Dro ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dro ?

Guys, i'm cleaning up a Bridgeport mill and getting it ready for service. Most of it's use will be for building model engines. I'm planning to add a DRO, and was
    interested if anyone had any comments of a DRO PROS vs the Analam 411. I plan to get the 2 axis version. Pros, cons...

neonman

Look round for the original graduated steel scales and light boxes that were fitted,(Pre Heidenstien) ---- NEVER skipped a beat.

Regards Ian.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Circlip
      Look round for the original graduated steel scales and light boxes that were fitted,(Pre Heidenstien) ---- NEVER skipped a beat.

Regards Ian.
      While you are at it look for the treadle conversions and carbide lights................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
        While you are at it look for the treadle conversions and carbide lights................

Hmm, I'll be more inclined to sympathize with your disdain for BP's when you get rid of yours....

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
          Originally posted by gnm109
          Hmm, I'll be more inclined to sympathize with your disdain for BP's when you get rid of yours....
          Probably more a comment on older DRO technology. I had a friend who said he really loved old machines -- so long as he didn't have to make his living on them. I'll second that. I don't have a DRO and when I'm making a new dividing head hole plate circle with the dials on my machine, the plus and minus X and Y with backlash elimination is a nice machinist's challenge. If I had to make rate on that I'd have a different opinion.
          "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by neonman
            Guys, i'm cleaning up a Bridgeport mill and getting it ready for service. Most of it's use will be for building model engines. I'm planning to add a DRO, and was
            interested if anyone had any comments of a DRO PROS vs the Analam 411. I plan to get the 2 axis version. Pros, cons...

neonman
            Anilam makes a good box.

There is also the Newall M20 which is good if you only need 2 axis

Cant reset, do abs/inc modes, hole patterns, inch/mm conv, with mechanical scales.

Comment

I have the Newall M20 and like it. Be sure to get the newer version without the internal battery.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Analam
                Experienced and reliability
                Made in USA last I looked

Comment

Dro

I've had very good success with Accu-Rite and Mitutoyo over the years. Right now I'm running a 2 tenths Accu-Rite Master MP that is about 15 years old and looks and works like brand new. You don't really need a 3 axis because gravity keeps all backlash out of the Z axis knee screw. That makes the dial plenty good enough.

Comment

If you can get one with a bolt circle function, you'll find it very handy, for lots more than bolt circles.

Comment

One of the recommendations I got was for the Newall solution due to their linear encoder. Their warranty has a no fault clause if you can break it they cover it for three years if I recall.

Comment

The 411 is real nice and very reasonable priced.
                        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the Anilam since Enco has a 15% deal
                          until the end of the month.

neonman

Comment

Working...
                          X