Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Tool Gloat] Fairly Substantial "better than a Dremel " for $5!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two things:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/dremel

They seem to have Dremel bits in bulk for decent prices...

and second:

I told Wife Unit what that thingy (router base) was for... and she promptly YOINK'D! it off my desk, I can hear her Dremel running in the studio so apparently she's working on Something.
    Last edited by Liger Zero; 12-03-2010, 07:57 PM.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

There are fairly decent drill chucks available for Dremals...

I rarely fit the collet anymore.

I use air grinders for bigger work, and the flex shaft once in a while.
      Dremals are light duty compared to a Foredom for sure..

Comment

Dremmel Collet chuck

Originally posted by Liger Zero
        Absolutely. I will get it off in the mail to you as soon as I finish building my fusion reactor.

It gotta be better than that craptastic compression collet thing that Dremel uses.
        I have had a dremmel for about 18 years now and the collet has never faulted , I did let a workmate use it once and found that he had wayy overtightened the nut and was forcing the grinding wheel which did cause some damage to the case.
        I have since replaced the case and it is as good as ever ,now I only lend my equipment with me attached .

Michael

Comment

I have what looks like a knockoff of the foredom. Great machine! I don't have a key for the chuck, but I haven't looked very hard for one. It hangs at one end of the shop, and the dremel hangs at the other end. The dremel gets more use, but only because I got it first and adapted the handpiece to the toolpost. Interesting thing about the dremel- it hung in a local hobby shop for years, almost eons. I was in there every now and then, and one day I kind of felt sorry for the owner- I don't know why, he was (is) a peculiar sort of fellow- anyway I bought the dremel and that made his day. The motor unit works well, but the handpiece could sure use a re-build for better, tighter bearings.

Curious, I just went and had a look at the knockoff- it's called Pro-Craft, and it is in fact made by Foredom, says right on it. I hadn't seen that before. Interesting about that tool- I got it for three dollars because it wasn't working. I figured I might be able to fix it. The guy tried to demonstrate it for me, knowing it wouldn't run- plugged it in, played with the foot pedal control, no motor runnee. I got it home, noticed a power switch, clicked it, now motor runnee!

Ok, that's my tool gloat hijack.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

She built a fixture for her glass art. Used the router thing to cut groves in her table-top and cut wood pieces on her jig-saw and shaped them with a sander-bit.

...the woman she's becoming ONE OF US.

(I'll have to see about a picture of her in her workshop for the ULTIMATE GAME WINNING MEGA-TRUMP TOUCHDOWN GLOAT TO END ALL GLOATS.)
            This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
            Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
            Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by 41mag
              have you seen the Foredoms?

http://www.foredom.net/
              Ya,do they make anything like a Dremel thou?I have used the cable drive units,they are nice,but not completely portable,IE throw it in a toolbox and run.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

For $5 that is an excellent deal, I would buy that even if I didn't have a use for it at the time.

Here is my version of a "Dremel", An Ozito 1/4 router, definitely a two handed job and can be dangerous depending what tip you use and what you are doing, but have had it for about two years and still have all my digits. 600 watts of power and variable speed and takes anything with 1/4" bits, wire brushes, carbide and stone grinding bits etc. anything that requires a more delicate approach then I use an air micro grinder. Use it about once a week for grinding out welds, beveling etc. or I can actually use it for what it was intended for and that is a 1/4" router, but I have a 1/2" router for that sort of work which does a much better job.

Comment

Working...
                X