Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I as well don't have a hand gun unless you call a Co2 BB hand gun a hand gun. I have all kinds of long guns from 10G double barrel side by sides to .22's. I have shot hand guns before and to me they seem to much like a toy. I notice lots of people that shoot handguns are fairly (loose) with them and don't treat them totally like a gun. I myself have thought about getting something small as well like a .22lr or similar just in case something someday would happen where it would be nice to have. Not so much for intruders or robbers but something unknown where a handgun is almost a must.

I have found out just two days ago that a aluminum base ball bat isn't as safe as one would think with kids. I keep my guns locked up in a safe and a fairly heavy aluminum baseball bat next to the bed. Well my 2 year old got ahold of my bat just the other day and smashed my toilet apart.
    Andy

Comment

I carry not only for my own safety, but for the safety of my family and even you nay-sayers who may be in the same restaurant I'm in when someone barges in with mass homicide in their heart.

The nay-sayers can load up their fingers tips with 911, that loud report they hear will be me attempting to save my own life because it's the shift change hour at Police HQ....

You only site the guns that cause problems. The guns that DON'T kill people don't get mentioned. In the eyes of some, the guns that save people are always the exceptions? And PeteF, if the thread does get locked up we will all know who blew out a multi post on topic thread in a sour direction. You throw the bait out there and expect no one to comment?
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

PeteF,
        There's one very good reason that many Americans carry a concealed weapon:

Because we can.

That's good enough for me.

Comment

If everyone carried a gun would anybody be robbed any more?

Would planes get highjacked, gas stations get robbed, etc?
          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
            I carry not only for my own safety, but for the safety of my family ......
            One of the statistics carried on the gun-phobe sites is that if a loaded gun is kept in the house then there is a 13x greater chance of a family member being shot than of an intruder being shot. If this is true then you would think that even the responsible pro-gun sites would make mention of that fact in their members (and members families) interest.

The problem in finding balanced arguments and relevent statistics arises from the extreme polarisations apparent on the issue. I mentioned this in an earlier thread and was referred to the department of Justice site - but that only deals with gun crimes. The gun-phobe sites concentrate on teen suicides and the risk to family members(as quoted above) while the gun-nut sites concentrate on crime issues and make no mention of family risk issues.

Still would like to find a balanced issue site with an understanding of statistics.
            "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
              If everyone carried a gun would anybody be robbed any more?

Would planes get highjacked, gas stations get robbed, etc?
              There would still be robberies, but none of the victims would survive the event. If everybody is armed, logic dictates that you need to kill someone to rob them.

The problem with arming everyone is that you arm all the idiots. The idea that the US would be safer place when one million (guesstimate) meth addicts are carrying guns is beyond me.

Igor

Comment

I also live in a rural area and to ask myself these very same questions. Every gun owner I know has their favorites, and reasoning to back their decisions. My comments are not to enter in debate but rather explain why I choose what I did.
                We have meth-high mushroom pickers out our way and my one (1) encounter with 2 of them was clearly a point where I got the hell away from them ASAP. What ever that stuff does to these guys is frightening. I think they would keep coming at you even with lethal injuries.
                We also have cougars. Sure they can jump on you from behind but WTF? My and my neighbors encounters have been in broad daylight to total darkness. These cats may not attack but they are also not afraid - zero fear. I think whether they attack or not is a tactical decision on their part. The one neighbor had one creep toward him in the dark while he had a flashlight trained on it. He raised his flashlight above his head and then the cat took off.
                I have a picture of one small cat walking/trotting down the road ahead of my truck. Walking - not running. Didn't seem fearful until I pulled up toward it.
                We have as many sightings at 2 pm as all other combined.

I have had enough confrontations with people usually young males doing something they shouldn't and often intoxicated, while being armed with a loaded shotgun. I can tell you from experience that having a visible weapon heightens the tension out of proportion to the desired outcome - getting them to as calmly as possible to leave the area.

I called a local sheriff I know and asked him - giving him the same dual reasons that you have. His advice 'made sense'. He recommended a revolver. Any situation you get into where you think you will need a handgun will be high stress. His comments are that a semi-auto will need the shell jacked in - more time involved, possibly vital delay, and will you even remember under stress? Jamming is another issue he mentioned again under stress.

