Why are people such JERKS (part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are people such JERKS (part 2)

A few days ago we heard or the frustrations of a seller dealing with buyers. I thought I'd now present the other side of the coin, because to be quite honest I'm getting a bit POed.

In the past week alone I have contacted people/companies by email/telephone message/on-line form, with cash in my hand more than willing to buy. How many? A total of 5 motor vehicles, 2 milling machines, a surface grinder, and a relatively expensive piece of software (clearly I only wanted to buy one example of each). That's just THIS week. You'd think at that rate my front yard would look like Wal-mart's parking lot and I'd have enough machinery to start a small factory. But I don't. Why? Well anyone care to guess how many of these sellers actually returned the phone calls/emails/etc

ONE! And he completely lied about the vehicle he had for sale. At first I thought he was mistaken, but no, turns out to be a sham.

So that's looking at things from the other perspective. I'd love to say this is an isolated coincidence, but I think I can honestly say that the likelihood of a company returning an enquiry message if they can't deal with it immediately would genuinely be around 50-60% here in Australia. Literally. I guess they are all too busy whinging about how tough things are!

What did your queries exactly state?

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
      What did your queries exactly state?
      Well it varied depending on the goods, the surface grinder was POA so I asked what the price was, some of the cars (well actually what you guys would call "trucks") I asked if I could arrange a time to come and look at them. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what I asked, they all required a response, even if that "requirement" was simply the courtesy to say "sorry I've changed my mind/already sold it/don't like the the sound of your name/have heard you're a trouble maker"

Comment

As far as I can see, it became almost a norm. I'm not surprised any more.
        Mike
        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Sidernee?

P'raps its a "Sydney thing".

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP
            As far as I can see, it became almost a norm. I'm not surprised any more.
            That's pretty true, but don't expect alot from email.
            Did they post a telephone number?

The number one rule of thumb when selling on the internet is to not waist your time with the volley of emails from tire kickers asking questions like what color is it and if you have the part that is not shown in the photo. When a customer calls we have a confirmed sale 85% of the time, email people turn into a sale less then 5% of a time so why consume resources for a 5% return. Its better to focus on the well qualified buyer and make their buying experience perfect.
            Last edited by squirrel; 12-02-2010, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
              Nah, In my quest to purchase a Leica M9 along with a 35mm f2 asph lens and a 75mm f2 asph lens along with a Canon 5D Mark II with 28-70mm f2.8 USM lens I have nearly had to kiss people arse to get quotes.

I recently won an auction for a Canon 50mm f 0.95 lens with Leica M mount for $2370 and still have nor received it or heard from the dealer yet he has rave reviews on ebay?

Considering how crappy the economy is supposed to be I don't see many merchants willing to do business when staring green in the face. It's getting old.
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog

I recently won an auction for a Canon 50mm f 0.95 lens with Leica M mount for $2370 and still have nor received it or heard from the dealer yet he has rave reviews on ebay?

Considering how crappy the economy is supposed to be I don't see many merchants willing to do business when staring green in the face. It's getting old.
                All you have to do is file a claim with paypal or do a charge back on your credit card, so I don't see how you could have incurred any damage.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                  I don't know about that. I seem to have the same luck getting a quote out of anyone. I even leave charming and witty messages on answering machines.

My last was an attempt for a quote on a DRO scale. Took two weeks, and even that was due to prompting from their o'seas head office. By that time I could have had the part from the US office (for a third of the price) if they hadn't refused my business owing to territory constraints.

Before that it was a vain attempt to get a car out of a dealer. Took him four weeks to arrange a test drive, by which time I had purchased elsewhere. Get this: He was pissed off! WTFFFF?

I don't expect people to jump when I call, but I do expect some kind of timely response, even if its a "bugger off"

Comment

Squirrel: not sure I agree with "waste of time", (a) how an email is more or less of a waste of time than a similar phone call (plus you don't have to think about time of day/hours), (b) by not "accepting" emails, is one not losing a potential customer/sale?

