Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Toy: Baldor Grinder Off Ebay

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Toy: Baldor Grinder Off Ebay

    With all these good lessons on grinding, I was anxious to jump in and try it, so I bought this grinder on Ebay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT


    The motor is 3 phase. Should I use a VFD to convert my 220 1 phase to 3 phase or some other setup?

    Do you guys think I got ripped off?


    Thanks!

  • #2
    .
    .
    First four images.

    Comment


    • #3
      $180 seems pretty reasonable for an actual Baldor Tool & Carbide
      grinder. When I was shopping, I saw nice ones with pedestal stands
      advertised for $500+.

      This one is missing the mitre and the coolant drip pot (mounts on the
      studs above the wheels). The stated green colour of its wheels
      indicates they are Silicon Carbide and intended for sharpening carbide
      tools. For HSS tools, white Aluminum Oxide wheels are more suitable.

      .

      Comment


      • #4
        That looks like a good deal to me. I would use a VFD to power it. I have a VFD on my 2X72 belt sander and it is amazing how it improves its usefullness.
        Byron Boucher
        Burnet, TX

        Comment


        • #5
          You have at least one other machine with a three phase motor? The VN, right? What about you SB lathe? Single or three phase? Build the RPC once, run all your machines and any new ones you add. Three phase, 5HP motors are dirt cheap, try a scrap yard that deals in non-ferrous scrap only, they're likely to have a pile of motors. Bring your VOM or DMM to check out the windings. Lots of plans on the 'net.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rosco-P
            You have at least one other machine with a three phase motor? The VN, right? What about you SB lathe? Single or three phase? Build the RPC once, run all your machines and any new ones you add. Three phase, 5HP motors are dirt cheap, try a scrap yard that deals in non-ferrous scrap only, they're likely to have a pile of motors. Bring your VOM or DMM to check out the windings. Lots of plans on the 'net.

            Since a grinder is only going to be run at one speed, I second the above suggestion for a rotary phase converter. If you do a 5 hp version, you could run your lathe and the grinder.

            Or, if the grinder is your only 3 phase unit, then a 1 hp 3 ph motor could be easily turned into a small RPC.

            VFD's are nice if you want to change speed on something with a 3 phase motor. I'm guessing that if you have an SB lathe, it's single phase...could be wrong but likely. the grinder doesn't need the speed control and you can get motors pretty cheap. I got a brand new 5 hp motor on eBay delivered for $110. I added a contactor and some capacitors and it provides good stable 3 ph power for my 3 hp Webb Variable speed Mill.

            The reason I like RPC's is that they are very simple. If one quits, it's easily fixed. Yeah, I know, VFD's never quit. Yes they do. Not often but when one does, if you ask anyone how to fix it, you get that "deer in the headlights" look.

            Comment


            • #7
              Eddy> I figured I would order the miter gauge and drip pots from the Grizzly/HF machine.

              Rosco-P> All my machines are 3 phase: SB 10L, VN #12, Burke #4 but I'm no electrical wiz, so I was planning to put a VFD on each (2 on the VN, 1 for each motor). I'm not sure I could build a phase converter without blowing the house up.

              From what I hear, I didn't get nipped too bad, despite the lack of miter, drip pot and the fact that it was painted (which always makes me suspicious but especially when someone paints a grinder, because like who cares what a grinder looks like?).

              Thanks for the opinions- I really appreciate it.

              Comment


              • #8
                You got a good high quality tool for the same price as a new POS one from Harbor freight - so not bad on that count. You did not get ripped, but it was not a steal. The thing is it's value will probably never go lower.

                I checked the bid history on it, there were a few people in the hunt and placed their value near yours - so that should make you feel good - they can't all be shills.
                Last edited by gda; 12-03-2010, 07:22 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by AllThumbz
                  Eddy> I figured I would order the miter gauge and drip pots
                  from the Grizzly/HF machine.
                  Do not order the HF/Grizzly mitre. IMO, this is a poorly designed piece - it
                  does not hold a setting well. Also, while I haven't checked, I suspect the
                  slot width is different on the Baldor, so the G/HF mitre would not readily fit.

                  If the G/HF drip pot is inexpensive, then it might be worthwhile buying
                  rather than making. Only get one, that's all that is required and it is all
                  that came with my HF.

                  .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Your got a good deal but don't buy a drip pot. Buy the miter from Baldor, it will fit your grinder and be better quality.
                    It's only ink and paper

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Eddy & Carl> Thanks for the good advice. I will contact Baldor for the mitre gauge.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gda
                        You got a good high quality tool for the same price as a new POS one from Harbor freight - so not bad on that count. You did not get ripped, but it was not a steal. The thing is it's value will probably never go lower.

                        I checked the bid history on it, there were a few people in the hunt and placed their value near yours - so that should make you feel good - they can't all be shills.
                        Good points. I very seriously considered the Harbor Freight tool for $189.99, and then using George Wilson's methods (I think it was George- I saw a video on YouTube on modifying the HF Grinder) to fix the tables. Of course, as you aptly point out, you still don't have a Baldor when you are done.

                        I don't want to "steal" anything (ok, ok, yes I do, I want you guys to call me a bastard, I admit it LOL), but I am glad consensus is that I did ok. So many "kits" in my little shop now, I just didn't want to get one more, yanno?

                        I have a VFD that someone gave me, and I will probably try to hook that up to the leads on the grinder, replace the green wheels, buy a miter gauge and give her a whirl trying to grind my own HSS bits.

                        Thanks for all the advice, guys....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'll tell you something else you will be doing. You will switch to a diamond wheel for grinding carbide on one end and a white wheel on the other end for HSS cutters. So don't waste your money on a green wheel and go ahead and buy a diamond wheel.

                          CDCO has a diamond wheel for a very good price, I have one of theirs and it works for me.
                          It's only ink and paper

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Carld
                            I'll tell you something else you will be doing. You will switch to a diamond wheel for grinding carbide on one end and a white wheel on the other end for HSS cutters. So don't waste your money on a green wheel and go ahead and buy a diamond wheel.

                            CDCO has a diamond wheel for a very good price, I have one of theirs and it works for me.
                            Ah, I planned to toss the two green wheels it had on it. I think I will be doing HSS first to learn on, so I will definately need a white wheel for HSS. I hear the diamond wheels are awesome, but cannot be used on HSS. I will definitely check out CDCO. Thanks again Carl.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The ad said the unit was COMPLETE. It is NOT. You are missing the miter gauges,which is a serious omission,plus the water pots. They are probably going to soak you for the miter gauges.

                              There is a second "Baldor grinder" offered for about $585.00. I may be wrong,but it looks like it has the cheap pot metal miter gauges off an import. Looks like pot metal trunnions under the table too. Is this guy taking a Baldor motor and hanging import parts on it??? Maybe I'm wrong,but I thought the genuine Baldor miter gauges were a LOT better than those shown. You all be careful.
                              Last edited by gwilson; 12-04-2010, 12:14 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X