lets see your snowblower mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Post Reply

Well had a phone call the other evening. Seems the Minister (My Neighbour) asked me to quit blowing snow 50 feet from my driveway (18 car size) onto his rear deck with my new snowblower. I call it Kill Blower. I tightened up the augers, installed a experimental (thats what mtd told me when I bought it new from the Manager)) 15 horsepower motor on it. Man it jets snow like quite a ways. OH he (my neighbour finally moved away) with my motorcycles,,,, snow on his porch he couldnt take it?? NO he just got old and mocved im Not a prick. I try to be a good neighbour. My blower even has a muffler not a open pipe. (Yet??)

Comment

After some 40 years of shoveling (I'm 51) and one of the top-ten snowiest winters on record here, I finally broke down and bought one. It's a used one, but a good one.

I got a 2006 Husqvarna 10530SBE from a Craigslist seller for $500, and couldn't be happier. Supposedly has 10.5HP and 30" cut. I can see a few small areas for improvement that I might tackle this coming summer, but it's pretty darn nice the way it is.

Comment

I have a older Honda with tracks and hydrostatic drive....really well made. My brother works on ALL types of
        lawnmowers, snow blowers, and boat motors (same location for 50 years) and says Hondas are the best made. What I like about it most is you can slow the speed of the tracks to what ever you like....I run mine just enough so the governor does not come on to speed up the
        drive motor. It effortlessly tosses ANY kind of snow with ease. $2,100 at the time was allot of money....well worth it.
        www.neufellmachining.com

Comment

Hi All

To me a snow blowers main objective is to take the snow off your driveway and deposit it on you.
          Have a look at this video clip. This puppy would be way more fun than any snow blower. Not to mention quite the winter build project.

http://www.myspace.com/video/3742398...-snow/33110601

Regards ..Bert

Comment

Well, Let me break into the super power boys, and get back to some shop work.
            I have a 30 year old Arhens snowblower, with a 5 HP Tecomseh engine called the "Snow King" . After all these Green Bay winters, it gave out last year and seized solid, when the Oil slinger (spash lube) broke off the con rod from metal fatigue. When I checked on new engines, I found a surplus new engine for 135 bucks, however it did not match the old engine. My old one had two shafts and the cheapest I could find from the locals was a short block for 500 bucks !!!
            The crank shaft drives the Impeller , and the second shaft is really an extension of the cam shaft, and it's much needed slower speed is used to drive the traction wheels. So what to do ? Being retired means no big bucks, but hey, I have a full machine shop---lets use it .

So I took the old cam shaft and bull gear out, and separated the small gear from the old crank.
            The new engine (block) had a depression where the extended camshaft should come out, but it was just a casting and none functional. I mounted a 3/16 steel plate to the case and had a 90 degree plate on one end of it for another mod not done yet ( in the photo)(electric chute control).
            The Plate was bored to match the Camshaft position in which to hold a ball bearing
            I turned down the cam shaft with the intergral (one piece !) Bull gear and mounted a pulley and two Ball Bearings on it. The shaft was too small for a keyway, so I used some pins doweled into the gear for power transfer, and the bearing kept them together and placed them in a stiff bracket.
            I bored out the small gear and keyed/mounted it on a new pulley for the impeller drive. I was ready to blow.

Here are the pics of my modifications turning a single crank engine into a two output shaft engine with only scraps used

Nothing fancy , but a whole lot cheaper than a custom engine
            Rich

Oh by the way, I did get a power increase.
            The 30 year old engine was 5 HP and the new one is 5 1/2 HP !
            Green Bay, WI

Comment

The worm gear mechanism is cumbersome, but most of these use a worm gear that is a spiral wound heavy rod welded to the end of the winding rod. It's very much like ornamental wrought iron work.
              However, these mechanisms (I'm sure there are many thousands of them out there) take six full revolutions to move the chute from left to right.
              Here's what I did in response to this:
              http://youtu.be/EGUwuAj5rtw[/URL]

Comment

For anyone looking for a REAL snowblower try and find one of these...........

