Dressing diamond wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressing diamond wheel

Have put a diamond wheel on my tool and cutter grinder but I need to true it up... It is very close to true but not quite...

How do you dress a diamond wheel?

Also are CBN wheels suitable for High Speed Steel TC grinder work?
    Precision takes time.

Are you talking about truing up the center hole or the face of the diamond wheel?

I'm pretty sure the surface with diamonds is not something you can mess with. There are ways to "freshen them up" or run them in reverse (since after a while the diamonds get a "set" to them) but I doubt that trying to true them will work. You would end up destroying whatever tool you use, even if it is diamond, and messing with the bonding agent whether its metal plating or some kind of polymer.

If you could true up the hole with a bushing or something, this might work.
    VitŮŽria, Brazil

Comment

Gotcha

I'd assume that the wheel is true unless or until proven otherwise.

I'd check that the flange/s of the grinding head are true first and if not take a skim cut and true them up (a cup or saucer wheel - aluminium-oxide or CBN will be fine) - on your grinder.

If the diamond wheel is not too bad, I'd leave it "as is" and just let the high spots wear off over time.

CBN will be fine for HSS - and it can work with TC as well if you are careful.

I use as coarse a wheel as I can in every case but keep them dressed. I finish off with a "spring" cut.

T&C grinding is not rocket science at all.

Once you have the principles and the "knack" of it, it is pretty simple really.

But a caution - don't let your concentration or your mind wander and don't hurry either as the T&C grinder will soon "getcha" - as will any grinder.

Comment

If it is an electroplate wheel you cannot dress it. If it is a resin bond wheel then dress it with an aluminum oxide dressing stick or a chunk of a broken aluminum oxide wheel. The dressing action takes place because the binder is removed by the dressing stick which also removes the grit. It is normally not required and if the diamond wheel you have needs it as new it is defective.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Diamond wheels can be dressed, but you have to be careful since there usually isn't more than .125 of diamond to work with. You don't want to dress you wheel away. The other thing is what happens when you remove the wheel and then put it back on ???
          It will again look like it needs to be trued. My advise is if your going to dress a diamond wheel keep it mounted to a tapered spindle adapter so it will always be true when remounted.

JL.................

Comment

Having spent a LOT of time grinding carbide with diamond wheels, I will share what I learned.

1. When you mount a diamond wheel, it should be mounted on the hub/arbor by indicating it with a dial indicator to make sure it is as true as you can get it to begin with.

2. As Evan said, they can be trued somewhat with a silicone carbide stick. Most of the wheels we bought new came with a white stick.

We also had a device for truing diamond wheels. It was a hydraulic dampened spindle with a gray wheel on it. Fairly small, about the size of your hand.
            We would put it on the chuck of a surface grinder at about a 10 degree angle from running true with the diamond wheel spindle.

We would bring the diamond wheel in contact with the gray wheel by .001 or .002 inches and the gray wheel would start spinning. Then we would run it back and forth while slowly feeding the diamond wheel into the gray wheel until the diamond wheel was true. A fairly slow, tedious process.

3. Once we mounted and trued a diamond wheel of any kind, it stayed mounted until it was worn out.
            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

How close is close?

My diamond wheel was out about .002" TIR and I have not had any problem with it as is.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Since a diamond wheel is rapidly eroded by grinding steel, I have on rare occasions deliberately ground steel with a diamond wheel to true it.

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
                  How close is close?

My diamond wheel was out about .002" TIR and I have not had any problem with it as is.
                  Carl,

The closer, the better. To have .002" runout will work OK, but dead true is a lot better.

About 1/2 of your wheel is doing all of the work.

That is why we would true them and then never take them off the hub until they were worn out, which takes a long time if you don't abuse them.

I have a couple of diamond wheels that have a 1/4 inch bond. I doubt that I will ever wear one of them out.

Brian

THINK HARDER

Comment

Diamond Wheel

Norton makes a dressing stick for CBN and Diamond wheels. One number is 38A220-HVBE
                    JRW

Comment

This is the kind of dampened dresser that I used to true diamond wheels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DIAMOND-WHEE...item483d2e113d

Incidentally, we had one rigged for dressing wheels on ID grinders too. Ground a lot of carbide ID's.

Brian

THINK HARDER

Comment

If this is one of those diamond wheels for a carbide grinder held in place with 4 countersunk screws, You can true it by just loosening/tightening the screws. At least, Thats how I did it on my crappy grinder untill I returned the POS.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Diamond wheel

Originally posted by .RC.
                          Have put a diamond wheel on my tool and cutter grinder but I need to true it up... It is very close to true but not quite...

How do you dress a diamond wheel?

Also are CBN wheels suitable for High Speed Steel TC grinder work?
                          Unless I am quite mistaken, the OP's Tool & Cutter grinder is this one - or the one of which it is a clone:

Here is the wheel mounted on its spindle wheel-hub - which is not balanced:

at:
                          https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=G198

By its nature, being a tool and cutter grinder, the wheels are not permanently mounted on the hubs. Spare hubs are available if required.

Comment

I did not think it had a hub.... If it does I will dismount it and take a look and make up a few on the lathe...

Been making a few ISO30 arbours lately with 0.0002" run out (well I am finish turning them on the mill they mount onto) so turning up some hubs should not be too hard..
                            Precision takes time.

Comment

RC, if you have the machine tiffie showed then I can see where you want it very true but to do that you would have to have a fixture held dresser. Dressing it with a hand held tool would not do a good job. A dresser mounted to the table would work fine and you could dress it much like is done on a surface grinder.
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                              X