This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boucher
    I carry a Sig 45ACP and like it but, A Tarus Judge in 410 & 45 long colt is probably a better defensive weapon.
    A .410 shot shell sounds like a lot of power, but the Judge measures out at around 345 ft-lbs with 3 000 pellets. On the low-end of .45 ACP muzzle energy.

I prefer the bigger calibers: 10mm, .44 Mag. Delta Elite, Ruger Redhawk... Stock 10mm ammo easily hits 750 ft/lbs, but is also available in "dainty" .40 S&W loads.

Dan: I just bought a Witness Elite Match in 10mm. It's a CZ-75 derivative, and the platform is very versatile: you can drop-in barrels for .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .357 Sig, 38 Super etc, without changing the slide. The barrels are around $120 from EAA.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
      They like to eat things.
      Thats ok, it is good to find a couple cougars willing to play with each other.....

Oh wait......I think we may be talking about two different types of cougars.....My mistake

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
        That is utter nonsense. If they didn't happen you cannot count them.

Don't buy a weapon to defend yourself from people outside. You kill somebody outside and you will go to prison unless they shoot you first.
        2 Points,

#1 They do get counted if they don't happen,but are reported.

#2 If your in a state with Castle law they may just have to be inside your property line or just outside your car to be fair game.

My state you can defend your property with lethal force including your vehicle.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Adgo racing said:
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Evan
          Try the Dept of Justice.

Hahahahhahaha!.......Yeah, there is a reliable source....
          Who would you suggest as a source? Fasttrack doesn't believe FBI stats, you don't believe the DOJ, so who, then? Brady Campaign, Violence Policy Center, or who?

Comment

Originally posted by jdunmyer
            Adgo racing said:

Who would you suggest as a source? Fasttrack doesn't believe FBI stats, you don't believe the DOJ, so who, then? Brady Campaign, Violence Policy Center, or who?

So I'm assuming you haven't read what I replied. I believe FBI statistics, provided the conclusion has a reasonable P value. But the "myth" that was "debunked" didn't use statistics from the FBI. These are the statistics that were cited in a very hand-waiving manner:

http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/off...ime/index.html
            and
            http://www.archive.org/stream/critic...10mbp_djvu.txt

BTW ... the author of that bogus website tries to use "statistics" from an FBI report whose purpose was to

"identify those personality characteristics as assessed
            by the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) and the California
            Psychological Inventory (CPI) that correlate positively with successful police hostage
            negotiators."
            Last edited by Fasttrack; 11-29-2010, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
              I believe FBI statistics, provided the conclusion has a reasonable P value. But the "myth" that was "debunked" didn't use statistics from the FBI. These are the statistics that were cited in a very hand-waiving manner:

http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/off...ime/index.html
              Someone at FBI should be beaten with a rubber hose for that chart. The way they've drawn the Y-axis, it looks like there was some pivotal event in 2004 that violent crime dropped radically. But if you do the math, it's only a 5% deviation, and the "massive" increases in 2004 and 2005 are ~1.5% each. The total violent crime in 2005 is nearly identical to the beginning of the survey -- about a .4% deviation across the 5 year survey.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I seriously doubt it was intentional, but that's not a meaningful way to present statistical data.
              Last edited by lazlo; 11-29-2010, 09:40 PM.
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I found just what you need Pgmrdan

Comment

Originally posted by mochinist
                  I found just what you need Pgmrdan[/IMG]
                  Can't mention that here Mochinist -- it's illegal in Canada

Comment

By"cougar" I take it you mean the four legged kind, not the two leged kind that hang around upscale bars and hunt much younger men.

99.7% of the time if the bad guy just sees the weapon he/she/it will take off.
                    Back in the day when it was only a misdemeanor to have a loaded weapon in your car in Illinois, I had to show the weapon on two occaisons. Both times the bad guys decided I was more serious than they were.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                      Yeah, but a cattle prod ain't.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Why I carry a concealed weapon (GLOCK 26)

For those that have not been assaulted, whether to carry a gun can be viewed as an academic matter. When someone has used potentially lethal force against you, it is much easier to view the aggressor in the inhuman terms in which he views you.

A couple years ago, someone grabbed me and pulled a knife outside the grocery store demanding my wallet. My shirt was ripped in half when I jumped back as he grabbed me. (It may have been slashed or just ripped, I don't really know to this day but I can post a picture of it when I get back from travel if anyone is interested.) The dirtbag was on a mugging spree in Huntsville and injured a dozen or so citizens before being caught by the police. He was certainly willing to and did use force injuring many people over the course of several weeks.

