Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Tool Gloat] Fairly Substantial "better than a Dremel " for $5!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Tool Gloat] Fairly Substantial "better than a Dremel " for $5!

We have a not-for-profit "Used Tool" shop that just opened. They have lots of tools, good and bad there. They accept old tools, power tools and machines, clean them up, test 'em out and sell them CHEAP. Goal is to raise money for one of the church food-pantry programs. I 100% approve of trading money for tools if some of that money goes to help people who need such help.

Anyway. It runs... very very smooth. Goes from fast to OMG FAST, twice as fast as my Dremel.

The power box is very substantial too. Good 3-4 pounds, and you can see a [email protected] transformer in there.

The chuck is a proper chuck too! Got little jaws and everything. Came with two spare chucks still sealed in plastic. Proper chuck with jaws as opposed to those fail-tastic compression-collet things that Dremel uses.

I'm not sure what this is:

...the tool fits in it securely. The metal part moves back and forth and locks with a wing-nut. The plastic piece moves up and down when you turn the knob giving some fine vertical motion. It says Dremel on the front... I think it is part of something else, not original equipment.

Well, that's my gloat. No one has beat the "Everlasting Drill And Tap Box Of The Gods" yet today this week.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Mystery piece sure looks like a dremel router attachment of some kind.
    ----
    Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

I just noticed something:

"Made in WEST Germany"

Amazing that it's lasted this long... Germany has been unified for how long now? To compare, my Dremel is showing wear after only a few months use...
      This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
      Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

Liger,

I think you need to send it to me for testing to see if its safe. I'll get it back to you in a year or so.

Stan

Comment

My dad has one of these. Got it in the mid-80's. Pretty decent. Bad thing was the two pin connector on the front went bad so I replaced it with a little panel mount twist lock.

I would say the main problem was the little chuck would not hold well and loosen on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan
            Liger,

I think you need to send it to me for testing to see if its safe. I'll get it back to you in a year or so.

Stan
            Absolutely. I will get it off in the mail to you as soon as I finish building my fusion reactor.

Originally posted by macona
            I would say the main problem was the little chuck would not hold well and loosen on its own.
            It gotta be better than that craptastic compression collet thing that Dremel uses.

Comment

The original kit did come with collets and a collet nut.

Comment

Interesting. I have the blowmolded box... All that remains of the "kit" is a plastic sleeve that fits in a compartment. There are all kinds of interesting depressions though so it seems to have come with quite a bit of "stuff."

Comment

The other item is an old style about 3 version ago compared to the current version Dremel hand router attachment.
                  Glen
                  Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                  I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                  All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Originally posted by PTSideshow
                    The other item is an old style about 3 version ago compared to the current version Dremel hand router attachment.
                    Is it complete or am I missing pieces?

Comment

Mystery piece sure looks like a dremel router attachment
                      Looks Exactly like my Dremel router base... Congrats on a good find!
                      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

You know I would gladly pay more for a decent Dremel tool.

By decent I mean a cast aluminum case with machined bearing bores.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                          You know I would gladly pay more for a decent Dremel tool.

By decent I mean a cast aluminum case with machined bearing bores.
                          have you seen the Foredoms?

http://www.foredom.net/

Comment

My guess is you'll pay far more for the router bits for it then what you paid for the tool and the router base.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                              My guess is you'll pay far more for the router bits for it then what you paid for the tool and the router base.
                              ...ain't that the truth!

On the other hand, little tiny brass brushes and those feltoid polishing wheels rock.

Comment

Working...
                              X