Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11" Sheldon questions

Hi Folks
    I have been reading this Mag and looking at this sight for about a year when i get time, and am awed at the amount of knowlege that flies around here.I wish had time to read it all and at least retain half of it.But anyway I got a Sheldon SEWQM model lathe last year and it has the 2 1/4"x 8 Threaded spindle,but i am trying to find out for sure what the internal taper is, My guess is a #5 MT but i cant tell for sure. Dont want to buy any sleaves till i know for sure.
    PS. Couldnt get a reply from the boys over at the Sheldonlathe group. any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    AJ
    AJ

The original spindle bore is MT #5. Unless someone has gotten creative, that is what you should have.
    Jim H.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.My next question is what is the best oil to run in the headstock brgs.The sheldon book just say a good grade of spindle oil, I have been using Vectra 2 way oil but i think it is too heavy for brgs, I noticed there has been alot of discussion on the topic of oils in the past.
      AJ
      AJ

Comment

AJ
        Use either a tractor/hydraulic oil, an anti-wear Hydraulic, or preferably an R&O Gear & Bearing Lubricant of the specified viscosity. (ISO-68 or 20W) is common, (ISO-100 or 30W) is used in some

Comment

I have a question on the subject of way oil. I took a introduction to machining class from the local junior college and we got to start and run a variety of lathes from a little one to one that had a chuck large enough to turn an engine block.
          This question didn’t come up in class because I didn’t know enough to ask it �cause I didn’t own a lathe until later.
          I have read your recommendation to purchase and use way oil, but how much should be on the ways.
          Should it be applied like a tidal wave covering everything is sight or like a drop of water in the desert..?? I don’t remember that the ways on these lathes were wet with oil.
          I don’t always have time to use my lathe so it sets covered until there is a break in my schedule and in this part of Washington State the wind blows and dust is everywhere, so it has to set dry until I need it otherwise it ends up covered with a fine grinding compound composed of dust and oil. I have used automatic transmission fluid to clean the exposed surfaces, but I’ve heard that this oil film is too thin.
          Any help would be appreciated.
          Thanks in advance.
          Jack

Comment

Working...
          X