Chinese hotel construction method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese hotel construction method

This video shows a 15-story hotel being completed in less than six days. No smoko for these workers. What's the rush?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0DS...layer_embedded
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Great Idea

I think the Chinese have come up with an excellent method of a pre-fab building. Many of the parts are "repeated" in each room so mass production techniques can be used for the forming of the structural members. All of the parts just need to be assembled on site. Sure a lot faster than the concrete/rebar construction technique.

On a recent visit to China, the joke was, "The National Bird of China should be the Building Crane." No matter what city you were in, there were building cranes on the horizon in all directions. The pre-fab method is an outstanding solution to the long build time of concete structures.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

I have a feeling the building pictured might be a pretty boring structure, especially if a city was filled with buildings built that way. Don't suppose they took the time for any grand foyer but rather lego style construction. Now doubt we could learn a few things from their engineering for speed.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

That style of construction will also have very high resistance to earthquake damage which is a big consideration in much of China. In case anybody is wondering about the odd looking colour scheme it is red because that is considered a lucky colour that portends good fortune and prosperity.

When I had my computer store open my phone number ended in 8-8888. Eight is also considered a very lucky number so I had very good customer service from the Chinese reps at my suppliers in Vancouver. They just loved to dial my number.

BTW, it points out details that need to be considered when doing business with the Chinese. If your phone number has a 4 in it you are out of luck, literally. The number four has almost the same pronounciation as the word "death" in Mandarin and is synonymous with death.
        Last edited by Evan; 11-19-2010, 09:13 AM.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The hotel was NOT built in the time described. That is a false description.

It was ASSEMBLED" in that time, much as an industrial product is assembled. There is a difference.

The time was in making the parts that were stacked up and connected to create the building.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Hah. It was installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
              I have a feeling the building pictured might be a pretty boring structure, especially if a city was filled with buildings built that way. Don't suppose they took the time for any grand foyer but rather lego style construction. Now doubt we could learn a few things from their engineering for speed.
              Looks like any old Holiday inn express, Super 8 etc etc or other us Box motel.

Steve Larner

Comment

Clearly a government *cough* promotional video -- everyone has brand-new clothes, all the tools are unused. They list it as "Protype [sic] #3 of Broad Sustainable Building"

Love the hot chick in the silk blouse and skirt "inventorying" tools at 0:36

Edit: by the way, at 1:28 into the video, they've completed the building frame at 46 hours, 38 minutes (the morning of the second day). But at that point, you can see through the structure, and there's no plumbing, electrical, or HVAC. It takes another 4 days to shell the building, and install everything else.
                Last edited by lazlo; 11-19-2010, 10:12 AM.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

well, I guess it's better than using bamboo. It looks very creative to me. I wonder if we here in Ky could get them to build our two new bridges over the Ohio river we have been trying to get started for about 20 years now. They say it will take 5 to 10 years to build the bridges but I bet the Chinese could build and assemble both our bridges in less than a year and way under budget.

Hell, I would even go for a bamboo bridge, it would at least be up and last as long as anything we build here now.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

It is really no different than any other steel prefab building.

It was assembled in six days, but what is not known is what is it built on. It certainly took longer than six days for the foundation work. If the foundation work is typical of some of the other chicom projects, I would question its earthquake resistance.
                    Jim H.

Comment

I watched a lot of high-rises go up when I worked in San Francisco.

It took more time to get the foundation ready than it took for the rest of the building.

As was pointed out, it's easy to build things quickly if you spend hundreds of thousands of man hours to prepare the modules that will be installed. It's like a the boast that GM can build a car on the assembly line in less than 24 hours.... not counting the time needed to actually make the engines, seats, frames, etc.

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

If the foundation work is typical of some of the other chicom projects, I would question its earthquake resistance.
                        You mean like US built bridges?

Comment

Whatever,
                          At least they are building something not talking about it or endless meetings where nothing gets done.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                            You mean like US built bridges?
                            No, I was addressing chicom construction methods;

http://www.chinareallysucks.com/Site...2_Entry_1.html
                            Jim H.

Comment

"Rome wasn't built in a day" which may be another way of saying some erections take longer than others.

Comment

Working...
                              X