OT: More computer woes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: More computer woes.

My ol' shop PC is doing something wierd. It's a PIII 800 Dell with W2000 Pro. All I did was remove the processor fan, oil the bearing and put it back together. The fan now runs great by the way.

When I boot it up, everything is normal until I click on any desktop icon. Then it just sits there with the hourglass thingie showing and there's no further progress. It won't respond to control>alt>del but it shuts down quickly with a single press of the power button. I went back in and checked all connections, re-seated the processor & ram but no difference. I unplugged all peripherals and tried again...no joy. Any ideas?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Did you put the fan back on the right direction? It should blow into the heat sink.

Also try reseating the ram and anything else that you can.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Yup, the fan can only fit one way and I reseated the ram.

I forgot to try Safe Mode but will do so when I get back home tonight. Anything I should look for if it works OK in Safe Mode?
      Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

You may have removed/damaged the operating system. I was using a vacuum cleaner hose, removing the dust and dog hair from my old system some years ago and when I turned the computer back on it dispalyed similar icons on the screen.

I had to do a complete re-installation to get back to where I was before the cleaning.Evidently a static charge from the vacuum hose wiped all the data away. You might luck out and do a "System Restore" back to where you were.

Comment

Removing the fan did not involve removing the heat sink did it? If it did, improper reinstallation could be a problem.

Have you tried holding down F8 on bootup and trying to get into safe mode? If you can get into safe mode, try running scandisk.

Comment

I'm going to try safe mode when I get home tonight. I didn't remove the heatsink to oil the motor bearing but thinking it may have shifted, I went back in and took it off, reseated the processor and the heatsink without positive results.
            Milton

Comment

Don't mess with software settings. You didn't change anything so don't expect changing things to help. You have a hardware issue unless you have neglected to mention something.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                Don't mess with software settings. You didn't change anything so don't expect changing things to help. You have a hardware issue unless you have neglected to mention something.
                The only other thing I didn't mention was the fact that the same syndrome happened about a week ago when I had it apart to measure the fan. I had plugged the external amp/speaker cable into the wrong jack on the soundcard on reassembly and when I corrected that error, everything went back to normal. I assumed that was the culprit.

It performed perfectly all weekend with heavy CAD use, picture editing & internet surfing. I didn't restart it again until after messing with the fan again last night. It may have been a coincidence last week and the problem is not related to the fan issue at all, just the restart. It's a stable system and doesn't get restarted very often. I'm going to R&R all removable cards and if that doesn't fix it, try to get into safe mode and run a couple virus programs to see if it's infected.
                Milton

Comment

Maybe youve plugged it into the wrong fan socket ..

all the best.markj

Comment

Did you pull the heat sink? You could be putting the processor into thermal shutdown. It can happen real fast on a P3. That sucker can get finger-burnin hot in 2 seconds. You need to clean the heat sink surfaces real good and use high quality heat sink compound.

Comment

If you're getting all the way to Windows loading and icons populating the desktop, it doesn't sound like a hardware issue, or strictly such, as it's conceivable something was corrupted when you re-did the fan. I'd agree with MFolks in reinstalling the operating system as a fix.

Did you install any software or updates recently? You may have done so and not remember as even a small software update can cause problems sometimes. BTW, updating Windows/service packs/or security fixes from the Microsoft website is like playing Russian roulette with your computer, better to use the manufacturers' updates tailored for one's specific computer model.

Good luck,

Gary
                      Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

Not a computer guru here- but the clue is in the one thing you did that was different- you shut it down and re-started it. Probably something was set to complete its own install on re-boot, and that's what was happening. If that thing is malicious in any way, it's probably fighting for life in your computer. It could be a simple thing like a search habit tracking program, or any of many fairly benign programs that you didn't want, and didn't ask for, and didn't know was installing itself. Seems like it is a resource hog anyway. Or it could be a virus or norton stealing from you.
                        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I reseated everything, pulled the heatsink, cleaned and installed heatsink compound, restarted and got the same results. I then restarted in the safe mode and was able to run Spybot successfully. It found the usual stuff and I removed them. I restarted into regular windows and it's back to the same syndrome again.

If programs will run in safe mode it sounds like the hardware's OK?? I've got safe mode loading as I type this and will try another spyware app. I think I have Super AntiSpyware loaded on it...I hope; it's fixed some other problems I've had. SHEESH!!
                          Milton

Comment

Did you try running scandisk yet? You know that archaic microsoft utility for disk checking hidden back in the accessories menu: the replacement for the old chkdsk.

Comment

Originally posted by Forestgnome
                              Did you pull the heat sink? You could be putting the processor into thermal shutdown.
                              Sounds like a strong possibility -- if the desktop locks-up after the same amount of time...
                              Milton: turn the machine off, and let it cool down for about an hour. When you reboot it, see if it takes slightly longer to lock-up.

On a processor that old, the heatsink compound is probably dried and rotted. Can't hurt to clean it off and replace with some fresh heat sink compound while you're in there.

Edit: sorry, we cross-posted.

If programs will run in safe mode it sounds like the hardware's OK??
                              Safe mode loads the minimal drivers necessary to boot, but if you can boot in safe mode, it sounds like a software problem.

If you look at the hardware tree, are there any yellow exclamations?
                              Last edited by lazlo; 11-23-2010, 11:12 PM.
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X