OT - Computer Virus Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Computer Virus Software

About ready to put a new computer into service. Any advice or reccomendations on virus protection software to use?

Thanks,

Bill

Traditionaly people like to see more posts on a member before they start asking OT questions.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

BM is just being a sour puss tonight,
      Guess I'm not one of those people, besides, that is not a rule and is not in the forum rules.

So, there are a bunch of good Anti-Virus programs out there, I purchased IOBit 360.

I would never recommend Norton though.

Comment

Bill check out this package, I have had good success with it:

http://www.avira.com/

Michael

Comment

AVG Free antivirus is pretty good, and you can upgrade it to a pay version with support.

Comment

Microsoft Security Essentials -free, and the least intrusive sytem I've ever used. I have been using AVS since they first came out...

I've now ditched Symantec and Kaspersky off all my systems - they became way too bloated and intrusive, and installed Security Essentials on half the neighborhood. No problems..

Comment

Gotta agree with lakeside - security essentials is a good bit of kit....

and i work for symantec

Comment

AVG free here ( assuming non business use)

Comment

Nod32 for me...
                  Precision takes time.

Comment

"Avast" & "CCleaner" Both Freebies.

Regards Ian.
                    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

I used AVG Free for a while but then switched to Avast! (also free) and decided I like it better. I found the AVG mail scanner setup to be somewhat of a pain. Avast! just works.
                      ----------
                      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I have a wide ranging collection of real computer virions. I can send you some to evaluate if you like.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Bill wellcome, ignore Black moon (there's allways one) , we are here to help if we can

AVG 2011 - fast, reliable, FREE for home use. $$$$ for business

john
                          Last edited by jugs; 11-25-2010, 09:38 AM.
                          John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

I used AVG free for years until last year when 3 viruses in 4 months blew right past it. Only way I knew I had a virus was the computer started acting odd. AVG's scanner didn't even find them, I found them by looking in the Registry.

Now use NOD32.

BTW - Microsoft's Malicious Virus Removal Tool is also very good.

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by SGW
                              I used AVG Free for a while but then switched to Avast! (also free) and decided I like it better. I found the AVG mail scanner setup to be somewhat of a pain. Avast! just works.
                              I also. AVG got so bloated and a friend that is a lot more computer-
                              literate than me was in the same boat, found Avast and told me about
                              it so I switched. BUT the last upgrade from Avast seems to have also
                              gotten more bloated, at least it has slowed down over the original.
                              I was given the CCleaner heads up a long time ago and run it about
                              onec a month. It does take some of my cookies out that I have to
                              re-login to a few BBs .
                              ...lew...

Comment

Working...
                              X