout is caused by the chuck. How does the chuck attach to the lathe? Is there a backing plate that the chuck attaches to? I would start by removing the chuck and check to see how much runout the spindle has. After checking that then put the chuck back on and do as Joel says. If the problem is indeed with the chuck then it may need to be reworked. Be careful when putting shims back in the bearing caps, get it too tight and the spindle will run hot and seize. Too loose and chatter and inaccurate work results.

Dan

Comment

First, are you talking about spindle runout or play or shake in the spindle bearings?
            To determine play or slop in the bearing, an indicator on the chuck as you try to move the spindle back & forth or up & down without turning it will tell you how much play is in the bearings.
            If you are looking for spindle run out, remove the chuck altogether. Find a clean straight area on the OD or ID of the spindle and indicate that. You may have to lightly stone the area with a lathe of that age to remove warts, but it is the spindle you need to indicate.
            Indicating the chuck or something held in the chuck adds the runout of the chuck into the equation.
            Jim H.

Comment

Working...
            X