Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emco Maximat V10 Thread Chasing Dial

Hi All

I have an Emco Maximat V7, and am looking to upgrade to a V10, I may have found one but would not be able to inspect it in person. The V10 does not have a thread chasing dial, but my V7 does.

My question is: Is the thread chasing dial interchangable between the two models? I know they use a similar leadscrew, but don't know the mounting configuration of the V10.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chandler

Chasing dial gears etc.

If the lead-screws are similar the same gear and dial will work on the new machine. It may have a different housing or mounting or bracket which may need to be made but the gear is the hardest part to make.

Most or many "inch" lathes have a gear with a number of teeth which when rolled along the lead-screw will cause the saddle to move 4".

So a 1/8" (0.125") pitch lead-screw (8 tpi) will have 4"/0.125" = 32 tooth gear.

A 1/6" (0.1667") pitch lead-screw (6 tpi) will have 4"/0.1667" = 24 tooth gear.

So a 1/4" (0.250") pitch lead-screw (4 tpi) will have 4"/0.250" = 16 tooth gear.

Etc.

Comment

FWIW, I have a Compact 10, which I think is a good bit of difference from the V10 (actually from any of the other Emco's!). Anyway, it does have a thread dial, and a rather odd one too - at least to me. It has the 3 different positions/gears reading at 14, 14, and 16. The lead screw measures in at 20mm with 8tpi.

Maybe the pic and lead screw size will be of some help...

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pace
        FWIW, I have a Compact 10, which I think is a good bit of difference from the V10 (actually from any of the other Emco's!). Anyway, it does have a thread dial, and a rather odd one too - at least to me. It has the 3 different positions/gears reading at 14, 14, and 16. The lead screw measures in at 20mm with 8tpi.

Maybe the pic and lead screw size will be of some help...

That multi-geared thread dial with the 90 and 120 degree markings is the type used for cutting metric threads although I do not know specifically just how yours is used.
        Don Young

Comment

I think its metric

Don.

You seem to be correct as after reading your post I think it is maybe (for?) a metric lathe with a 6mm pitch lead-screw.

The "16" tooth gear is for any pitch that will divide into (16 x 6 =) 96
          The "15" tooth gear is for any pitch that will divide into (15 x 6 =) 90
          The "14" tooth gear is for any pitch that will divide into (14 x 6 =) 84mm

That should suit the pitches of all or most common-use metric threads.

The "127" gear will be required to cut "inch" threads. The half-nuts will need to be continually engaged an the saddle travel will have to be reversed by reversing the head-stock spindle motor.

Comment

I think it is maybe (for?) a metric lathe with a 6mm pitch lead-screw.
            Emco offered the Compact 10 in either mm or inch and since I got none of the sheet metal housing with it that would have had - possibly - told what my particular lathe was, but I think it is the inch version. I have found a pdf copy of the operating manual, which doesnt give a way to tell which it is, but has setting for both versions. Heres a rather dim copy of use of the thread dial, which gives both mm and inch settings.

Tiffie, a quick count of the screw shows its 8tpi....

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

It will be OK on the day

Thanks Bill.

It seems you have a hybrid lathe - "inch" (8tpi) lead-screw with a metric threading gear and dial.

I think you will find that the "inch" threading dial has a single 32-teeth gear, but if you leave the threading dial you have set on the "16" gear you will do OK with most common inch tpi threads.

Comment

The Compact 10 threading dial handles both Metric and Inch - in the USA it came stock with the 3 gear indicator and an 8tpi leadscrew.

Having owned both, I'm 90% sure the V7 and V10 use the same thead dial on the 8tpi imperial leadscrew. It has a single gear. Even if it didn't quite match up, all you have to do is fashion a bracket to hold it lightly against the leadscrew - anywhere.
                Last edited by lakeside53; 11-27-2010, 01:40 AM.

Comment

If you check the Emco part numbers for the indicator used on lathes manufactured in the same year it should give a clue. Ask on the Yahoo group.

Regards Ian.
                  You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                  X