Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Computer] A CD just exploded in my drive...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Computer] A CD just exploded in my drive...

I love the old game Homeworld II... Its the continuing saga of MORMONS IN SPAAAAAAAAAAACEE!!!!!!!... which would be the first game.
    Second game involves protecting the new Homeworld from A Threat From Beyond and unraveling the Mysteries Of The Universe.

Anyway. Old game is old. 2001-2003 if I remember correctly. I'm playing along, the computer is accessing the disc when I hear a most... distressing sound. CLACK followed by various mechanical sounds followed by everything crashing.

Turn off the computer, open the drive manually and find the CD has fractured into thirds.

...needless to say it's unplayable at this point.

So what happened? I've played old CD games before and this hasn't happened. I've got some Very Old Music CDs from Back In The Day that have not ruptured...

Baffling...
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

CD

Maybe the 3 wives had enough and decided to split.

Comment

Many times cds and dvds get taken out of the case improperly and they will stress crack near the center. If you have other ones that have lots of use...look carefully at the centers...you may be surprised.

Comment

Liger, how many times have I told you, don't smack it with a hammer when you lose a game.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
          Liger, how many times have I told you, don't smack it with a hammer when you lose a game.

But I was using the Brass Hammer...

Originally posted by datsun280zxt

Many times cds and dvds get taken out of the case improperly and they will stress crack near the center. If you have other ones that have lots of use...look carefully at the centers...you may be surprised.
          Ya know... it's kind of obvious now that I think about it... Makes sense too, this game gets played Quite Often.

New-in-box copy from Amazon is on it's way. I suppose I wait 3 days for shipping.
          This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
          Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

If you mishandle (bend) a disc badly, you can get a radial crack. Netflix discs seem to end up with a full radius crack or split in two after an average of perhaps 30 trips through the mail. Now what happens to a disk with a crack, even a tiny one, if you spin it at high speed? The crack spreads, then there is nothing to hold the disc together against the centrifugal force. The disk spreads out, which causes other cracks and/or causes it to catch on the surrounding wall.

Some of the faster drives top out at over 10,000RPM. It doesn't take much of a defect or damage to the disc to go catastrophic.

Basically, you just had the rough equivalent of a grinding wheel accident.

Comment

Question: If I make a circular disc out of some kind of adhesive backed plastic film and stick it to the TOP of the disc, could I perhaps extend the life of my discs? Or at least prevent them from failing in the drive...?

Comment

Exploding drive

I seem to recall that not so long ago there seemed to be quite a few "exploding" CD's and DVD's in drives - quite a lot of discussion too!

It seemed that the consensus was that it was or may have been caused by poor quality/cheap discs that were not rated for or able to stand the increasing speeds or CD/DVD drives and processors.

I leave my drives on the default speed for "read" but I choke/throttle the speed back for "write" - I have never had a disc explode and I get few faults in the "write" process as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_shattering

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...ng+CD&gs_rfai=

Comment

Don't leave your disks where direct sunlight can reach them either!

Comment

Good advice

Thanks RB211.

Can that be read to mean "where the sun don't shine"?

Good advice.

I'm trying to envisage how I or anyone else would be able to read or write to 'em though!!

Comment

Jingle all the waaaaaay....

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                      Thanks RB211.

Good advice.

I'm trying to envisage how I or anyone else would be able to read or write to 'em though!!

Extension cable. Do I have to tell you where to stick it?

Comment

Download Nero Drive Speed. It allows you to slow down the maximum spin rpm as well as controlling the spin up and spin down rate. It has the benefit of allowing you to make the drive nearly silent too.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-...iveSpeed.shtml
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Nope

Originally Posted by oldtiffie
                          Thanks RB211.

Good advice.

Originally posted by Liger Zero
                          Extension cable. Do I have to tell you where to stick it?
                          Nope.

No problem sticking it in but keeping it in sure is.

Comment

All in good fun.

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                            Nope.

No problem sticking it in but keeping it in sure is.
                            Really, not what I heard. The bill collector refers to you as "that old tight-arse SOB..."

Comment

I recently received a manual on a new CDR which arrived in a sleeve, cardboard mailer, and manilla envelope. When opened, the disc had three major breaks almost separating it into parts. None of the breaks were radial. With a lot of force I could bend one of the parts U shaped on about a 2" radius without further cracking. Packaging showed no signs of damage and I cannot imagine how the disc was broken.
                              Don Young

Comment

Working...
                              X