Belongs to a friend and it really does the job on any kind of snow, plus throws it "forty miles".

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt
                  Well, Let me break into the super power boys, and get back to some shop work.
                  I have a 30 year old Arhens snowblower, with a 5 HP Tecomseh engine called the "Snow King" . After all these Green Bay winters, it gave out last year and seized solid, when the Oil slinger (spash lube) broke off the con rod from metal fatigue. When I checked on new engines, I found a surplus new engine for 135 bucks, however it did not match the old engine. My old one had two shafts and the cheapest I could find from the locals was a short block for 500 bucks !!!
                  The crank shaft drives the Impeller , and the second shaft is really an extension of the cam shaft, and it's much needed slower speed is used to drive the traction wheels. So what to do ? Being retired means no big bucks, but hey, I have a full machine shop---lets use it .

So I took the old cam shaft and bull gear out, and separated the small gear from the old crank.
                  The new engine (block) had a depression where the extended camshaft should come out, but it was just a casting and none functional. I mounted a 3/16 steel plate to the case and had a 90 degree plate on one end of it for another mod not done yet ( in the photo)(electric chute control).
                  The Plate was bored to match the Camshaft position in which to hold a ball bearing
                  I turned down the cam shaft with the intergral (one piece !) Bull gear and mounted a pulley and two Ball Bearings on it. The shaft was too small for a keyway, so I used some pins doweled into the gear for power transfer, and the bearing kept them together and placed them in a stiff bracket.
                  I bored out the small gear and keyed/mounted it on a new pulley for the impeller drive. I was ready to blow.

Here are the pics of my modifications turning a single crank engine into a two output shaft engine with only scraps used

Nothing fancy , but a whole lot cheaper than a custom engine
                  Rich

Oh by the way, I did get a power increase.
                  The 30 year old engine was 5 HP and the new one is 5 1/2 HP !

Excellent solution to that extended cam shaft problem. I also have that engine on my blower and would love to use one of those (single out put shaft) imports and really boost the power. How did that arrangement work out with the gears outside like that?

I have seen a few of these beasts for sale which could also be a candidate for re-powering, except they are single stage, and we get mostly wet snow here.

This is the double out put shaft arrangement referred to above.

Comment

Originally posted by CCrowell
                    The worm gear mechanism is cumbersome, but most of these use a worm gear that is a spiral wound heavy rod welded to the end of the winding rod. It's very much like ornamental wrought iron work.
                    However, these mechanisms (I'm sure there are many thousands of them out there) take six full revolutions to move the chute from left to right.
                    Here's what I did in response to this:
                    http://youtu.be/EGUwuAj5rtw[/URL]

Can you give us a direct link for that youtuber? My computer doesn't like that one. Would really like to see what you did.

BTW.....Welcome! Where are you??

Comment

Somewhat snowblower related:

I have a friend who has a small fab shop at home with a large yard as he does a lot of tractor trailer work, heavy equipment etc.
                      He HATES SNOW!!
                      Had a blower behind a tractor, but he thought it was taking him too long to clear the yard.
                      So he has an old "Pettibone" and he built a bucket for it, the bucket is 4ft high x 14 feet wide.
                      Threw chains on it , and man, does that thing move snow IN A HURRY!!

Comment

Speaking of loaders.........Used to have a joint/private laneway behind the house when I lived in Montreal...........this is the hired contractors work, just getting started on winter, 1978.

The seventies were brutal on snow removal contractors. After they got burned on multiple huge snowfalls, most included a clause in their future contracts so they could charge extra after 100" of snow.

Comment

Honda 928 The Zamboni

Bought a new Honda 9hp, tracks, electric start and chute. Great machine but no steering so I robbed the planetaries from my 29 yr old Craftsman and fabbed them in. No pics, but it was quite the mod! Works flawlessly, can't believe Honda doesn't sell it with steering, cuz it's a heavy beast.
                          I spent most of my money on women and booze, the rest I just wasted.

Comment

Working...
                          X