OT what happened to this quarter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT what happened to this quarter?

Wife said she found it in my pants pocket while doing laundry. What happened to it?

Andy

Left running overnite in a coin counter?

Comment

It looks like it delaminated.

Of course, someone might have 'faced it' in a lathe. Serious chatter marks there.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

She does the laundry with pure lye?

Comment

Eroding the same way as the economy?

Comment

The US economy happened to that quarter.
            I can only give you $CAD0.20 for it.
            Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

That looks like what happens when you zap a coin with electricity, though not to THIS degree. Note the radial lines with remind me of those on the OP's quarter.

Comment

Looks like it was mis-struck when made. They are worth some money in the collector market. Probably not a great deal but don't throw it out.

Another possibility is that it was lying on the road and has been scuffed along the pavement repeatedly when driven on.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The government has been out sourcing to India

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                    Wife said she found it in my pants pocket while doing laundry. What happened to it?
                    Runaway inflation!

Comment

The marks are all perfectly lined up towards the center. Like it would have been in a lathe and one half was wire brushed while it spun.

Andy

Comment

Tell wife to use the gentle cycle next time.
                        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Are you quite sure that it didn't look like that when it entered the washing machine? If that is the case, then nothing happened to it.

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                            The marks are all perfectly lined up towards the center. Like it would have been in a lathe and one half was wire brushed while it spun.
                            That seems likely, as to how it was formed. But why would anybody go to such trouble, and not keep the quarter? We need a Hercule Poirot to solve this mystery.
                            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Eh, it could be the product of a home machinist who was practicing milling the backs off quarters to glue two together to make a two-headed coin. I understand it's fun for some folk. . .
                              Cheers,

Frank Ford
                              HomeShopTech

Comment

Working...
                              X