The newb actually accomplished something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The newb actually accomplished something

Looks like I can finally put down the dremel and 3 pound hammer. I may have actually accomplished something proper.

After building a spider to hold the barrel, buying a steady rest that wasn't for my lathe and modifying/building new to make it work I finally chucked up a barrel and got to work. Everything was dialed in off of a guide rod in the bore down to 1/2 thou or so.

Oh, and I discovered that the witness marks on my lathe were backwards from what I thought so I had to work out a new scribe position to mark 29.5 degrees for threading. All of that done and I produced this on my first test.

After cutting the barrel to the new proper length, I made this.

Trued, threaded 24 tpi, crowned and ready to go. Kids play to you guys but this was a goal when I started this whole crazy thing. I'm pretty stoked.
    Dan from Raleigh, NC

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.

It's a good start, Dan. None of us was hatched knowing how to do this stuff!

David
    David Kaiser
    “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Good job and a nice looking start there. I hope they all turn out that nice in the future.

rock~
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Threading

Yep- lookin' good. You'll be fine. Go for it!

Comment

Maybe I shouldn't ask, but is that for a muzzle brake or a silencer?

Whatever it is, good work.
          Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

Originally posted by davidwdyer
            Maybe I shouldn't ask, but is that for a muzzle brake or a silencer?

Whatever it is, good work.
            Once I get my ATF form 1 done it'll be for a suppressor. Figured I better actually be able to attach it before I spend the $200 on a tax stamp.
            Dan from Raleigh, NC

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.
            "What is your host's purpose for the party? Surely not for you to enjoy yourself; if that were their sole purpose, they'd have sent champagne and women over to your place by taxi." P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Looks good to me! Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
              X