• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snowplow

Nice piece of work!
    Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by ZINOM
      Here's a shot of the trans engage lever I made for my old Ariens Sno Thro.

This model year had a lever mounted below the bar and you had to squeeze it to stop....I thought it'd be safer with a "deadman" set-up.

It has since been painted orange to match the original machine color

I'd like to see what others have done as well.

John
      Think I have a similar model. Mine was built in the late 60's and still runs great other than a low rpm hunting problem.

Comment

Don't remember where I saw it but the author attached thick rubber pieces to the ends of the central impeller to close any gap between the impeller and the housing.

Claimed it increased the throwing distance significantly.

I may try that this year.

Next year I'll hire someone.
        Len

Comment

Originally posted by rbertalotto
          A snowblower simply cloggs up and won't throw it. It needs to be plowed............
          I would think that you should be able to throw the snow farther than you can push it. Once the blade is full it either goes over the top or spills to the sides. The only time a blade out shines a blower is if you have a big enough enough machine and blade to push it up and out of the way.

I find snow blowers that have to throw heavy wet snow will have less tendency to clog if they are eating lots of snow, make it work hard, feed it fast and it won't clog. If the blower is just eating a light snack it will clog.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy
            Once at a place I worked they had a walk behind snow blower with rubber tracks instead of wheels. It was dark green. Since then I've never seen another one like it. Does anyone know what brand that might have been?
            I have a Sears unit that uses a track. I like it because I can easily let it drive up the stairs of my deck, or clear a track on the lawn for the dog to do his business.
            Eric Sanders in Brighton, Michigan
            www.scope-werks.com
            www.compufoil.com

Comment

I hate snow. I moved away from the north to get away from snow, cold weather and unions. Its the smartest thing I ever did.

Comment

Hyd driven

I drive mine from a hydraulic motor as my case GT is hydraulic driven....

I can get 40- 50 feet of throw in about any kind of snow. It is 45 inch 2 stage. Id post pics but dont know how to attach here......
                Also repowered a Gilson to 16 HP it too is 2 stage 5% overdriven blower and 5% underdriven drive..... Makes everything around look stupid in any snow. Even slush flies 30 feet..... got to be careful around the nieghbor hood.... hard on windows and cars HA HA HA but she will toss the snow...or vaporize it

Laughin in Ne no snow to play with yet this year, damn

CJ Ne

Comment

Originally posted by rbertalotto
                  I live near the coast up here in New England. We get a lot of 5" snow falls that is very wet snow. A snowblower simply cloggs up and won't throw it. It needs to be plowed.............Therefore:
                  yea, its not the snow thats the problem, its the machine.

a real snowblower can handle a lot more than 5". plus, how far can something that weighs a few hundred pounds push a ever growing pile of snow?

Comment

There are bigger etc. etc. but this auger idea (to start) is interesting... and technically, you still walk behind it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xA7U...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by travisn
                      yea, its not the snow thats the problem, its the machine.

a real snowblower can handle a lot more than 5". plus, how far can something that weighs a few hundred pounds push a ever growing pile of snow?
                      Even many wimpy snowblowers can handle more than that, though admittedly wet snow is a PITA.

Somewhere around I have pics of me clearing the driveway of our previous house about 3 years ago after a major blizzard (3' snowfall). Due to the lay of the land our driveway always got hit with massive drifts. This time there was a wall of snow 8' high and 12' wide, about 4' deep. Cleared it with a POS Craftsman, though it took forever. I would have paid the local plow (frontend loader) to do it but they were buried.

Incidentally, for any Canadians looking to rebuild their blowers this year as I am forced to do http://www.jackssmallengines.com/ is a pretty decent place for parts AND they'll ship to Canada USPS instead of the dreaded UPS like most.

Comment

I have had very good luck the last 3 years after coating our snow blowers chute's with POR-15. We have two blowers both on toro tractors and a 89 ford truck with a hiniker plow. We have had walk behinds before but they don't get used. Everyone prefers the tractor blowers. All single stage blowers.
                        Andy

Comment

This is a good mod & should be EZ to do.
                          Back in the 70's when I had a 50' driveway I had a Sears 8HP with a POWER drift wrecker on it.
                          It was a simple pipe mounted maybe 8" above the top of the auger.
                          On the pipe was welded 3" long steel bars at slightly offset angles. This thing was powered off the auger by a chain.

I used to get a ton of snow from the city snowplows & that wrecker made short work of it.
                          Also if we got a big snow with drifting that wrecker had the effect of the snowblower having a auger a 30% bigger in dia.

Driveway is over 200' long now and too old to walk behind a snowblower now it's a 4WD compact diesel tractor!

Comment

We usually get dry light snow here and not that much since this is a semi arid area. A neighbour gave me this blower with a dead engine so I decided to install a motor that will start easily even at -30. The motor is an 1800 rpm 1.5 hp that needs a 20 amp circuit which I have just inside the garage door. It works too although it doesn't throw very far. It's just for doing the small close areas that the Land Rover can't do with the blade.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I bet it would throw snow farther if there was a drive belt on the motor.
                              Andy

Comment

There is. That is a variable pulley and it is set to a small diameter and the belt runs under the idler with the tension handle.
                                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                                X