Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I tow a BP down the street on the shop crane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Stevenson
    Do you guys have skip trucks in the US ? or is it a European thing?
    I, for one, have never seen or heard of such a thing in the US.

Comment

Tow truck + twenty minutes + cash = moved BP.

Comment

I think you could just drag that on a good pallet adequately bolted down. Have two helpers with pry bars to help at any road imperfections. Keep the tow rope long to avoid lifting the front of the pallet too much. Have some steel pipe handy as rollers if you need them. Go slow. Wave at neighbors.
        "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

There's an ulterior motive to his worships posting, drop the Bridgy in the skip and take it to the scrappy

Regards Ian.
          You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur.Marks
            I, for one, have never seen or heard of such a thing in the US.
            they call them dumpsters in the us ..and you guys are always on about diving in them so they must exist ..

all the best.markj

Comment

Tow Truck

I moved mine in with a tow truck, piece of cake. He was able to boom it right inside.
              Not worth dickin around with any other way. IMHO
              al
              I spent most of my money on women and booze, the rest I just wasted.

Comment

Skip trucks

Dumpsters are not the same as your skips. They are generally smaller and used almost exclusively for commercial waste from stores and restaurants. For demolition and industrial waste we use bins. They have latching double rear doors and are loaded and carried by dedicated trucks. Around here, the big ones are 30 cubic metres, (or 30 cu. yds. close enough.) The house next door, being demolished/renovated/rebuilt, filled three of them at a hair over $1000.00 a pop for disposal.
                Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

yes we have the big square ones that have doors at the back ..they are all carried by the same type design of lifting mechanism on a of truck ..

truck size is relatrive to skip size .

there are skips from 1 ton upwards

funny thing is when they first introduced the word "skip" over here i thought the word was an Americanism...or more likly Australian

all the best.markj
                  Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 12-05-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Since you have an engine hoist, rent or borrow a crappy little trailer and move it on that. Don't be scared to overload it, you are only going a few hundred feet, just make sure you tie down the BP so that it does not tip. My old next door neighbor and I used to swap a lot of machinery back and forth and that is how we did it. Damn engine hoists try to tip just moving them in the garage, I would hate to hit a pot hole with one while your mill swings around.

Comment

Ditto.
                      Rent a trailer.
                      If it was valuable enough to buy in the first place, then spend a dime and do it right.

Comment

Whatever you do please post pictures!

Comment

You can even get them for moving Sherlines around.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/10DP18T.jpg

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I would not trust the cheese wheels on those lifts.

I'd make a skid out of 4x4 lumber. Use the hoist to set it on and bolt it down then left up the front end of the skid and place the FEL under it... set down. Next take 2" ratchet straps and secure mill to bucket and back tractor down the street. Will make a little noise from the bucket dragging but no more then a snowplow passing by. Should not take more then an hour to complete the task including building the skid.

Yes whatever you decide please take pictures .
                            Last edited by Tinkerer; 12-05-2010, 12:40 PM.
                            Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerer
                              I would not trust the cheese wheels on those lifts.

I'd make a skid out of 4x4 lumber. Use the hoist to set it on and bolt it down then left up the front end of the skid and place the FEL under it... set down. Next take 2" ratchet straps and secure mill to bucket and back tractor down the street. Should not take more then an hour to complete the task including building the skid.

Yes whatever you decide please take pictures .
                              Does the tractor have four wheel driver? Weight on the bucket reduces weight on the rear wheels. Do the rear wheels have directional treads? Reduced weight and trying to back down the street might just spin those wheels.

Otherwise, I too would go for a skid if the tractor is up to it. My father and I moved a quite large two floor wooden farmhouse about 5 miles over farmland using nothing but timber skids and two tractors and we didnt break even one window.

Comment

Trailer rental is a good idea as well. Uhaul rents an open trailer 6 x 12 I believe. has 2 axles, it is definitely rated to move a BP. 19.95/day. I think you can rent half day as well. NOT ALL Uhaul locations have these trailers. Call them to find one, so you can save yourself some time and headache. However, I believe you can drop them off at any Uhaul center.

I have four 48" lengths of 1" pipe, I use to move various pieces of equipment around the shop. Using a small block of 2x4, a pry bar and these four rollers, start to finish, I can move the #4 horizontal across the shop (about 75 feet) in about 15 minutes, by myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X