He recommended a dbl action revolver. Basically it is point and shoot. No question, and possible delay, about whether it is ready to go. I'm a big guy with big hands. Small easy to conceal handguns had to small of grip. I ended up with a Ruger GP101 .357 mag. You cannot hide this thing up front on you. I bought a holster that keeps it in the small of my back. I like this for several reasons. If I confront someone; it isn't visible so doesn't escalate the situation. I keep my back away from them at all times approaching and leaving. I practice removing it with and without firing to get it as fast and controlled as possible.

I have never yet (knock on wood) been unable to talk to someone and one way or the other get them to leave or at least stop - dumping trash, target practicing, what ever.

As for ammo... It will take a .38 special. The most 'accurate round' (bullet and powder combination) for my revolver will fit that casing. As I load myself I bought XJP hollow point bullets. This is a seriously dangerous round.

You want a gun/round that you can control accurately. And like everyone else says practice. Shooting all over the place in a stressed out situation is not what you want.

They make speed reloaders for revolvers, which help if you need more rounds.

Be very careful how you practice. The seemingly non important issues like standing still and picking up shell casings will become the fall back habit you will default to in a stressed out non thinking just reacting situation.

One more thing the sheriff mentioned. A .357 is not a big game hunting round. I get his point. I have hunted a number of years - wild animals are incredible tough.

I would not buy a laser sight, it shows your location. I would however recommend the illuminated sights - don't know what they are called and haven't bought any yet. Great in low light situations where you can see your target but not your sights

Hope this helps
                Abner

Comment

Pete lives in Australia, a country that has extremely controlling laws on firearms and only 5% of adults own firearms. Knowing that can give you insight as to why he feels the way he does. Unless he can prove a real need for a firearm of any type he CAN'T own one and he can't carry one for protection unless he is police or a body guard.

Only a fool would try to draw against a gun pointed at you. We did that in demonstrations when I was in fast draw and the person drawing could out shoot the one with the drawn and cocked gun but if the guns had real bullets both would have been shot. It's a lose, lose situation.

At a demonstration we put on a Ky state patrolman told me you can't fast draw a Sam Brown holster. The next year at a demo he was at I proved him wrong and turned some very fast times on the clock, not as fast as our western rigs but fast none the less and with the strap snapped down on the holster as it would be carried on duty.

Whether you carry a gun or not you need to act like everyone is going to attack you. That's crazy you say, but it's not. Someone looking to rob you wants someone that is not aware of what's going on around them. If your constantly looking at everyone around you and where your going they will look for someone else to rob. The police will tell you the same thing, look around you, know if someone is following you or watching you, let your sixth sense kick in, don't become a victim. Let someone else be the victim is how I feel.
                  Last edited by Carld; 11-30-2010, 10:13 AM.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

I couldn't agree more trying to draw on a gun pointed at you is foolish. Another reason I like mine behind my back. I can talk move my hands around some and they will not overreact and shoot me.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteF
                      Dirk, it's always possible to find isolated incidents counter the trend to help push one's barrow; I'd hardly call gunowners.org impartial It reminds me of those who try to argue that seatbelts in cars are "dangerous" and quote the few cases where people not wearing them have been thrown clear in a major accident in an attempt to justify their argument.

I've spent quite a bit of time in the US but from an outsider's perspective I'm just saying I find the typical excuses to own/carry a firearm simply bizarre. Yet some get absolutely fanatical (on both sides of the argument) about the topic. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING I will say here is going to change anyone's opinion one iota, so I won't even attempt to try. But I'd leave those clinging to the tenuous excuse that they "need" a firearm for self-defence with this thought/scenario. You're walking along with your wife minding your own business. I walk up behind you and stick something in your back and tell you it's a gun. You believe me (it is). I demand your wallet, but lucky for you you're carrying your trusty concealed weapon. Do you seriously, SERIOUSLY mean to tell me that with a cocked gun in your back you're going to reach for your own weapon, swing around, and accurately discharge it? Indeed apparently numerous times by all accounts of some stories told here. Precisely how many times do you think I would have shot you by then? Up to that stage you'd lost your wallet and had a heck of a scare. Or does the scenario conclude that you hand over your wallet, and as I'm running off you then swing around and a gun fight breaks out like in a B grade western movie? I think you guys have been watching too much Hollywood, it's not real you know!

