Rong Fu Co

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rong Fu Co

I am looking to buy a milling machine,I have looked at several suppliers when I found out about this Rong Fu outfit. Checking the Internet I found the name of there sales agents who in turn told me to call the west coast for information. I did just that and talked to someone I could hardly understand.

I have been looking at the RF 31 and am interested in knowing total costs and how it would be shipped. Would they put it where I want it and lift it up on the stand in my garage?

Has anyone out there dealt with this company?
    I would appreciate any and all comments Thank You
    John

Someone got a great deal if this sold...
    http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/...l_details.html
    Who do I think you are...?

Comment

John,

Rong Fu is the manufacturer of the RF-31, and there are numerous distributors, both on-line and brick-and-morter machine tool dealers that carry their equipment.

Doing a quick check, I see that that piece of equipment is $1300 -$1500 from online dealers.

Here are 2 examples.

http://www.toolsplus1.com/rf31milldrill.htm

http://www.emachinetool.com/new/cata...&ProductID=929

I have a local machinery dealer that sells this brand, you may have one near you as well.

Shipping costs will vary depending upon your and the dealers location, whether they are delivering to a business location or residence, etc..

You may be able to talk a delivery driver into placing the crates in your garage, but they won't stick around while you uncrate it to help you place it on the stand.

You can probably find a local rigger/mover that can help you for a fee if you don't have a couple of strong friends to help you place it on the stand.

I have a couple of Rong Fu horizontal/vertical band saws, they both work well.

Mark

Comment

Mine came from Enco. Just look at the pictures in the catalog if you have any question. This is the RF-31---even if the manual linked to says differently.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=105-1298

Comment

John Romano: Where do you live? That really will help us direct you to a nearby retailer, that at the very least will have cheaper shiping.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Rong Fu is a Taiwanese company. The real Taiwanese Rong-Fu 31 (that legions of Chinese RF-31's were copied from) are sold by Enco, MSC, Travers, et al. They're substantially more expensive that the Chinese copies.

I've never seen a real Rong Fu 31 in person (I owned a Chinese Enco RF-31 for several years), but I'm told the Taiwanese versions are really nice.

http://www.rongfu.com/en/products/f02_RF-31.html

$2200 at Enco:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=566&PMCTLG=00
            Last edited by lazlo; 12-01-2010, 04:22 PM.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

My recommendation is to not get too caught up in this. I own a "made in Taiwan" genuine Rong Fu 31. I wouldn't say it is anything awe inspiring It is what it is and it does what it does good enough. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to knock the mill/drills. I would be at a loss without mine. Just don't go getting the impression that one is the bee's knees and the rest aren't. They all seem pretty equivalent to me. Just a few different details, handles, colors and the like. I will say that I am glad I bought the 31 model with power downfeed. Looking back, it was definitely worth the extra few bucks for that option. My opinion, of course.

Comment

If you can hold out you will catch ENCO with a 10% off that is on top of a internet sale price (the ENCO RongFU clones are always going on sale) of about 25% off and even free freight.
                They run the sale about twice a year.. I got a ENCO RF-45 clone (dovetail column) for about $1600 without stand or DRO a little over a year ago.

The freight company typically takes it to the 'end of their tailgate' unless you pay extra. The rest (including getting it off the truck) is up to you.

Comment

I had a Taiwanese Rong-Fu mill many years ago. It was okay until I could afford a Bridgeport. Just be sure not to put it in the sunshine place.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                    I've never seen a real Rong Fu 31 in person (I owned a Chinese Enco RF-31 for several years), but I'm told the Taiwanese versions are really nice.
                    Yes, you have... You just didn't realize it - my Enco RF-31 is Taiwanese and I'll bet it came out of the Rong Fu factory. I got it in 1990 or 91, long before the Chinese copies came along.
                    TexasTurnado

Comment

The mill drill marketed under the Jet label several years ago was also made by Rong-FU. I have no idea if this is still the case.

Comment

I had the Jet version of this many years ago before I got my Lagun.
                        For the price they are OK but the head on that round post tends to twist on a heavy cut. Light stuff is fine.
                        Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Suggest you look a little harder for the RF-45. Square column - the head doesn't lose register when you change its height.

Comment

I was looking at the link to the Enco version for $2136. This is basically the same round column mill that is sold all over for varying prices and probably varying levels of QC and support. Round column mills have one basic drawback; the round column makes it impossible to raise or lower the head in the middle of a job without loosing the position of the tool to the work. This is because the head is free to rotate around the column, ususlly a full 360 degrees. A second drawback is you can not tilt the head for angled cuts or drilling angled holes. This can make some jobs a lot more time consuming.

I know that this kind of mill/drill can be purchased for a lot less, but if you are going to spend this kind of money, you should really consider a dovetail column machine like this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/9-x-...th-Stand/G0484

I have one of these and after several years of using a round column mill almost identical to the Enco model in the link, I find the dovetail column machine to be a dream.

As far as Grizzly is concerned, in my opinion, they are one of the best and most reliable machinery dealers in the US. I have visited their Missouri showroom several times and have purchased several machines from them and have been favorably impressed. I have also seen a HF store and there is no comparison.

All the usual disclaimers.
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

Make it fit.
                            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTurnado
                              Yes, you have... You just didn't realize it - my Enco RF-31 is Taiwanese and I'll bet it came out of the Rong Fu factory. I got it in 1990 or 91, long before the Chinese copies came along.
                              John, mine was a Made in Taiwan Enco RF-31 too:

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...e_album/RF-31/

But it's claimed that the authentic Rong Fu's have heavier castings, better materials, etc. Shrug. For the prices they're asking, you're deep into good, used turret mill territory.
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X