If a "missing part" is just that, don't ask or don't ask in an email?
                    Perfect example was locally a small turret attachment was being sold and the seller had no idea of either the attachment point (turned out to be a MT # 2) or the size of the holes in the actual turret, both of which are kind of important and an example where it would not matter either email or phone since it would require more checking and a return call or mail.

Quick survey of local Kijiji: puts including phone # at about 60% for both a specific item (snow blower) and the general list (tools and equipment) with one specifying ONLY email and another specifying "Skpye" only, the latter which I am guessing will lose what, 30% right off the bat not being knowing what that even is and, I am guessing here, another 30% to 40% who don't use Skype.

I did find it interesting during this little "survey", some ads were so basic it was almost not worth even the check from the listing to the actual ad, others were very, very precise in both description (most often copies from the Mfg site or scan from the manual) as well as past use, reason for selling and possible further cost (e.g. needs new belt).

I also think there is a major difference between buying and selling (D'uh?) and actively searching/wanting to buy.
                    If someone is actively searching for an item, isn't that an indication of ready $$$ and as a seller you go do a bit of extra?

Aside: what is it with "I'm selling for XYZ...", 'don't call or email me'? I don't know you and I am calling or mailing whatever the address or phone # is in the ad and if that is your contact info, WTF else am I supposed to do?

It made the paper here about a year ago that people were going wanting for home remodeling work that they wanted done because they could not get anyone to contact them back...IF it is getting better financially out there, I doubt it is that good!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                      That's pretty true, but don't expect alot from email.
                      Did they post a telephone number?

The number one rule of thumb when selling on the internet is to not waist your time with the volley of emails from tire kickers asking questions like what color is it and if you have the part that is not shown in the photo. When a customer calls we have a confirmed sale 85% of the time, email people turn into a sale less then 5% of a time so why consume resources for a 5% return. Its better to focus on the well qualified buyer and make their buying experience perfect.
                      Mate I hope you're joking My number one rule of thumb is to not offer a form of communication you don't intend attending. Don't like emails and think they're a "waste of time", that's your business (just don't expect mine) so don't publish an email address. I don't expect people to hover over their email accounts like a seagull waiting for a dropped chip, but I think if somebody is offering that as the PRIMARY point of contact, a few days is a reasonable time to expect an answer to a question like "can I arrange a time to view your car?"

Comment

I'm a stickler for answering email, no matter!
                        My business is internet sales and there are lots of emails.

It's taking care of business and how I'd like to be treated, that's the bottom line.

Have likely asked my share of stupid questions via email myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                          *** Nah, In my quest to purchase a Leica M9 along with a 35mm f2 asph lens and a 75mm f2 asph lens along with *** a Canon 50mm f 0.95 lens with Leica M mount *** It's getting old.
                          That's a serious bit of kit YOD, I'm jealous! Sure miss my old beat up M4P/Leicavit/35mm-f1.4 combo.

I buy more than sell and I agree with the OP's frustrations. Especially if you posted that damn FS ad, expect to be contacted! I sometimes think that a seller will make an initial post of a CL ad just to guage interest as a way of figuring out a price.

Bob

Comment

Well as we all like "happy endings" ... no not the type you get for 5 bucks in Bangkok, it looks like I may have got the little surface grinder and mill. Mind you they haven't called me back so I can arrange transferring money to their account, so I guess it's not over yet! The "truck" however is still a work in progress. I'm seriously thinking about simply going to a dealer and forking out the extra couple of grand just to minimise my tosser exposure.

Ok the software I may not hear anything else on ... in my enquiry I may have included the question, "BTW why is this identical product almost 50% more here in Australia than it's being sold for in the US?"

Comment

When I ordered my Tormach recently I contacted by email, three freight forwarders. IJS Global responded almost instantly and I had the quote the next day. The other two did not reply to my email at all in fact the machine arrives in Sydney next Tuesday and they still haven't replied?
                              Will

Comment

Working...
                              X