When the police arrived after my encounter they expressed what appeared to be disappointment that I hadn't been armed and able to shoot the aggressor. IF you are unable to or unwilling to provide your own security, you are bound to be dominated by an aggressor who doesn't value your life. I don't choose to be in this situation again.

I was lucky enough that day to have had nerves of steel and been able to act rationally rather than emotionally. I was able to sense that the aggressor was confused by my breaking his hold when he grabbed me and further confused by me verbally resisting his demand for my wallet. I was able to escape him by turning and running while he was not expecting it and jumping over a planter and making it back to the customer service desk of the grocery store. This was lucky because he was in all likelihood faster than I was so I must credit my safety that day to my response being unexpected rather than deftly and hastily executed.

I would have to say that in my experience, a gun would be an asset to maintaining your safety unless you are unwilling to shoot the aggressor when you are forced to draw your weapon. This doctrine does require you to never draw the weapon unless your life or limb is being threatened.

If you are unable or unwilling to fire your weapon or not sufficiently practiced, that is when the weapon is a liability. If you are willing to train yourself to use the weapon proficiently and you are mentally prepared to value the life of your aggressor to the same extent that he values yours, being armed is definitely an improvement over having brought fists to a knife fight.

Having been threatened once before this assault during a burglary I interrupted at my house, I no longer view the criminals as having any more value than bacteria and if one threatens my life then I am prepared to disinfect the threat.

Regards,

Cameron

Comment

I haven't read the entire thread but will offer this.

In my opinion, I don't think your question can be answered by other people. You either feel comfortable with what you plan to do or your don't. May folks are leery of firearms because they don't trust themselves. I have every confidence in myself and have carried concealed for over 30 years. I have a Colt Officers 45, S&W 357 with round but and 3" tube, Walther TPH in 22 LR for extreme conceal and several 22's for plinking in the back yard. The one I carry the most is the S&W Model 60 in 357 w/3" tube and round butt. It's a 5 shot and if you can't get the job done with 5 shots at an average distance of 21 feet then 50 more rounds aren't likely to help you either.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Elmer Keith,a famous handgun expert,said the MINIMUM handgun for self defence should be a .357 magnum. Otherwise,you might just make someone mad enough to kill you before they bleed out(in 5 minutes).

This sheriff thought a cowboy was a wanted man,and EMPTIED his 9MM Luger into him. The cowboy said"are you finished shooting?" Then,he killed the sheriff with 1 .45 slug.

I keep a .45 S&W model 1917 revolver for self defense. Revolvers do have some advantages: They don't have to be manipulated if they mis fire. Just squeeze off another shot. They are not particular about their ammo. If you don't use the correct type ammo,like round ball as opposed to hollow point,in an automatic,often it will not cycle. I got a .380,which is a PUNY caliber. It would not cycle with Hydro Shock ammo,so I sold it. 380 is a .38 SHORT. You CAN now get hot loaded .380 now,but make sure the pistol is up to the task of handling it. There are,of course,double action autos,but a double action pistol doesn't have to be cocked. A revolver doesn't have to have the safety clicked off to shoot it. You can tell at a glance if it's loaded(except some .22's). I like hollow points in a self defense gun,and the revolver will always shoot anything you put in it,if it's the right caliber.

As for police accuracy,when I was younger,4 highway patrolmen lived on my street out in the country. We used to walk to the end of the street and shoot. I swear,I would have killed all of them in a gunfight. And,their personal weapons were SUCH crap!!!

If I had to carry a gun,like them,and stop all kinds of strangers,i'd sure as hell be a better shot than ANY of those guys. I don't think any of them knew the personal danger they were in,being so incompetent with their revolvers.

One of them pulled from under his cruiser's seat a 12 gauge double barreled shotgun with 12" barrels,and the stock cut into a pistol grip. Illegal as can be. He said it was his(N word)gun. I didn't want to get in trouble with that jerk,so I said nothing about it. If he ever used it,he would(hopefully) have been in a lot of trouble. Those guns WERE legal back in the 20's. I saw a pair of original Stevens car guns.
                            Last edited by gwilson; 11-29-2010, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Yep, my main concern is unknowingly walking in on someone inside my house.
                              Put a motion sensor inside the house where it isn't obvious. Wire it to an outside light. Set the turn off delay to maximum. Aim it so the dog won't set it off. Even simpler, put a magnetic switch on the bedroom door and leave it closed when you go out. Have that turn on the outside light. The bedroom is the first place a B&E punk will go to check the drawers. They will also leave the door open as they do and when they go into the rest of the house.
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                                I forget that this a multinational forum sometimes

Comment

Working...
                                X