25000 lbs later domestic bliss achieved, a tale of triumph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25000 lbs later domestic bliss achieved, a tale of triumph

One of the great parts about the hobby is there are very few 'jobs around the house' suited to a mill. We're not pestered to build crappy bookshelves like the woodworkers.

That all changed this week with a busted dryer. Terrible high frequency squeaks and squeals, something had to be done. Tear it down and the culprits a pooched idle pulley bearing. It rides on a steel shaft, not sure what material it is but its magnetic...steel would seem a bad choice and cast iron you'd think would have been more trouble than an oilite.

After 15 years at this and 25,000 lbs of iron in the garage, its time to do something useful!

I keep a stock of bronze and oilite just for such occasions. I buy them long and with a larger than typical OD so i can turn them to suit. I had one that would work, and also a nice little internal mandrel i made years ago

Onto the lathe, all set to turn.....

oh no! the lathe is pooched! DSG not working and the dryer, in pieces takes a temporary back seat. @#[email protected] $^%&^$#* #$%#^%. DSG more complicated than i thought. Needing to get the drying going, I head to the bearing store; I'll just buy the damn thing, press it in and be done with it.

Ya think anyone stocks 9/16 OD sintered bearings? More bad language and a wasted trip.
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Well so much for triumph and domestic bliss Nice try tho lol
    Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Back up, what is DSG?
      This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
      Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
      Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Get home, load the mandrel in the mill and have it. The bit in the pic quickly got swapped out - to broad an area of cut. That mandrel was only in contact with a fraction of the work and the increased force of a wide chip caused deflection. A more pointed tool and i got the part to a thou end to end. Maybe a bit of deflection? may the quill is less than perfect? More than good enough for this job. A good reminder that bore head work isn't going to perfect either.

cleaned it up, burr wise, and pressed the new bearing in. polished up the shaft a bit and the dryer is together and working.

Now I know this is absolutely child's play for 99% of you here.......but for 99% of the other folks I know this is magic and why to them the nickname Mcgyver works. The whole scenario just struck me as slightly amusing, .
        Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-27-2010, 12:57 PM.

Comment

DSG is my big lathe, Dean Smith & Grace....currently it would seem in need of a new motor. which btw is a challenging and heavy duty task that will no doubt capture the crowd here, but will not even register on the domestic interest scale.....unlike that bushing that made me a hero (for a moment)

Comment

See my wife would be right out there with me helping.

I don't mean "supervising" I mean actually helping.
            This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
            Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
            Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

You earned your nickname.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Whoops...I must have posted while you were posting the second lot of pics. Nice recovery. I can't begin to count how many things I have fixed around the house by having a mill and lathe. It "almost" justifies the expense of having them LOL
                Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Where there's a Mill there's a way

Comment

Nice job Mike -- turning in the mill

Ya think anyone stocks 9/16 OD sintered bearings?
                    I have some. Oh, wait...

By the way, MSC stocks a really nice Oillite maintenance kit that has just about every size by 16th's. It's pretty reasonably priced (around $40), and the full 30% discount applies when they're running coupons.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Just FYI, the magnetic stuff is Super Oilite, just like the bronze version but mostly iron instead. Common in printers, motor bearings, etc.

Joe

Comment

Why is it that we proudly stick out our chests, stating "there!", when we just spent time-gas-excessive cash on a dryer that probably should be replaced? And do our "beloveds" actually believe our bullcrap about our brilliance? Or, are they letting us think we have the upper hand? I sometimes wonder if we all aren't potential actors/con-men!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Optics Curmudgeon
                          Just FYI, the magnetic stuff is Super Oilite, just like the bronze version but mostly iron instead. Common in printers, motor bearings, etc.
                          I thought Super Oilite was simply sintered iron? It's rated for lower speeds but higher loads.

Is there such a thing as magnetic Oilite? What's the purpose?
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by millwrong
                            Why is it that we proudly stick out our chests, stating "there!", when we just spent time-gas-excessive cash on a dryer that probably should be replaced?
                            Yah, looking at that pulley, my first thought was the rest of the machine is probably due for replacement

Comment

So what if it falls apart next week, fixing it now may get you a little special companionship that night.
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                              X