As I said, just 2 cents from an outsider looking on in bemusement. Carry on

Nonsense Mate.

If someone breaks into your house and shoots you and your family, you'll feel different if you survive.

In Sacramento, where I am, they have been working to stop home invasion robberies for many years. Gangs of robbers will target a house, break in and torture them until they give up their valuables.

I won't tell you what I think about your prognostications.

Comment

Plus, with it in the rear you can draw the gun rather than your wallet and with the right movement of body you may come out alive and him dead or wounded.

To defend yourself in an armed robbery you can't just draw and fire, every situation has to be analyzed and you have to read the body language. You have to look for opportunities to get away or shoot and it's better to get away.
                        Last edited by Carld; 11-30-2010, 10:31 AM.
                        It's only ink and paper

Comment

It's good that crackheads don't know who is armed and who is not.
                          Like a shell game.

I sure as hell would not put a sign on my front lawn announcing to the world that no weapons are on this property!

But yes guns are not for everyone, and I'm glad of that as a lot of citizens are dangerous enough in their cars.
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I use a Bersa 380 automatic around the farm.

With about 100 shots, it has never failed. Thats important.
                            I don't shoot for a hobby so I'll never get used to the noise and shock. With this gun it's not a problem. With a 357 or some other cannon I wouldn't be able to concentrate on shooting. I'd be thinking about the kick, blast etc. I'm confident that I can hit close to the middle of someone within 20 feet. I don't think I could do that with a big gun. On the second or more shots I'd be much more accurate with a smaller gun.

Main use is for coons and possums. I live trap them so I don't kill a dog or cat by accident then shoot the varmints. Humans are a lot bigger but are made out of the same muscles and guts. Seeing what a hollow point does to a coon make me think a person would change intentions quickly if hit in the gut with one.

Friend had people trying out a 38 with a 2" barrel at his farm recently. They quickly switched from a pop can to a 10" tree at 10' and only one of three shooters could hit it consistently.

Pawn broker that sold me a pump 12 gage said he had just read that if a person with a handgun encounters an intruder in his house he has a 50/50 chance of needing to fire it. With a shotgun it drops to 1 in 7. My first choice.

Comment

We KNEW a very liberal(non gun) family in Richmond. A pair of robbers broke into their house,tied up the mother,father,and 3 kids. Then,they cut their throats and set the house on fire. neighbors called the fire dept,but the whole family was dead.

i'm not letting ANY stranger invade this house without my gun in my hand. You don't know who they are,what they want,or anything about them. They get into my house,they get shot.

One night I was laying in bed with a nearby window up about a foot. There was a LATCHED screen on the window. Someone started messing with the screen. Lucky for them,they gave up and left. My handgun was right beside me.

When they took the guns away in Australia,I understand robberies increased a lot.

There is a town in Georgia,where a law was passed that every household HAD to have a gun. Robberies dropped right off in that town.If they had started CUTTING the screen,I would have been ready for them as soon as they got half way in the window. I lived in a lone house,no neighbors,but with a bad neighborhood some blocks back through the woods from me.

There have been several robberies in this area lately. We got a message from the sheriff's dept. about them. Jerks come to your door,and ask if "Mike",or some other made up name lives there. If no one answers,they break in. This happened to my old Journeyman,Jon. Girl in 20's came to his door. Boyfriend with tatoos all the way down his arms stayed at their compact car. Car was parked so jon couldn't read the license plates. She wants to know if her AUNT lives there. Jon's house is 2 miles up a dirt road through the woods,no other houses. He has 100 acres. He knew it was B.S.,but they drove off. He reported the incident and descriptions to the sheriff.

By the way,a .357 doesn't kick hard at all. My 1917 S&W .45 kicks much more because it has old fashioned SMALL grips that impact a small,more concentrated part of your palm. So,don't be wooses about a .357.
                              Last edited by gwilson; 11-30-2010, 11:00 AM.

Comment

The two scariest sounds an intruder can hear, The click clack of a pump shotgun, the knuckle cracking sound of a single action pistol being cocked.
                                Byron Boucher
                                Burnet, TX

Comment

Working...
                                X